shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Derf

Rough_Rock
Want to put a 1.54 carat, round diamond, in a four prong Tiffany setting. Girdle is listed on GIA report as "Thin to Medium, Faceted." We've been assured that the diamond will be secure in this setting. Agree?

Thanks in advance.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
It would appear from his replies to other threads that Garry does not recommend putting a diamond with a thin girdle in a prong setting. I think others would say that thin to medium is ok. It may depend on just how much of the girdle is thin. He also prefers 6 prongs. If you lose one prong in a 4 prong setting, although they are generally thicker than the prongs in a 6 prong setting, you can lose your diamond. It has happened to people. You can read the thread titled "4 or 6 prong" to see a discussion on this topic.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tiffany use a GIA cert which means the girdle on a 1.5ct is actually a little thicker than on say a 1/3rd ct with the same thickness.

What Lawmax says is true - you could walk past a rough brick wall and take off one pprong with a rub on the wall. I would insure it if it were mine.

Derf

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I'm definitely insuring it.:))

moediamond

Rough_Rock
Hi Derf,

As long as the diamond setter knew what he was doing, it will be secure for a very long time.... :)
Congratulations and all the best!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results