shape
carat
color
clarity

What does a .05 diamond look like in real life?

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
The FI and I went looking at wedding bands yesterday and I am having one custom made. I wss going to go with a wedding band with 5 diamonds that were a good size. Forgive me as I didnt write the specs down. I took a picture of a band that I liked, but the jeweler said it would compete with my e-ring so.....I decided to with smaller diamonds that still look good. Good meaning you don't need a magnifying glass to see them, at least the diamonds I saw that are supposed to be .05 I didn't need a magnifying glss.

I'm having a custom ring made which will be a contoured, shared prong, 14k white gold band with 9 diamonds, a total of 1/2 carat, G-SI1 color. With me doing the math it seems like the stones will be .055. I'm having a difficult time pictureing this so I thought I'd ask PSers. :)

I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders because I kept worrying about what kind of band to get and ended up with a custom band which I"ll get back in March. They had to take my ring to make the impression and I feel naked without my e-ring. :( But will be well worth it in the end.

I am getting married in June 2012 and I'm glad I could CHECK this off my list.

Thank you in advance.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! I tried looking it up, but couldn't find anything. I was going to post a picture of the band I liked, but my computer wants me to choose a program to open it up with and it's driving me nuts that I can't post it. I want to know whether tihs band competes with my e-ring. I love bling and Ii trust the jeweler so....I'm going to see if I can upload it somehow.

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
OK...think I can finally attach a picture. This is the band that he said would compete with my ring so I went with smaller diamonds in the custom band.

Does this compete with my r-ring?

WeddingBand_0.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no! I think that looks lovely! But this is the size you did NOT go for? Either way - this size (IMO) does not compete and if you have slightly smaller stones, they will also not compete but just add that "oomph" of sparkle you are looking for. I'd just suggest you consider a spacer so that the diamonds on the WB do not gouge at the setting on your ERing.

Very nice!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
How big are the side stones on your e-ring?

For my wedding set wedding band - I have it matching perfectly to my e-ring in micropave. I recently got a 5 stone with 4 mm (around 0.2 to 0.25 ct) diamonds. I simply love the size and think it is perfect as a 5 stone especially if you may want to wear it without an e-ering.

I also got a 6 stone band that has around 3.3 mm stones. I think that size goes well with an e-ring but not as nice as the 4 mm as a single ring.

So ... my answer is that I think 0.05 ct will be very tiny and those diamonds in your picture ... I would guess they are around 0.15 ct.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this basically boils down to individual preferences - for me, the band you posted does compete a little from your ering and I would personally go a little smaller in stone size - but that's me, others feel differently and I think it just really depends on what you like and what you think looks best! What is the carat weight of the band you posted?

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
I don't remember the carat of the ring I tried on in the picture. :(

I love bling and love the band in the picture but I already did a custom order for a half carat with 9 diamonds. He showed me 3 bands. The one in the picture, one with smaller diamonds than the .05. I don't think he started the mold so maybe I could change my order. We are already paying $2100 for my custom band. I think with the color and clarity it will be ok but now I'm second guessing. :-/

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
My e ring center is .73

Sidestones are .25 each.

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
Enerchi|1329063457|3124640 said:
Oh no! I think that looks lovely! But this is the size you did NOT go for? Either way - this size (IMO) does not compete and if you have slightly smaller stones, they will also not compete but just add that "oomph" of sparkle you are looking for. I'd just suggest you consider a spacer so that the diamonds on the WB do not gouge at the setting on your ERing.

Very nice!

No I didn't go with this band. I did a custom order of a 9 stone band a total of 1/2 carat. Now I'm second guessing my order. Maybe I should do .10 each.

FairieMoon79

Shiny_Rock
I like the band in the pic with your ering but I also tend to be the girl who prefers a bigger look.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiamondsOnly|1329069367|3124697 said:
I don't remember the carat of the ring I tried on in the picture. :(

I love bling and love the band in the picture but I already did a custom order for a half carat with 9 diamonds. He showed me 3 bands. The one in the picture, one with smaller diamonds than the .05. I don't think he started the mold so maybe I could change my order. We are already paying $2100 for my custom band. I think with the color and clarity it will be ok but now I'm second guessing. :-/

If you love the band in the pic then go for it - as I said, all that matters is what you like! Maybe you should stop production on your current ring until you decide for sure, because you sound a little conflicted and you should make sure you love whatever you choose.

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
I talked to my FI and he said that the custom band we put money down on it will look beautiful and is a nice size. I am going to stop second guessing our decision.

When I get my e ring and wedding band back in March I will post pictures. There are always anniversaries where I can go bigger. :)

Thank you to everyone for your opinions and help. :)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
DiamondsOnly|1329071124|3124727 said:
I talked to my FI and he said that the custom band we put money down on it will look beautiful and is a nice size. I am going to stop second guessing our decision.

When I get my e ring and wedding band back in March I will post pictures. There are always anniversaries where I can go bigger. :)

You made the choice that looked the best for your setting, while you were on site with multiple options available to compare them with. You DID make the right choice - its when you walk away and re think then get opinions, that your mind goes nuts!!! Stop worrying... it will be perfect!

And.... there is that little matter noted in the second statement - there WILL be opportunities for new bling in the future! :D

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiamondsOnly|1329071124|3124727 said:

I'm so glad you're feeling better about your decision! It's going to look beautiful!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
My halfeternity is five point diamonds. In my opinion that is the perfect size because it looks good with most size e-rings. It will look great with yours.

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
Thank you again ladies! I know I made the right decision and can't wait to get my r-ring back along with my wedding band. I will be sure to post pictures in March once I get them back. :)

I feel much better. :)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure it will look great. I can't wait to see it.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is going to look amazing!!! You e-ring is absolutely stunning (my all time favourite style!!!) and even the band pictured compliments it beautifully. My e-ring is similar in size to yours, smaller centre though (.37, .70, .35) and I had an eternity ring that I wore with it for a while that had 10 pointers in it, and it was too overpowering. 5 pointers will be absolutely perfect :love: :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results