shape
carat
color
clarity

What do YOU wear on a plane?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This thread is fascinating, and explains the range of fem-wear I see on flights.

Here are a guy''s thoughts...

I am all about getting to-on-off in fast order. I fly enough to be boarded first so I count on having 15-20 mins of laptop time as the boarding continues. As I approach security my watch, billfold, phone, etc., go into the pocket of a light jacket & it''s folded into the tray. I wear ez slip-on loafers & thick socks (to avoid the scary floor).

Domestic-wear is light cotton slacks, short-sleeved shirt and comfy light jacket.
Overseas-overnight-wear is fav jeans, two t-shirts (one long-sleeve) and a pullover hoodie since my ears get cold, esp at window seat.

Domestic accessories: Sunglasses, iPod-headphones, book, laptop, ibuprofen.
Add when going overseas: Bottled water, cheezits, pillow and my own brush/paste or the business/first personal survival kit.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2009 12:08:26 AM
Author: John Pollard
This thread is fascinating, and explains the range of fem-wear I see on flights.

I am all about getting to-on-off in fast order. I fly enough to be boarded first so I count on having 15-20 mins of laptop time as the boarding continues. As I approach security my watch, billfold, phone, etc., go into the pocket of a light jacket & it''s folded into the tray. I wear ez slip-on loafers & thick socks (to avoid the scary floor).

Domestic-wear is light cotton slacks, short-sleeved shirt and comfy light jacket.
Overseas-overnight-wear is fav jeans, two t-shirts (one long-sleeve) and a pullover hoodie since my ears get cold, esp at window seat.

Add when going overseas: Bottled water, cheezits, pillow and my own brush/paste or the business/first personal survival kit.
Cheezits?

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
FI''s company flies us back and forth between Germany and the US and we are usually business or first class. People that pass us must think I am such a bum. I am usually in sweats, uggs and a hoodie. I always have my glasses on and pretty much look like crap. I am sure they are wondering what the heck that gross looking kid is doing siting in the expensive seats.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I used to go totally comfy. Then I had two terrible experiences with lost luggage. After having to give a presentation in borrowed clothes and shoes that didn''t fit and then having to spend several hundred dollars on clothes in Venice (our luggage was lost for 4 days on an island without vehicles and only designer boutiques), I now dress as if I would have to wear the outfit for the entire trip. And, I take an extra outfit and lots of undies in my carryon.

NuggetBrain

Shiny_Rock
Jeans, a t-shirt or tank top, a zip up sweater or hoodie, and flip flops (I only seem to travel in the later spring, summer and early fall). I always make sure to have a pair of fuzzy socks in my carry on just in case my feet get cold on the plane.

I envy you guys that can sleep on a plane, no matter how much I want to I can never manage to doze off. Its so uncomfortable!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just flew yesterday and wore jeans, a cute floaty top with a sparkly neckline, and flip flops. I don''t dress for comfort or survival when I fly, I go for cuteness...

The 2nd leg of my flight I had a 17 yr old boy sitting next to me who whipped out a bottle of xanax and what he claimed were percosets before we took off. He said that he got so freaked out about flying that he had to have the xanax, then of course he offered me some. First time anyone''s ever offered me drugs on a plane...it was an interesting flight.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 12:01:20 AM
Author: Dee*Jay

Date: 4/8/2009 11:49:08 PM
Author: popcorn

Date: 4/8/2009 11:45:26 AM
Author: princesss
I tend to dress nicely in the airport so that they will look at me and think ''Hmmm...upgrade material'' if they need to/can upgrade anybody. I wear my Uggs because they''re easy-on, easy-off, but otherwise it''s slacks/khakis and a nice top. If it''s a long flight, I bring clothes to change into. Sweat pants, a cami, and a long sleeved shirt. Then I change in the airplane bathroom. Yeah, I''ve got a tiny little gymnast hidden in me somewhere.

hahahahahhahahahha, love the gymnast comment.

