shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this tsavorite?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Well, Richard...I guess we must agree to disagree!
2.gif

I''ve always view lots of "mutually withdrawn" FB as a red flad...particularly if the buyer AND seller get nasty and resort to name calling. I''m even leerier having read ger100''s post above.

I just checked the FB on the three Ebay gem vendors that are on my Ebay "favorites list". (I don''t even remember how I found them...probably here on PS)

Between them, there are 2414 transactions: Positive FB: 2411; Negative FB: 0; Neutral FB: 2; Mutually Withdrawn: 1.

I still think the vendor Harriet found sounds spooky....

widget

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen things on ebay regarding Feedback that are really strange.

I''ve looked at photos where the stones that were sold were poor, and yet the buyer gives the seller glowing recomendations as to how beautiful the stone was.

Many of the sellers are claiming rarity for stones that aren''t that rare, of "museum quality" when the stone obviously isn''t.

Pariaba is so flagrantly referred to trying to impress ininformed buyers, that it is very disheartening. Now that some people are informed a little about Pariaba some of the listings I''ve noticed are claiming stones being NEON. I think this will be the new "catchphrase" to get bids for items. Another misleading terminology is "investment" when describing a gemstone.

As far as the tsavorite above, imaging it on an angle might also minimize extinction, common in tsavorites and spinels, which is a real negative characteristic. Another "trick" is to photograph the table glared out to mask both extinction and windowing.

One fairly large seller from Thailand on ebay, who I know, buy a tremendous volume of stones. The best ones get sold off ebay to his customers in Japan. The "seconds" off makes and those of lower quality he puts out on ebay for bids at auction. If the stone doesn''t sell to a Japan buyer he lists it with a "buy it now price".

This is probably pretty typical of most of the thai sellers.

Also be aware that another practice is that a dealer will buy a parcel of like goods for size in varying qualities. The post the photo of the best one in the parcel, but if it really doesn''t bring what they want, they substitute another stone that is lower quality from the parcel that is the same approximate size/weight.

But in all fairness I have seen some decent deals there too, but seeing the stone is the proper taste test. So I say this with some reservation.

Rockdoc

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Widget & Rock Doc,

I didn''t mean this to be a post-mortem on EBay: every scurrilous kind of practice known can be found there, along with a few good deals. But so far I''ve had no response as to why people don''t take advantage of return options.

I know of a few problems, like restocking fees. But I see no evidence of them with this particular seller. While I sold a few stones there in the past I quit because it was impossible to even cover costs with the seller fees and prices bidders were willing to pay, especially for quality goods. BTW, Widget, I have a 100% positive feedback rating with no "mutually withdrawn" entries,
9.gif

Richard M.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
RockDoc, Richard M,
I''d like to learn more about coloured gems in order to collect them. Can you point me in the right direction (books etc.)? Thanks!

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/16/2007 7:50:43 AM
Author: Harriet
RockDoc, Richard M,

I''d like to learn more about coloured gems in order to collect them. Can you point me in the right direction (books etc.)? Thanks!

I''ll be happy to give you my recommendations if I can learn better what you mean by "collecting." In the U.S. market a collector is someone who searches out unusual or very high quality gems and minerals (rough and cut) simply for the purpose of having a collection. If your interest is assembling a suite of gems for personal use in jewelry you''ll need different information.

Nearly all gems are, first of all, minerals. Whatever your goal it might help to have as a reference a book like Schumann''s "Gemstones of the World" which relates gemstones to their mineral origins. It''s comprehensive, inexpensive, well illustrated, and explains most of the basics. Once you know where you''re headed you may wish to explore specialized books like Fred Ward''s Gem Book series, Richard Hughes''s authoritative "Ruby & Sapphire," the detailed gem information at websites like Pala Gems, etc. There are specialized books on nearly every type of gem, from precious opal to jade, and many other sources of information.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Richard''s giving you good advice here......

I think it is essential to know the WHY of your interest. However, this may change over time. You might consider that as you learn more and more, you''ll become addicted.

You actually want to take gemological courses, learn how to do the testing and recoginize the different qualities of gems, or maybe you just want a few nice pieces to wear.

As Richard suggested Schmann''s book is good. I like Arem''s Encyclopedia of colored gems better. Ruby & Saph by Richard Hughes is all sold out now (he is supposed to have an updated version coming- but it isn''t finished yet).

If you''re really curious about the more technical, scientific end of things, Gems by Webster and the books by Koivala and Gublein are excellent well.

I think you''re in NYC. If you are, pay a visit to the GIA there. They are at 47th st and 5th Ave.

Not sure if they still have the Gem Instruments section and bookstore still there, but they may. I think they do have a collection of gems in a display to see that is good to look at.

