shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you wear when going into a fancy store?

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I have the itch to go tootling around some high end malls and jewelry stores, just for fun, but also to scope out the Mikimoto store. I'm such a casual, no frills person that I have no idea what to wear while shopping so that I get taken somewhat seriously. I live in Southern California, so the dress code here is VERY casual *insert picture of Kim K walking around in compression shorts and a bra*. I never wear more than jeans and a T-shirt usually when I go out.... But I've never had the guts to actually go into some of those fancy-schmancy stores because I feel too conspicuous. :shock: My little farm girl self isn't used to living in the big city yet. SO...

What do YOU wear when going to fancy, high end retailers? Spill the beans and post pictures below!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care about clothes so I never go to stores like that!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^^I have been in fancy jewelry stores though, and I'd be lying if I said I never felt self-conscious, mostly because of my weight. I still go, if I want to, though.

However, something that I've never done is make an appointment to see a jeweler. I think the pressure to buy would be huge, and I prefer to just browse freely.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably not in my shorts and classic Crocs :lol-2: , but treggings and sling back Crocs instead.

However, I would definitely wear some of my nicer jewellery pieces.

When I was in Vancouver last and met up with @mochiko42 and @pearaffair ; we went for a nice lunch first, then went into all the fine jewellery stores nearby for some bling therapy.

We were dressed smart-casually, however, we were definitely blinged up.

DK :))

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
^^I have been in fancy jewelry stores though, and I'd be lying if I said I never felt self-conscious, mostly because of my weight. I still go, if I want to, though.

However, something that I've never done is make an appointment to see a jeweler. I think the pressure to buy would be huge, and I prefer to just browse freely.

what did you wear when you went into high end jewelry stores? That's what I wanna do

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Probably not in my shorts and classic Crocs :lol-2: , but treggings and sling back Crocs instead.

However, I would definitely wear some of my nicer jewellery pieces.

When I was in Vancouver last and met up with @mochiko42 and @pearaffair ; we went for a nice lunch first, then went into all the fine jewellery stores nearby for some bling therapy.

We were dressed smart-casually, however, we were definitely blinged up.

Haha! that made me laugh! Can you give me an example of a smart-casual outfit that you might wear?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha! that made me laugh! Can you give me an example of a smart-casual outfit that you might wear?

My colder weather outfit is a check flannel shirt and treggings (as in thicker leggings), a handbag of some sort due to lack of pockets in the treggings, and smarter shoes.

Wearing my nicer jewellery pieces definitely gives me more confident in walking into the fine jewellery stores.

I went into the main Mikimoto store in London wearing my own 8-9mm gem-quality culture freshwater pearls, and asked to try on one of their strands. It was not their top quality ones as my own necklace was nicer when placed side by side! :lol-2:

I was at a Tiffany concession in Selfridges, a big department store in London, and asked to try one of their EC diamond ring with micropaved diamond halo and paved shank. I enquired about the specification and the price, and it was smaller and lower in colour compared with my own EC, and yes, I did tell the sale assistant the spec of my EC. :lol-2:

I think it’s mostly a question of attitude. If you go in acting like you belong, you’ll be fine. (for the most part. Of course some snobby SAs exist). If you’d like to go in with your “armour” ready; I’d wear some nice bling at least, even if you’re casually dressed.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s mostly a question of attitude. If you go in acting like you belong, you’ll be fine. (for the most part. Of course some snobby SAs exist). If you’d like to go in with your “armour” ready; I’d wear some nice bling at least, even if you’re casually dressed.

Very true re: attitude.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sprinkles - jeans and a blazer, and some nice jewelry. And makeup, and made sure my hair wasn't in a complete state, even if not freshly styled.

ETA: Black or very dark indigo jeans with smart leather ankle boots or shoes. Not pale-blue stonewash jeans, lol!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock

love this! attitude is everything!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Sprinkles - jeans and a blazer, and some nice jewelry. And makeup, and made sure my hair wasn't in a complete state, even if not freshly styled.

ETA: Black or very dark indigo jeans with smart leather ankle boots or shoes. Not pale-blue stonewash jeans, lol!

Ooo this is perfect! Dark wash jeans are my favorite, I have a couple nice pairs. Thanks!

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
My philosophy is wear whatever you want and makes you feel good. Snobs will be snobs, it's more about how you carry yourself! I dress very casually (ripped jeans and T-shirt or work out clothes), but usually have on my ER and a designer purse. Nothing to prove to the SAs! I haven't had any issues with trying on jewelry or test driving cars over 6 figures (I also look super young too)!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
My philosophy is wear whatever you want and makes you feel good. Snobs will be snobs, it's more about how you carry yourself! I dress very casually (ripped jeans and T-shirt or work out clothes), but usually have on my ER and a designer purse. Nothing to prove to the SAs! I haven't had any issues with trying on jewelry or test driving cars over 6 figures (I also look super young too)!

Love it! I agree, I don't want to work with someone who is snobby at my just for how I'm dressed. They don't know my character, or what's in my bank account!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
My Dear Dad looks about as pitiful as they come. His jeans have patches on the knees, he only wears 20 year old plaid flannel shirts that are also patched with non-matching fabric. He wears hand me down shoes. We went into the car dealership recently after his 1999 truck finally died. The SA were very nice when he was looking at brand new 2021 Ford F150s. When he told them he was interested, they kindly asked if he wanted financing for the $55,000 price tag. He goes "can I write a personal check?"

just goes to show that people shouldn't judge based on clothes! I wish I had half my dad's indifference when it comes to appearances haha!