I usually wear my yoga pants, t-shirt, sneakers. I''ll bring a sweatshirt with me and one of those u shaped pillows for my neck. I''m all about comfort when i fly. But it depends on how long the flight is. The yoga pants, sweatshirt, etc. for for anything over 6 hours. Anything less than that, jeans, t-shirt.

I heard an interview with someone about plane safety and he said you should never wear heels or nylons on a plane in case of a crash. The heels may puncture a raft and nylons may melt onto your skin. I wouldn''t wear heels on a plane since my feet swell.
Boy... I hesitate to post this but... I know one of the survivors of the plane that crashed in Cious City in ''89 and this actually happened to her. Very very not good...

I usually wear jeans or lounge pants, tennis shoes or boots, and a couple of layers on top becuase I''m always too hot/too cold.

And totally off topic, but my big fear is not that the plane is going to crash, but that it''s going to crash *into the ocean,* I won''t die in the crash... but then I''ll be eaten by sharks!
32.gif
(Seriously, I think about this. Maybe I need some of those meds you all been talking about... )
Wow! I would love to hear that story . . .

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I fly maybe twice a month (four if you count the return flights):

I wear jeans and a comfortable top (sweater, cotton shirt, etc). Sometimes I wear sneakers, but in the winter I love to wear zip up boots because they're easy to get on and off. I'll wear flip flops in the summer. The meetings I go to after getting off the plane are very casual, so jeans and a decent top (ie not a graphic tshirt) are good enough. I'm lucky that I don't have to wear business clothes while traveling because I like to be comfortable.

Also, I almost always bring a jacket, even when it's warmer (unless it's really hot). Planes are often cold and I like to put my jacket behind my lower back for support if I'm not wearing it.

ETA: On the question of upgrades: your clothing doesn't affect your chance of upgrading, but your frequent flier status does (if they looked at my clothing I would never be upgraded). I love getting upgrades and sitting next to the guys in suits while I'm all comfy in my jeans and sneakers. I bet they're secretly jealous
2.gif

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 11:24:03 AM
Author: katamari
I used to go totally comfy. Then I had two terrible experiences with lost luggage. After having to give a presentation in borrowed clothes and shoes that didn''t fit and then having to spend several hundred dollars on clothes in Venice (our luggage was lost for 4 days on an island without vehicles and only designer boutiques), I now dress as if I would have to wear the outfit for the entire trip. And, I take an extra outfit and lots of undies in my carryon.
I hear you on this one. I flew the evening before a morning meeting a few weeks ago in jeans and a comfy top. I had carried on, but they had made me check my luggage plane side thru to my destination (I had a connection). I got to my final destination delayed and then could not find my luggage anywhere. It was 900pm and I was trying to figure out what the heck I was going to do to find appropriate clothing before a morning meeting. I got lucky in that somehow my bag beat me and it was sitting outside the luggage claim office. After that I refuse to fly with a connection unless it is unavoidable and I wear something I could wear for work. A near miss was enough for me.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
What I saw at the Houston airport a few months ago, really got me (& others) laughing.
A grown woman was walking around in her pajamas, pulling a bag and holding a normal bed pillow.
She had on old fuzzy slippers too. The PJ''s were pants and button up front top, standard issue
with what looked like dogs and puppies all over. Poor thing ....

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/9/2009 7:23:06 AM
Author: Lorelei

Cheezits?
Yum.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/9/2009 11:24:03 AM
Author: katamari
I used to go totally comfy. Then I had two terrible experiences with lost luggage. After having to give a presentation in borrowed clothes and shoes that didn't fit and then having to spend several hundred dollars on clothes in Venice (our luggage was lost for 4 days on an island without vehicles and only designer boutiques), I now dress as if I would have to wear the outfit for the entire trip. And, I take an extra outfit and lots of undies in my carryon.
Definitely. Always include a day or two of clothing in your carry-on. The wife learned this recently - she made the connection to Europe but her luggage was delayed by a day. Of course this required that she go shopping.

