shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you use as kitchen canisters?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
While I am in this spring cleaning frenzy (in February- can you tell I''m antsy?) I was washing out counter canisters and accidentally broke one. They were glass and the rim snapped right off. Now I''m looking for something new--I need 1 for regular coffee, 1 for decaf, and 1 for sugar. I keep all my bags of flour in the freezer since I don''t use flour every day.

I''ve looked at several dept stores and nothing is speaking to me. I have a cottage style kitchen but love stainless. I love neutral, but lately have been attracted to splashes of color; particularly orange (orange wok, orange bowls...). The stainless canisters I''m seeing are too small.

Any good online places to look?

Anyone use something for canisters not ordinarily used for such?

Does anyone actually keep canisters anymore, or am I old fashioned?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We don't have any on our kitchen counters, we try to keep everything in the cupboard and uncluttered. We use Illy coffee tins in the cupboards for things bought in bags that usually break and spill.

I've used glass Martha Stewart ones from Target before, they were simple and effective.

For stainless I like Brabantia and Simple Human branded things. Brabantia canisters.

Orange and glass at Crate & Barrel.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 6:52:34 PM
Author: Addy
We don''t have any on our kitchen counters, we try to keep everything in the cupboard and uncluttered. We use Illy coffee tins in the cupboards for things bought in bags that usually break and spill.

I''ve used glass Martha Stewart ones from Target before, they were simple and effective.

For stainless I like Brabantia and Simple Human branded things. Brabantia canisters.

Orange and glass at Crate & Barrel.
Wow, Addy- thanks!

I was browsing apartment therapy and saw some yummy jadite ones. I guess I''d have to comb antiques to find that. Love love that gentle green...

I think we''ll be doing the same- keeping things off the counters. I have succombed to keeping the ka mixer up, a huge cutting board, coffee maker, and obligatory bottle of merlot
2.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 8:53:20 PM
Author: decodelighted
I don''t have canisters now but I''ve been ooging these Orla Kiely ones that are coming to Target this week. Started a thread about her collection earlier today. Show us what you end up with!!
Oooooh, love those earthy hues. I wish she''d make canisters with the pattern on that blouse she''s wearing!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have stainless ones from C&B.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 9:12:53 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I''m going to have to look at C&B... I love everything they sell.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Went Evesham crazy when I got married and still have all the pieces I bought, including the "cannisters". Still fabu today--basic white with lovely fruit pics on it.....

cheers--Sharon

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 9:46:12 PM
Author: justjulia

They are cool. FYI my MIL bought IDENTICAL ones at BB&B and I am sure her''s were cheaper.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 9:57:09 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Went Evesham crazy when I got married and still have all the pieces I bought, including the ''cannisters''. Still fabu today--basic white with lovely fruit pics on it.....

cheers--Sharon
What I''ve seen of Evesham is very pretty. Elegant.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 9:59:08 PM

They are cool. FYI my MIL bought IDENTICAL ones at BB&B and I am sure her''s were cheaper.
He''p me, what''s BB&B? I''m drawing a blank.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I found these great glass jars with lids at Crate and Barrel. Here they are:

Glass Jars

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2009 10:08:13 PM

Bed, Bath & Beyond.
Linky

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 2:11:54 AM
Author: pennquaker09

Glass Jars
I really like the size of these. Thanks!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 4:09:03 AM
Author: Addy

Date: 2/1/2009 10:08:13 PM

Bed, Bath & Beyond.
Linky
Aaaaahhhhhh.
I like the sleek stainless ones a lot...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plain ''ole cheapo tupperwares that never break and lasts forever.
emembarrassed.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really have canister sets. For dishwasher soap thingies (??), I have a decorative ceramic container with a lid, that looks pretty and I can fit my hand down it easily. It's sort of white/blue/orange Mexican Talavera looking. For cookies, I have an enamelled s/s with glass lid and metal top knob. I didn't want stainless because everything stainless gets fingerprints and then I get obsessed with having to have them immaculate all the time. The enamel/glass canister has a tight silicone seal ring for keeping things fresh. Mine is black, but I would have gone for a bright colour if I had found one. Everything else is in see through plastic containers in the cupboards.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This may not be the most trendy thing, but we use alot of recycled jars for storing food items. Large applesauce jars work well for lots of stuff (granola, nuts etc). We also have a metal cannister set I believe we got from an flea market store, often they are labeled "coffee" "sugar" etc. Ebay might be another place to look.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Okay, for now I''ve pulled in what I had before the glass that broke. They are nice and earthy--the only down side is that I can''t see how low we are on coffee, etc. Also, they don''t seal extremely well. But, it''ll do, since I guess we really do go through coffee pretty quickly. I have this one and another purple one.
They were made by local potters.

gr canister for ps.jpg

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 10:51:01 AM
Author: Chrono
Plain ''ole cheapo tupperwares that never break and lasts forever.
emembarrassed.gif
I love tupperware...I just want somethin'' different on the counter. My cereal bowls are plastic...I gave up trying to have ceramic ones...

