shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you wear when going into a fancy store?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear exactly what I wear generally just being about and around town. Whatever I want to wear and whatever I am comfortable in and feel good wearing.

Could be a dress with boots, could be whimsical leggings and a tunic, could be anything in my wardrobe. The bling I wear depends on my mood for that day.

I don't dress for others (unless it is a job interview) and I dress only to please myself.

If I am going into a high end jewelry shop (or whatever shop) I am the customer and what I wear is always right.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love this film and this clip.

I must admit, when I was in LA and went shopping and Rodeo Drive in 2016, I did not encounter such snootiness towards me; however, I was wearing my nicer blings.

And yes, I did go into the hotel and admired its lobby, and visited the stairs featured in the final scene.

DK :))

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this film and this clip.

I must admit, when I was in LA and went shopping and Rodeo Drive in 2016, I did not encounter such snootiness towards me; however, I was wearing my nicer blings.

And yes, I did go into the hotel and admired its lobby, and visited the stairs featured in the final scene.

DK :))

Great movie, saw it again recently and really enjoyed it!

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
I also live in Southern CA and dress pretty casual. I went to South Coast Plaza a few weeks ago and decided to stop in VCA to look at something in person. The sales associate was very nice. Attached are photos of the attire I was wearing. I think you should dress how you feel comfortable.

Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 8.56.37 AM.png

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I also live in Southern CA and dress pretty casual. I went to South Coast Plaza a few weeks ago and decided to stop in VCA to look at something in person. The sales associate was very nice. Attached are photos of the attire I was wearing. I think you should dress how you feel comfortable.

Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 8.56.37 AM.png

Looks like my kind of shopping outfit!

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I’m currently living in Miami so people are dressed up/blinged out all the time! I usually make sure the have nicely trimmed/polished nails and for my hair to look good that day but otherwise just my normal clothes/bag. Except the Tiffany’s near me I poke my head in there looking like a mess all the time since it’s down the block from my daughter’s dance studio and the classes always run late! Usually people are super sweet but I had a less than stellar experience at one of the Cartier stores by me (basically was left to myself for ages despite making an appointment- if I’m just browsing on a whim I don’t care but I was specifically watch shopping!) the good thing is I have a few of most high end stores near me so I can just go to a different one.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Astute sales clerks can figure out if you know about jewelry despite appearances. . I am rarely dressed up but can pick out the quality pieces in a store that are not necessarily the biggest, blingiest or trade marked. So they figure out pretty fast that my appearance is misleading. However, I am not at a store to impress the sales team. Likewise the sales team just wants to make a sale and is not there to judge. Frankly, if I am not in a serious buying mood, I rarely ask a salesperson for help. I figure they are there to earn a commission and I would be waisting their time buy not letting them assist others who may be in the buying mood.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd never set foot in a jewelry store.
None of them have anything I'd ever want ... regardless how they dress.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whatever is comfortable and weather appropriate. I agree with posters that say if the SA judges you based on how you look you won’t want to work with them. But I would say most stores in SoCal are probably smart enough not to judge buying power based on appearances. Personally I’m in shorts or jeans, a t-shirt and usually sneakers, hair in a ponytail, no make-up, my ering, and some VCA somewhere, of course ;-)

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do YOU wear when going to fancy, high end retailers? Spill the beans and post pictures below!

In a jewelry store, I like to see how I am treated when I am not dressed to impress. Although I am old enough now that they seem to know I am for real.

As I said on another thread, if you are shopping for a fancy car (and I never will again), bring a nice car.

Every fancy department store seems to be 100% self-serve so I don't think that matters anymore :cool2:.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I rarely browse. Unless I’m there with friends... I’m either there looking for something specific or I’m there for a service/repair. Which usually means that I’m there before work or between meetings - my time is limited and my attire is business casual at best.

SA’s seem to universally be able to pick up on “person in a hurry”. And I’ve never been late to an engagement thanks to a stop at a luxury boutique - which IMO speaks volumes in and of itself. I certainly couldn’t say that of local jewellery stores or my auto repair place or my doctor’s office or a Home Depot detour or...

