shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just seen this moonstone, what do the experts think?

Is this a good example of blue sheen moonstone?

I wasn't really looking to buy as I'm all tied up in other projects but...I'm thinking...it sure does look pretty...

Is this one worth stretching out for? Screenshot_20170516-233237.png

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My mistake on earlier post.........sorry! Post deleted.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ugh still undecided and it's still there!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Darn it's disappeared! And now I want it :D

Any recommended places for blue sheen moonstone specifically? Hopefully like the one above (where the blue is covering most of the stone).

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried Barry (acstones.com)?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Barry at Acs or Sally at Heart of Water. Yvonne Raley can also get them as a custom order.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've looked at both acs and Sally but I find Sally' s moonstones are generally a bit less clear then the above and with little blue.

Acs looks nice but again only a little blue?

Am I just being too picky??

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The highly transparent moonstones with the blue hovering on top even if there is less blue is magical. I would suggest the clean stones with top transparency and with the blue sheen. I suggest not to settle as you'd like to have that eventually even when you have a moonstone. Worth the search on that one!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've looked at both acs and Sally but I find Sally' s moonstones are generally a bit less clear then the above and with little blue.

Acs looks nice but again only a little blue?

Am I just being too picky??

I find Sally's moonstones to be much better in person than in her photos. She can source high quality blush sheen moonstone as a custom order from one of her Sri Lankan suppliers but generally they are not in her regular/stock listings.

Barry's are more reasonably priced but yes I woudl say many of them are less blue and more white.

The one you posted in the original post above actually looks a bit hazy to me but maybe it's just the photo or the backing/setting? It should be water clear with a rolling blue flash across the stone. Here are a few I saw at a gem show a while back which are closer to high end moonstone.

2014-11-27_12_9.jpg

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh wow thank you for that picture mochiko! I didn't pick up on the hazy-ness (my own word ) in the original one.

I'll get on to Sally and see what she has. I'll keep you guys updated, thanks for your help!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also try Yvonne as she's in the US. She doesn't list moonstone normally but I saw she made a ring or some other item (I forgot which) with some really fabulous looking moonstone as a custom order for someone a while back. If you go back far enough in her sold listings you might find it.

Also, just sharing my favorite moonstone ring (not mine, obviously, since I could never afford a Leon!) r1294_4f2847ac309f5.jpg

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That Leon ring is tdf. I think I know which Yvonne ring you're talking about - I stalk her shop constantly

I hadn't seen pregcurious's ring before, thank you! It's breathtaking, that moonstone is so *surreal*!!! I defo cannot wait to see what Sally has...

Thanks for the Yvonne tip too, I'll try Sally first and see what she comes up with.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes they will come oiled or even filled which hides fissures. Also like many stones some are dyed. Some stones are backed to make the blue stronger (thats more of a disclosure issue than anything)

Just make sure you know what you're getting, be it orthoclase (traditional) or labradorite(rainbow).

woweezowee

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just seen this moonstone, what do the experts think?

Is this a good example of blue sheen moonstone?

I wasn't really looking to buy as I'm all tied up in other projects but...I'm thinking...it sure does look pretty...

Is this one worth stretching out for? Screenshot_20170516-233237.png
Oooh, that was my moonstone. It is 7.72 carats and on its way to a nice gal in England :) Transparency was not water clear -- otherwise the price would have been unaffordable (I had it up for $215 I believe) -- but it's fairly translucent and the amount of blue is stunning in *all* light not matter the angle. I would have kept it if I had the money to bling it out in a halo, or a nice bezel.

I have bought and sold so many moonstones, and that was the best. I ordered a couple from ACS that couldn't touch the color. That moonstone was one of those random eBay scores from someone who was selling it among other things that weren't jewelry. I've now moved on from moonstone and will keep the first moonstone piece I ever bought, a 9kt gold ring bezeled moonstone from England. Probably from mid-century. Oh, and some high-dome blue-flash earrings and a couple of antique necklaces. Moonstone is mesmerizing!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for chiming in wowee, your moonstone was gorgeous!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would also try Yvonne as she's in the US. She doesn't list moonstone normally but I saw she made a ring or some other item (I forgot which) with some really fabulous looking moonstone as a custom order for someone a while back. If you go back far enough in her sold listings you might find it.

Also, just sharing my favorite moonstone ring (not mine, obviously, since I could never afford a Leon!) r1294_4f2847ac309f5.jpg

OH MY GOD I knew I saw that moonstone ring around here somewhere before.

:whistle:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to agree - that Leon Mege moonstone ring is absolutely stunning - perfect proportions! I can understand why it has spawned copycat rings!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results