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 11:40:52 AM
Author: lyra
I don''t really have canister sets. For dishwasher soap thingies (??), I have a decorative ceramic container with a lid, that looks pretty and I can fit my hand down it easily. It''s sort of white/blue/orange Mexican Talavera looking. For cookies, I have an enamelled s/s with glass lid and metal top knob. I didn''t want stainless because everything stainless gets fingerprints and then I get obsessed with having to have them immaculate all the time. The enamel/glass canister has a tight silicone seal ring for keeping things fresh. Mine is black, but I would have gone for a bright colour if I had found one. Everything else is in see through plastic containers in the cupboards.
I still get the 2 ton box of soap powder from Wal-mart for the dishwasher (ya know..the kind that spills all over creation when you pour it)... I have a ceramic pump bottle on the sink for dish soap (looks like my ceramic canister). Your Mexican container sounds very handsome.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 2:44:30 PM
Author: part gypsy
This may not be the most trendy thing, but we use alot of recycled jars for storing food items. Large applesauce jars work well for lots of stuff (granola, nuts etc). We also have a metal cannister set I believe we got from an flea market store, often they are labeled ''coffee'' ''sugar'' etc. Ebay might be another place to look.
I like your nut storage idea... I''ve been putting everything in those gallon size zip lock bags but they don''t stand up so you can easily see them in the cupboard.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2009 4:48:41 PM

I don''t really have canister sets. For dishwasher soap thingies (??), I have a decorative ceramic container with a lid, that looks pretty and I can fit my hand down it easily. It''s sort of white/blue/orange Mexican Talavera looking. For cookies, I have an enamelled s/s with glass lid and metal top knob. I didn''t want stainless because everything stainless gets fingerprints and then I get obsessed with having to have them immaculate all the time. The enamel/glass canister has a tight silicone seal ring for keeping things fresh. Mine is black, but I would have gone for a bright colour if I had found one. Everything else is in see through plastic containers in the cupboards.
I still get the 2 ton box of soap powder from Wal-mart for the dishwasher (ya know..the kind that spills all over creation when you pour it)... I have a ceramic pump bottle on the sink for dish soap (looks like my ceramic canister). Your Mexican container sounds very handsome.
You know, I was hooked on the powder soap until I tried the little individual melting things. What are they supposed to be called? We do buy them in a huge container from Costco which goes under the sink, and I just fill the container from that. Have you ever tried these things? So convenient and they are actually competitively priced because you don''t use more than you need, ever. Okay, off my soapbox, literally...
41.gif

I love your avatar pic. Reminds me of my little beastie.
30.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 8:28:10 PM

You know, I was hooked on the powder soap until I tried the little individual melting things. What are they supposed to be called? We do buy them in a huge container from Costco which goes under the sink, and I just fill the container from that. Have you ever tried these things? So convenient and they are actually competitively priced because you don''t use more than you need, ever. Okay, off my soapbox, literally...
41.gif

30.gif
My story with those things is that we got a boatload of free ones with the purchase of our dishwasher. They drove me insane!! I would be standing there with one in one hand, searching for scissors with the other as I could NOT tear open the boogers. Then, I''d get the stuff all over my hands as I squeezed it (usually popping the thing across the room) out. This was accompanied by mandatory swearing.

I got on this kick to conserve, once the tabs ran out, and started pouring in only about half of the provided soap tray with powder or liquid dishwasher det. Works just fine. I do the same with my laundry detergent. I think manufacturers want us to use a huge amount when it isn''t really necessary.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 8:28:10 PM

41.gif

30.gif
Oh, and THANK YOU for the sweet remarks about my little man. He''s whining at me as we speak since it''s bedtime. He has his routine! You have one, too? Aren''t they the most affectionate creatures on earth? I have 4 of them and it''s quite entertaining.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I am actually using the ones I inherited from my mom. They''re from 1970, and are made by Lefton. They look like tree trunks with mushrooms on them.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock

Glass Jars
These are mine!!!!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 2:17:31 PM
Author: Winks_Elf
I am actually using the ones I inherited from my mom. They''re from 1970, and are made by Lefton. They look like tree trunks with mushrooms on them.
Those were exactly the ones my grandmother had. I wish I had hers.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 2:25:03 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor

Glass Jars
These are mine!!!!
I love being able to see in my jars--which is my problem now that I can''t. Sigh.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 2:25:03 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor

Glass Jars
These are mine!!!!

You already have them or you''re going to get them?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results