Hmm.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 5:01:13 PM
Author: bebe

What I saw at the Houston airport a few months ago, really got me (& others) laughing.
A grown woman was walking around in her pajamas, pulling a bag and holding a normal bed pillow.
She had on old fuzzy slippers too. The PJ''s were pants and button up front top, standard issue
with what looked like dogs and puppies all over. Poor thing ....

Don''t even get me started on people wearing PJs in public! If you can put on PJs, you can put on comfortable pants and a cute top. I highly doubt any of the people who wear PJs in public actually slept in them, rolled out of bed and went somewhere.

Wear clothes, people! Not PJs! PJs are not acceptable casual wear!

And the pillow thing I do not get at all. How is having a GIANT (compared to the size of the seats) pillow with you comfortable?

April20

Ideal_Rock
I was on a 730am flight a couple weeks ago and there were two women waiting for the plane that were in PJs. And not cute ones. I mean old flannel bottoms and ratty t-shirts. It was not pretty. I know it was an early-ish morning flight and all, but I just can''t see why they couldn''t put on something better than that. They had pillows with them as well. It was an 1.5 hour flight!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
mmmmm . . . Cheezits . . . nom nom nom . . .

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 12:29:44 PM
Author: elrohwen

ETA: On the question of upgrades: your clothing doesn't affect your chance of upgrading, but your frequent flier status does (if they looked at my clothing I would never be upgraded). I love getting upgrades and sitting next to the guys in suits while I'm all comfy in my jeans and sneakers. I bet they're secretly jealous
2.gif

Elrohwen, I had always assumed the same, but in the last few years I've flown a number of airlines whose FF programs I was not a member (nor had I input any Star Alliance data or equiv.) yet still been bumped up to first class. Did the counter agent think I was cute? Did I remind him of his best friend from high school? Had there been a marking that I had purchased the tickets through a premier partnership site? Was it the combination of nice luggage, stylish outfit, friendly demeanor and that my friends and I made him laugh while we were checking in? I'm not sure. But at least sometimes it's because of something other than your FF status.

That said, though, I do agree with you that FF Gold/Platinum status is sometimes the likely cause of the "bumpage luck." (Oh, and I agree, the "suits" are probably more than a little jealous of your comfy clothes-- traveling for business can be awful!)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
British Airways upgraded four of our Chicago-to-Heathrow-to-Athens plane tickets from coach to first class.
The four of us weren''t frequent fliers, we weren''t exceptionally well dressed, but we were traveling with 42 teenagers. The woman who upgraded us said "It looks like you might deserve an upgrade."
That woman is a saint.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2009 5:23:32 PM

Date: 4/9/2009 7:23:06 AM
Author: Lorelei

Cheezits?
Yum.
LOL!!!
9.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 8:12:55 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis

Date: 4/9/2009 12:29:44 PM

2.gif

Elrohwen, I had always assumed the same, but in the last few years I've flown a number of airlines whose FF programs I was not a member (nor had I input any Star Alliance data or equiv.) yet still been bumped up to first class. Did the counter agent think I was cute? Did I remind him of his best friend from high school? Had there been a marking that I had purchased the tickets through a premier partnership site? Was it the combination of nice luggage, stylish outfit, friendly demeanor and that my friends and I made him laugh while we were checking in? I'm not sure. But at least sometimes it's because of something other than your FF status.