The Natural History Museum is also worthwhile to see too. And going to the Smith in Washington DC is a nice weekend jaunt.

You''ll find it is very easy to become a Pet Rock Junkie.

Rockdoc

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
RockDoc,

Unless there''s a recent new edition, Arem''s "Encyclopedia" is out of print too. All I could locate tolday was an $85 used copy at Amazon. I had to pay an arm and a leg for a used copy several years ago. Michael O''Donoghue''s "Gems" is an excellent choice but it retails for well over $100 U.S., which takes it out of the "beginner" category. That''s why I recommended Schumann, which can be had for around $25.

Anyone wishing to see what''s available in gem books should visit the GIA''s Bookstore

It has 210 titles to select from so that''s why I suggested narrowing interests down a bit before plunging in.

Richard M.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
My worry would be why is this stone so cheap?

My similar sized stone that I bought through Wink was nearly 6 times the price of that one. When I was buying stones for the company I worked for the Sri Lankan and Thai guys that came over knew exactly what they had to sell and what price they should ask for.

I''d probably risk if I just wanted a couple of small stones for earrings etc and there was a good return policy. But if you are going to spend $$ on a setting and labour costs why risk having something badly cut or that has been super-photoshopped in the pics.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
harriet,
there are several well regarded dealers in nyc that could source beautiful tsavorite for you. if leon menge is making your ring he should be able to help you with this. it isn''t difficult to find fabulous tsavorite.

all the best.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
and...i''d offer to help you with the hunt, but i know it isn''t allowed!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 1:27:09 PM
Author: Pandora II
My worry would be why is this stone so cheap?

My similar sized stone that I bought through Wink was nearly 6 times the price of that one. When I was buying stones for the company I worked for the Sri Lankan and Thai guys that came over knew exactly what they had to sell and what price they should ask for.

I''d probably risk if I just wanted a couple of small stones for earrings etc and there was a good return policy. But if you are going to spend $$ on a setting and labour costs why risk having something badly cut or that has been super-photoshopped in the pics.
That was my worry too. As some say, you get what you pay for.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 4:29:39 PM
Author: rocks
and...i''d offer to help you with the hunt, but i know it isn''t allowed!
Very kind of you anyway.
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 10:49:45 AM
Author: Richard M.
I''ll be happy to give you my recommendations if I can learn better what you mean by ''collecting.'' In the U.S. market a collector is someone who searches out unusual or very high quality gems and minerals (rough and cut) simply for the purpose of having a collection. If your interest is assembling a suite of gems for personal use in jewelry you''ll need different information.

Nearly all gems are, first of all, minerals. Whatever your goal it might help to have as a reference a book like Schumann''s ''Gemstones of the World'' which relates gemstones to their mineral origins. It''s comprehensive, inexpensive, well illustrated, and explains most of the basics. Once you know where you''re headed you may wish to explore specialized books like Fred Ward''s Gem Book series, Richard Hughes''s authoritative ''Ruby & Sapphire,'' the detailed gem information at websites like Pala Gems, etc. There are specialized books on nearly every type of gem, from precious opal to jade, and many other sources of information.
Thank you, Richard. My goal is the second, but it might well end up being the first to boot.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 11:51:31 AM
Author: RockDoc
Richard''s giving you good advice here......

I think it is essential to know the WHY of your interest. However, this may change over time. You might consider that as you learn more and more, you''ll become addicted.

You actually want to take gemological courses, learn how to do the testing and recoginize the different qualities of gems, or maybe you just want a few nice pieces to wear.

As Richard suggested Schmann''s book is good. I like Arem''s Encyclopedia of colored gems better. Ruby & Saph by Richard Hughes is all sold out now (he is supposed to have an updated version coming- but it isn''t finished yet).

If you''re really curious about the more technical, scientific end of things, Gems by Webster and the books by Koivala and Gublein are excellent well.

I think you''re in NYC. If you are, pay a visit to the GIA there. They are at 47th st and 5th Ave.

Not sure if they still have the Gem Instruments section and bookstore still there, but they may. I think they do have a collection of gems in a display to see that is good to look at.

The Natural History Museum is also worthwhile to see too. And going to the Smith in Washington DC is a nice weekend jaunt.

You''ll find it is very easy to become a Pet Rock Junkie.

Rockdoc
Thank you, Rockdoc. Currently, my interest lies in assembling gems for use as jewellery, but it may well turn to Pet Rock Junkhood. I do afterall, collect pre-war British children''s books. Geeky, right?

