shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you use to clean your ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

juicy4diamonds

Rough_Rock
I have been loving the way that my ring has been *sparkling* ever since I got engaged. I have been very obsessive about cleaning it too! I was just wondering if there is a proper way to clean platinum and diamonds. Windex? Jewelry cleaner? Is it possible to clean a ring too much?

bling

Shiny_Rock
i hope not! i clean mine everyday too...a hot soak in some water with dawn liquid detergent..then a scrub down with a baby toothbrush..once in a while a good spritz with windex...but thats about it. my fiance thinks im nuts cleaning it so much, and i have to admit, i might be borderline obsessive!
appl.gif
rodent.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I use a Sonicare toothbrush once per week, and I clean my ring daily with a soft toothbrush and a solution of white vinegar and water. White vinegar is great at cutting through grease and extraneous crud.
1.gif
Can't in good conscience recommend Windex because it's tested on animals. Plus, it stinks.
sad.gif

As for cleaning a ring too much, yes, I believe it's possible, if it interferes with your daily activities.
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Used to use Windex and now I use Spic and Span...thanks Cindy!
1.gif

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
So, Are you supposed to just soak it in windex???

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steam... or hot water does the trick for me. Diamonds do catch more dirt than other stones, but some frequent 'hot-tub' treatment (such as running hot water on the ring placed on a paper filter, just not over the drain, of course) does the trick well. If you are not pleased with this kind of non-invasive treatment, than, well, your stone would stand most kemicals in the house (cleaners meant to remove grease are best, but not those meant to remove stains from glass in dishwashers - these tend to deposit a nasty film after frequent use).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get a little toothbrush or something that lets you scrub the pavilion of the stone (the bottom) through the prongs. This is what gets most dirty for me...and drives me nuts. If I can see a white film on it (soap scum, lotions)....I can't rest til it's cleaned.
1.gif
So you can either soak it in windex overnight, then scrub in the morning or just dip the ring and scrub if you are in a hurry. Make sure it's platinum to use windex or spic and span....white gold probably won't like it.
2.gif

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
thanks!! that was really helpful....

hey, mara, do you think there's anything wrong with the stuller setting?? Can you go look at my post: PIC OF RING

Do you think it's too much metal ,.. and unpolished? And do you know what are "joints" or "invisible joints"

Barbug

Toska

Shiny_Rock
I use a jewellery cleaning solution which contains <5% non ionic surfactants, for my diamond ring and all gold jewellery.

It works great.
Up_to_something.gif

Any pro's care to chime in and let me know if using this stuff is bad for diamonds or gold?
confused.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I use jewelry cleaner and a soft toothbrush. When I travel, I take individually wrapped alcohal pads and use them to wipe of the layer of lotion and dirt that accumulates. They work great.

Meraj

Rough_Rock
I never thought to use my sonicare toothbrush so I'll have to try it to clean my ring. It seems like no matter what I do I can't get it as clean as when I bring it into the jewelers where they have steam cleaners. (not the vibrating cleaner but they actually use steam to clean the ring). I wonder if anyone knows where to get such a machine?

sirene

Rough_Rock
I use an ammonia and water solution in the ultrasonic and the steam wand on the cappucino machine. I think I'm kind of obsessive, but it sure keeps everything sparkly
tongue.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Try the solution of white vinegar and water.
1.gif
It's two parts water, one part vinegar.

I have a spray bottle filled with white vinegar, water, and about fifteen drops of witch hazel (available at any drug store, dirt cheap) to clean all glass surfaces in my house -mirrors, televisions, coffee table tops, windows, my computer monitor...the list goes on.
1.gif
I've never found anything that works better. So many people have chemical sensitivities that they don't even know about...this eliminates the problem of having extraneous chemicals floating around your indoor air. Especially good if you have children, pets, the elderly, asthmatics, or people with compromised immune systems around.
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sirene,

That is VERY obsessive (lol). . .but, I would do the same thing if I had a cappacinno maker
1.gif

I soak my jewelry in 50/50 ammonia and water, scrub with a toothbrush, then dry with a paper towel. It works good enough between jewelry store cleanings and it's about all I can do while watching my kids - they ALWAYS act up more while I'm cleaning my jewelry!!!

Michelle

sirene

Rough_Rock
Michelle--I know
1.gif
! I don't actually use steam that often because I'm too lazy and the Branson does a superb job. I only got the ultrasonic a few weeks ago and it really does make a difference. If I were super obsessive, I think I would get one of those air canisters and blast 'em dry, too.

P.S. My sister got me the cappucino maker for Christmas last year--not to make coffee but for cleaning! LOL

Carmen

Rough_Rock

Everynight before I go to bed, I take a CLEAR orange juice glass..... put dishwashing soap, splash of amnonia.... and hot water....*stir* drop my 2 carat in...... put it on my night stand and go to sleep.....

In the morning... just rinse with hot water...... that keeps it clean and free from build up which is hard to clean...