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Sprinkles&Stones If you're going to South Coast Plaza or Fashion Island no one cares what you wear. I'm super casual and have never had an issue. I have a friend who is a billionaire and you'd never know it- very casual!!!
It's very amusing to me when I go to Fashion Island, as the locals definitely stand out!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If there’s anything Pretty Woman taught me, aside from turning tricks leads to lasting love, it’s that “stores are never nice to people, they’re nice to credit cards.”

I wear whatever I want.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
@Sprinkles&Stones If you're going to South Coast Plaza or Fashion Island no one cares what you wear. I'm super casual and have never had an issue. I have a friend who is a billionaire and you'd never know it- very casual!!!
It's very amusing to me when I go to Fashion Island, as the locals definitely stand out!

That's so funny you mention that! So true! We went to the South Coast Plaza a while ago to pick up a standard MacBook Pro for my hubby. He was *so nervous* walking around the mall with it, he was like "is it safe to walk around with a $1,500 computer?!" as soon as we walked in we laughed, seeing people with their $10,000 Hermes purses, their Louis Vuitton's, etc etc. We had a good laugh about that later. Two little country bumpkins living in the city :)

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
If there’s anything Pretty Woman taught me, aside from turning tricks leads to lasting love, it’s that “stores are never nice to people, they’re nice to credit cards.”

I wear whatever I want.

Amen! My 2 gay uncles went into some very high end jewelry store in New York. They also dress casual, in flannel and plaid. My uncle was looking at a very expensive diamond tennis bracelet, when the SA rudely snatched it away from him and told him they only want serious buyers to ask to try them on. His husband, my other uncle, walked over and slapped his black Centurion American Express card down and said "will this suffice?" aka "screw you!" :)

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amen! My 2 gay uncles went into some very high end jewelry store in New York. They also dress casual, in flannel and plaid. My uncle was looking at a very expensive diamond tennis bracelet, when the SA rudely snatched it away from him and told him they only want serious buyers to ask to try them on. His husband, my other uncle, walked over and slapped his black Centurion American Express card down and said "will this suffice?" aka "screw you!" :)
1624574730167.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
*insert picture of Kim K walking around in compression shorts and a bra*. I never wear more than jeans and a T-shirt usually when I go out.... But I've never had the guts to actually go into some of those fancy-schmancy stores because I feel too conspicuous. :shock: My little farm girl self isn't used to living in the big city yet. SO...
Shorts but no bra!. That way you'll receive more attention from male SA. ;))This is what I wear most of the time. If they kick me out of the store so be it.

DSCN0274.JPG
IMG_1535.jpg

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I purposefully wear casual clothes when shopping in high end places. If the SA can't treat every person who walks into the shop with the same respect and attentiveness, they don't deserve a sales commission on my pitiful purchase. Even someone who is not able to buy that day, may one day be in a position to do so, and will remember that one good experience. Brand loyalty can start before even the first purchase.

All that windy soapboxing to say, wear what you are comfortable in and appearances be damned. So before going into a store, I hide my watch which is the only truly blingy item that I own under my sleeve, and turn my rings around palmside so they look like plain bands. Have fun!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Summer in Socal? I wear my $10 T-shirt dresses everywhere. Wear a black one.....great backdrop for bling! I have noticed that the truly rich people don't give a d@mn about what wear...the wannabes are the ones that deck out in brand name head to toe....

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Summer in Socal? I wear my $10 T-shirt dresses everywhere. Wear a black one.....great backdrop for bling! I have noticed that the truly rich people don't give a d@mn about what wear...the wannabes are the ones that deck out in brand name head to toe....
:tongue:

toe 13128.jpg

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock

I like going to VCA, Cartier, etc but I limit my big spending to an expensive purse every few years. When going to those stores, I go as a walk-in, especially since I already know I’m not buying. I agree, first and foremost, with having the right attitude - like @AllAboardTheBlingTrain said. Don’t go in snooty but walk in with confidence like you are comfortable being there, smile and ask questions about their products. Sometimes I say I’m looking for birthday ideas for things my husband can buy me later (an excuse to try on stuff).

As far as clothing, I keep it authentically me with dark Levi jeans, ballet flats and a comfy Banana Republic tee (ie not expensive clothing) plus an Ann Taylor blazer if it’s not too hot outside. I always have a nice purse on me (usually Hermès but sometimes it’s Tory Burch), pearl stud earrings and my nice ER.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I personally can’t wear Jeans and blazer in hot So Cal summers…..especially not like at a outdoor mall like fashion island. I’d have to bring my personal assistants to carry a parasol and a fan.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know what pees me off the most about those snooty shop assistants
We basically did the same job
so how f-ing dear they look down their nose at me in my work boots and hardwear store uniform when i probably earned at least as much as most of them
And you know i had a lot more product knowledge and experience selling what i did than what a lot of them did selling more fancy things

i think what used to anoy me the most is im always really nice to everyone who walked in the door regardless of how they dressed and i deserve the same respect back when i go shopping

have always found the staff at jewlwry stores from high end to a mall kiosk to be really good

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There aren’t many high end stores near where I live so I’ve done most of my luxury shopping online (Hermes scarves, Gucci bags and so on). And I’m so thrifty (ie cheap!) that my VCA is preloved! Thus no need to worry about being dressed the correct way. In the past, though, I’ve shopped in person very smart casual with added bling.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results