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shorts but no bra!. That way you'll receive more attention from male SA. ;))This is what I wear most of the time. If they kick me out of the store so be it.

DSCN0274.JPG
IMG_1535.jpg

Wasn't it you who had a SA skeptical that you would afford a Rolex? Pretty sure that is you who posted. I still laugh about that from time to time :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just remembering now that I have gone into "fancy shmancy" stores dressed in cycling gear and nary a head was (overtly) turned. Pretty impressive how they all kept nonchalant and cool and professional and I always experienced good service dressed any which way. Including my crazy cycling clothing lol.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I went into the Hermes store at Heathrow planning on purchasing a watch. I was dressed as 99% of other air travelers--black pants, black jacket and my normal jewelry. I was neat and clean and wearing make up with my hair not sticking up. We pretty much all look the same in an international airport. I was not carrying a handbag (I rarely do when traveling).
SA did not greet us nor did they approach us. Completely ignored and would not make eye contact. We left after 5 minutes. Very weird.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I once wore a Fanny pack at a Cartier and they still took me seriously!

winetime12

Shiny_Rock
I don't even think twice about what I'm wearing!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy ( purchase) handwoven carpets all over the world. I love the hunt and bargain. In the UAE there is a big rug souk two stories tall and full of stalls. I wear crappy travel clothes, no jewelry, makeup, flip flops or sneakers and no purse. I pick out some carpets and begin to negotiate price. I tell them I am not rich ( very true) and point to my thread worn clothes. They kindly reply that the quality of the carpets I have selected belie my appearance. Same when I shop for jewelry abroad (never big ticket items). Kenny, I agree about buying jewelry in bricks and mortar stores. But it is nice to window shop and to look at the cases to get ideas as to settings and retail prices.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
This isn't jewelry but on Friday I drove 30 minutes away to another town next to us to do some last minute shopping for a special event on Saturday. I was wearing tight light washed high waisted jeans with a summery linen blouse & nude flats & had my six year old daughter in tow.

We don't have a Nordstrom where we live, & therefore we don't have a Charlotte Tilbury. I refuse to buy any makeup online unless it's a repeat or stock up purchase, as I have an odd mixture of cool and warm tones & can only wear specific colors. Well, I walked up frazzled with bags in one hand, my six year old with greasy cinnamon pretzel hands in the other and tried to get the attention of a older woman who was a sales associate and asked her about a certain palette. I could tell from the moment that she turned around that she didn't want to help me & thought most likely that it wouldn't result in a purchase. Her eyes said it all; pure seething judgement. Of what? Who knows but it was obviously going to be unfruitful.

She looked down at my child with disdain despite her keeping to herself and was very short with her answers. There was a lot of awkward pauses & silences where she just looked at me. Her body language was everything & although I was in love with the CT makeup I saw before me I felt unwanted & uncomfortable so I left.

After a few more hours of collecting some necessities, I mustered up the will & confidence to march back up the mall and slink my way into the makeup department. I can't remember if it was confidence or just pure heat exhaustion and delirium, but I spotted a young woman and beelined for her, walking by the woman who so prudishly "helped" me before. This woman was kind & patient & answered every question with glee. She truly made my shopping experience & even interacted with my daughter & was so kind to us. After only about 12 minutes of swatching different products, I purchased an eyeshadow quad, their new face palette, a lip stick, & liquid eyeliner. I spent close to $200 within 15 min & was happy to give her that sale!

I know we're all human and we have our good and bad days, but if they truly want to make a sale, I would aim for making someone's day. & For me personally my shopping experience is made by simply being kind to me & showing a slight interest in your section. It's such a simple idea but it's very effective. You don't have to go over the moon, but genuine kindness is everything.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Whenever I'm in midtown and find I need to pee, I visit Tiffany or Cartier. They have lovely bathrooms. (At least, they did before covid; I haven't tried them since.) Sometimes I stop on the way out to look at the jewelry, and everybody treats me with exquisite politeness. My clothes are generally clean, rarely torn, occasionally odd, and never in fashion.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results