That said, though, I do agree with you that FF Gold/Platinum status is sometimes the likely cause of the 'bumpage luck.' (Oh, and I agree, the 'suits' are probably more than a little jealous of your comfy clothes-- traveling for business can be awful!)
Interesting! I typically know my upgrade status before I even arrive at the airport and can look it up. At least with Continental, the upgrades are based on whether you have status with them and how long you've had status (they state this on their website, so I doubt they're deviating too much). They usually bump people up on the computer system long before anyone has arrived to check in, so I don't think they're choosing random fliers to upgrade. Other airlines might do it differently though; Continental's the only one I regularly get bumped up on. I would be p*ssed if some stylish girl without FF status got bumped up ahead of me!
2.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Depends on where I''m going. Usually just jeans, t-shirt, trainers--comfy stuff--although when I flew to Australia, I wore pjs because it was a lonnnnng flight and I was sick.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t fly often, but when I do it''s usually a velour tracksuit and slip on shoes (with socks! I will NOT go barefoot for one second in an airport!). I like to sleep on flights so I pick something comfy.

I normally fly Southwest which doesn''t have a first class (I think), so upgrades are very much not an issue!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I know it's usually FF miles that get you upgraded, but the few times I dressed up in college to fly, the gate attendant called me over (and not by name...she sent somebody to get me) and upgraded me. Lesson learned! So now I try to wear slacks and a nice top. I can change into comfy clothes on the plane if I need them.

Thing, I definitely agree on PJs in public, but I can't give up my Uggs! Mostly because I have terrible circulation and if my hands and feet get too cold they turn blue and I can't use them for much beyond "Poke button. Pick up foot. Set down foot." Trying fine motor skills when my hands and feet are cold doesn't happen. And if my feet stay warm, my hands tend to be okay. Weird, but true. So the Uggs stay.
12.gif

ETA: I should add the two times I got bumped up based on appearance, it was a long-haul flight (Chicago - Hong Kong, and Tokyo to San Francisco) on United.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2009 12:34:55 PM
I know it''s usually FF miles that get you upgraded, but the few times I dressed up in college to fly, the gate attendant called me over (and not by name...she sent somebody to get me) and upgraded me. Lesson learned! So now I try to wear slacks and a nice top. I can change into comfy clothes on the plane if I need them.

Thing, I definitely agree on PJs in public, but I can''t give up my Uggs! Mostly because I have terrible circulation and if my hands and feet get too cold they turn blue and I can''t use them for much beyond ''Poke button. Pick up foot. Set down foot.'' Trying fine motor skills when my hands and feet are cold doesn''t happen. And if my feet stay warm, my hands tend to be okay. Weird, but true. So the Uggs stay.
12.gif

ETA: I should add the two times I got bumped up based on appearance, it was a long-haul flight (Chicago - Hong Kong, and Tokyo to San Francisco) on United.
That''s the best time to get bumped up! Lucky you. I''ll have to try dressing up for longer flights now (though like I said before, if I was a FF member on that airline and noticed lots of good looking people getting bumped ahead of me, I''d be very unhappy with the airline!)

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2009 1:13:05 PM

Date: 4/10/2009 12:34:55 PM
I know it''s usually FF miles that get you upgraded, but the few times I dressed up in college to fly, the gate attendant called me over (and not by name...she sent somebody to get me) and upgraded me. Lesson learned! So now I try to wear slacks and a nice top. I can change into comfy clothes on the plane if I need them.

Thing, I definitely agree on PJs in public, but I can''t give up my Uggs! Mostly because I have terrible circulation and if my hands and feet get too cold they turn blue and I can''t use them for much beyond ''Poke button. Pick up foot. Set down foot.'' Trying fine motor skills when my hands and feet are cold doesn''t happen. And if my feet stay warm, my hands tend to be okay. Weird, but true. So the Uggs stay.
12.gif