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Harriet,

For a quick and fairly easy introduction to colored gems I''d recommend another (out of print but available used) book by Joel Arem, "Gems and Jewelry." This little paperback has an immense amount of information tucked into a small space although it lacks some of the recent developments in the gem world. It''s available here: Amazon

Read the Gemstone Forecaster on line for up to the minute developments and informed opinions: Gemstone Forecaster

The Pala Gems site contains a huge amount of valuable information: Pala

There are many specialized books and you can find them in the GIA Bookstore as your interests develop and change. I see no point in spending hundreds of dollars on books until you know where you''re headed. Webster''s "Gems," now out of print, is expensive used but worth the investment if you''re seriously interested in learning. Believe me, you''ll never run out of new things to learn no matter how hard you study. Go to museums and gem shows and check out what your local library has to offer in colored gem books. Above all, have fun.

Richard M.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Harriet, check ebay for Websters - I bought the 5th edition which I''m pretty sure was the last one for $40 last week - they are going for $159 on Amazon secondhand.

You should start a new thread on British childrens books in hangout - I love them!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 9:54:49 PM
Author: Richard M.
Harriet,

For a quick and fairly easy introduction to colored gems I''d recommend another (out of print but available used) book by Joel Arem, ''Gems and Jewelry.'' This little paperback has an immense amount of information tucked into a small space although it lacks some of the recent developments in the gem world. It''s available here: Amazon

Read the Gemstone Forecaster on line for up to the minute developments and informed opinions: Gemstone Forecaster

The Pala Gems site contains a huge amount of valuable information: Pala

There are many specialized books and you can find them in the GIA Bookstore as your interests develop and change. I see no point in spending hundreds of dollars on books until you know where you''re headed. Webster''s ''Gems,'' now out of print, is expensive used but worth the investment if you''re seriously interested in learning. Believe me, you''ll never run out of new things to learn no matter how hard you study. Go to museums and gem shows and check out what your local library has to offer in colored gem books. Above all, have fun.

Richard M.
Richard,
Many thanks again! I''m already having fun.
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2007 7:51:03 AM
Author: Pandora II
Harriet, check ebay for Websters - I bought the 5th edition which I''m pretty sure was the last one for $40 last week - they are going for $159 on Amazon secondhand.

You should start a new thread on British childrens books in hangout - I love them!
Pandora,
You do it! I''ve started so many threads I''m embarrassed.
21.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harriet,
I thought of you during Winks presentation today. He had to most beautiful emerald. I think it was 1.5 carats and soooooo gorgeous. You should ask if he can send you a picture. I almost bought it but I am holding out for somthing else. Plus I think my husband would have said I should have been studying instead of shopping and I probably would have been banned from PS.
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2007 11:05:22 PM
Author: Skippy123
Harriet,
I thought of you during Winks presentation today. He had to most beautiful emerald. I think it was 1.5 carats and soooooo gorgeous. You should ask if he can send you a picture. I almost bought it but I am holding out for somthing else. Plus I think my husband would have said I should have been studying instead of shopping and I probably would have been banned from PS.
2.gif
Naughty Skippy!
2.gif

Describe the stone, please?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
It a non heated emerald (lighter shade of emerald) and concave cut. I was wanting it. In fact I think he said it was $2,000 but my brain stopped working because I was mesmerized by it. People laughed because I had him show it twice. You should email him; I would so buy it if I had the cash kicking around but I am not working so I can study! It is emerald cut and gorgeous
30.gif

In fact I was secretly wishing that he doesn't sell it so at Christmas I can go back and buy it. heehee. I actually want it to go to a good home so I thought I would let you know.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks. I''ll give him a call. I do prefer darker emeralds though.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooh, don''t call him then.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
How light was it?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Richard M., Rockdoc,
I have a rudimentary question -- should I stay away from treated gems or are they ok?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 12:01:37 AM
How light was it?
a minty green

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/18/2007 12:35:16 AM
Richard M., Rockdoc,

I have a rudimentary question -- should I stay away from treated gems or are they ok?

That''s a HUGE question and it needs more than a couple of paragraphs to answer. In general I can say yes and no, which doesn''t help at all! It depends entirely on which gem and what kind of treatment.

If you can narrow the question down to what gem you have in mind it would help a lot. You posted earlier about emeralds. Emerald is one of the most heavily treated gems. Any discussion about it would involve lots of background and technical talk to distinguish between simple oiling, oiling with dyes, infilling with Canadian balsam, epoxy and other resins, glass-filling (Gemetrat) etc. And that''s just emerald. Other gems have their own concerns -- it''s a very complicated subject.

Meanwhile there are a few stones that undergo very minor to no treatments like garnets and spinels.

Richard M.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Richard,
Thanks again. I really should start reading and stop asking naive questions!

Skippy,
Thanks, but it''s not me. But it''s yours!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results