Carmen

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
Well you girls all put me to shame! I have been married since March and have never cleaned my rings (except for the occaisonal rinse)! I need to get on a cleaning program!!! What's the point of having a beautiful ACA stone if I don't ever clean it???

Groovy Chick

Shiny_Rock
Oh my God i'm totally the same, Juicy! I got engaged two weeks ago and im ridiculously obsessed with cleaning my 1.5 carat diamond platinum ring. My electric toothbrush was working well with amonia until yesterday i gave in and purchased an ultrasonic cleaner from a jewellery store. It came with special jewellery cleaner and it does the most magic job of cleaning my ring. It was only $50 (New Zealand) and it's a little white box that looks soooo cute on my dresser. It does such a mint job on my ring in 3 minutes flat while i put on my make-up. The jewellery cleaner seems to give it a lovely soft sparkle. I'd totally recommend an ultrasonic coz it saves so much time and will never scratch the metal and it gets it soooo cleeeean!! My fiance thinks i'm nuts.

Pear Princess

Groovy Chick

Shiny_Rock
Oooooooh! Juicy4diams, i've just read your "Cinderella Proposal" thread in Show me the Ring and all i can say is "Wow!!" You go girl - just don't blind anybody with that glistening rock. What a lovely proposal. I'm dying to share my story but don't have a dig cam so am waiting to organise pics.

BTW, to answer your question about whether or not you can clean your ring too much: IMO i don't think you can clean your ring too OFTEN, however, most jewellery cleaning solutions have warnings on the bottles about not leaving in the solution for longer than a stipulated time. (Carmen, you may want to check with a jeweller about leaving your diamond in amonia overnight.) Probably, quick regular cleans are best. The ultrasonic is so good coz it eliminates any risk of scratching or other damage.

Pear Princess

Toska

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 12/8/2003 1:11:52 AM Pear Princess wrote:

Oh my God i'm totally the same, Juicy! I got engaged two weeks ago and im ridiculously obsessed with cleaning my 1.5 carat diamond platinum ring. My electric toothbrush was working well with amonia until yesterday i gave in and purchased an ultrasonic cleaner from a jewellery store. It came with special jewellery cleaner and it does the most magic job of cleaning my ring. It was only $50 (New Zealand) and it's a little white box that looks soooo cute on my dresser. It does such a mint job on my ring in 3 minutes flat while i put on my make-up. The jewellery cleaner seems to give it a lovely soft sparkle. I'd totally recommend an ultrasonic coz it saves so much time and will never scratch the metal and it gets it soooo cleeeean!! My fiance thinks i'm nuts.

Pear Princess----------------

I just bought an ultrasonic cleaner online for $99.50 AUD ($73.60 USD), woohoo. I am going to give it to my girl as a present. What sort of cleaning solution can you use in it? Is it possible to use only detergent and water?

appl.gif

Toska

Shiny_Rock
Here is a pic of the ultrasonic cleaner. Does anybody recognize the model?

ultrasonic.jpg

Carmen

Rough_Rock
What brand is that one you bought for your girlfriend? I want to buy one also...
21.gif

Carmen

Rough_Rock
Here's some interesting ultrasonic cleaners...

at the bottom is a real cute small one... just for that diamond ring you have..

www.jewelrysupply.com/noframes/cleaners.htm

Summer

Rough_Rock
Another way to steam clean diamonds if you don't have an ultrasonic cleaner is to just boil some ammonia (if you can stand the smell) and water and then put your diamond/diamonds in a strainer and put the strainer on the pot above the water, not in it. Leave it there while the steam rises for maybe 30 seconds or so. It comes out just as good as when my jeweler cleans my diamonds. In fact, a jeweler told me to do this and I have been for about 20 yrs. now. I do this weekly not daily as it takes a bit longer but gives great results!

Carmen

Rough_Rock
what a great idea!! I should try that!

Carmen

Toska

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 12/8/2003 12:22:42 PM Carmen wrote:

What brand is that one you bought for your girlfriend? I want to buy one also...
21.gif

----------------

Carmen, I will let you know what brand the ultrasonic cleaner is when it gets delivered to my home. I have no idea what brand it is.

Carmen

Rough_Rock
Great!! THanks!!

Carmen

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Canadiangrrl, the buzzy toothbrush works for me too, with a diluted solution of amonia and water. After that I dip it in rubbing alcohol since that helps it to dry with out water spots.
1.gif

Sirene, I've also tried the cappuchino machine, LOL. I actually learned both tips on DT. I have yet to try the vinegar/water solution, thanks.

Toska, thanks for posting the pic of that ultrasonic. I've never actually seen one so I guess it helps to know what I'm looking for.
rolleyes.gif
I hear they work great.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 12/7/2003 8:04:08 PM sxn675 wrote:

Well you girls all put me to shame! I have been married since March and have never cleaned my rings (except for the occaisonal rinse)! I need to get on a cleaning program!!! What's the point of having a beautiful ACA stone if I don't ever clean it???----------------

Shame, shame, c'mon already. Clean that sparkly.
9.gif
You will feel like it is a new ring all over again.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results