That''s the best time to get bumped up! Lucky you. I''ll have to try dressing up for longer flights now (though like I said before, if I was a FF member on that airline and noticed lots of good looking people getting bumped ahead of me, I''d be very unhappy with the airline!)
Yeah, I know what you mean. At the time I was a *huge* United flyer (2x per year on these long hauls for years, plus random little trips) so I''m sure when they took my ticket they checked my status. I think the way I was dressed got my foot in the door, so to speak. Plus it''s just a good habit to have, especially if you ever have to fly standby. My friend''s dad is a pilot and has flown for Continental for years, and he was telling me about how your appearance (clothing-wise) can affect your odds of getting on a flight. Verrrrry interesting.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2009 1:26:15 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean. At the time I was a *huge* United flyer (2x per year on these long hauls for years, plus random little trips) so I''m sure when they took my ticket they checked my status. I think the way I was dressed got my foot in the door, so to speak. Plus it''s just a good habit to have, especially if you ever have to fly standby. My friend''s dad is a pilot and has flown for Continental for years, and he was telling me about how your appearance (clothing-wise) can affect your odds of getting on a flight. Verrrrry interesting.
This is pretty fascinating, considering how much I fly. By dressing well, are they just looking for people who don''t look like bums? Or are they looking for someone to actually look nice? I don''t look like a bum, but I do wear jeans. In the future I will absolutely pay more attention to what I wear on longer flights (or flights with airlines I don''t have status with).

Honestly, most of the planes I''m on are so small that they don''t have first class sections anyway
15.gif
I just cross my fingers that I don''t have to sit next to anyone.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
What he told me was that the neater you are and more dressed up, the more likely they are to feel comfortable seating you in *any* area of the plane. When you fly standby, they look to see if they have any seats they can fill. So they try to fill it with people who look the part. So if you''re nicely dressed, you''re able to be sat in first or business class because you look the part. Nobody walking through would say, "Oh...standby passenger" with a wrinkled nose. And I have seen standby passengers in jeans get passed over.

Plus, dressing up means you don''t feel really weird when you''re sat next to a member of the Danish royal family. Sitting next to her in my PJs would have been a little awkward.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2009 1:56:50 PM
What he told me was that the neater you are and more dressed up, the more likely they are to feel comfortable seating you in *any* area of the plane. When you fly standby, they look to see if they have any seats they can fill. So they try to fill it with people who look the part. So if you''re nicely dressed, you''re able to be sat in first or business class because you look the part. Nobody walking through would say, ''Oh...standby passenger'' with a wrinkled nose. And I have seen standby passengers in jeans get passed over.

Plus, dressing up means you don''t feel really weird when you''re sat next to a member of the Danish royal family. Sitting next to her in my PJs would have been a little awkward.

Danish royalty? DANISH ROYALTY?? TOO MANY HAMLET PUNS BECAUSE OF YOUR SELECTION, PRINCESS! LOL

Girl in scuzzy sweats walks into first class and sits next to member of the Danish Royal family, who mutters to herself,
"O, that this too too velour-cover''d flesh would melt,
thaw and resolve itself into a dew... back in coach..."

-OR-

UNNAMED DANISH ROYALTY: "How weary, stale, flat, and unprofitable
Seem to me all the upgraded coach travelers of this world."
PJ-WEARING TRAVELER: Uh... what did you say to me?????
UNNAMED DANISH ROYALTY: "I''ll speak to it though Hell itself should gape
And bid me hold my peace." -OR-

-OR-

The PJ-clad woman steps parts the first-class curtain, plops down, removes her uggs to air her feet out then begins to brush Cinnabon crumbs off her jammies and onto her seatmate.
UNNAMED DANISH ROYALTY: "I must be cruel, only to be kind:
Thus bad begins and worse remains behind."
PJ-WEARING TRAVELER: Eh, you talkin'' to me????
UNNAMED DANISH ROYALTY: "Thou wretched, rash, intruding fool, farewell!
I took thee for thy better."

--------------------------------------------------------
In essence, my lengthy arguments in favor of dressing well on plane can be reduced to words from the wise Polonius:

"Be thou familiar, but by no means vulgar." -Act I, Scene iii

"Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
But not express''d in fancy; rich, not gaudy;
For the apparel oft proclaims the man." --Act I, Scene iii

(Ah, my old AP English teacher would be so proud....
34.gif
9.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results