carat
color
clarity

what do you think of this spinel?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spotty! :lol:

No seriously, I like the colour but the amount of inclusions and very big window would be an issue for me.

Candice

Shiny_Rock
haha I know it has inclusions, but I think for that price and size of spinel i'm ok with some bubbles! I dont see the window, is it a tilt window or straight through the bottom?

iolitedreamer

Rough_Rock
The first thing that came to mind is it is pretty and cute with the way the inclusions are formed in the spinel. It has a lot of character. Personally, I think it is very nice and not a bad price either for the size stone that it is. However, I am no expert. Just giving my personal opinion. As far as the window goes, I cannot tell.

bluegirl123

Rough_Rock
Isnt the center part where the colouring is lighter the window in the picture? You can see it more in the video

Candice

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the reply iolitedreamer! i'll wait for more opinions before I decide :D

Candice

Shiny_Rock
bluegirl123|1304975995|2916657 said:
Isnt the center part where the colouring is lighter the window in the picture? You can see it more in the video
i'm not sure, to me it looks like thats the light source making it looking lighter....but i'm no expert!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes the lighter part is the window and no, I doubt very much whether that's a tilt window. If you look, it is a very shallow stone. If you're ok with the inclusions then it's a great price for that size BUT Tan tends to price things according to their real worth - so if he's selling it for under $100 and it's over 4ct there's a reason and, without knowing that reason, I would guess it's (a) very visible inclusions and (b) the cut.

Candice

Shiny_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1304977013|2916677 said:
Yes the lighter part is the window and no, I doubt very much whether that's a tilt window. If you look, it is a very shallow stone. If you're ok with the inclusions then it's a great price for that size BUT Tan tends to price things according to their real worth - so if he's selling it for under $100 and it's over 4ct there's a reason and, without knowing that reason, I would guess it's (a) very visible inclusions and (b) the cut.

Thanks lovingdiamonds, you always get what you pay for, i'm just hoping I like it for what it is. I tend to like some sort of inclusion it reminds me that I'm wearing something natural and from the earth. I bought the spinel and i'm going to check it out in person. If I like it i'll probably send it to daniel m on etsy to set it in something simple.
I would still love to hear more opinions though! keep them coming! :appl:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
It is a HUGE window

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I could live with the inclusions, they add personality, but the window makes it unacceptable to me. LD said it, the cut is shallow. You'll see it better when you receive the stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Candice|1304974989|2916628 said:

Great price for the size. The color is pretty, not exceptional, but pretty, and not too dark in tone, which drives me nuts with spinels. Most people here will be put off by the cutting, but if cutting doesn't matter to you, I think it's a great buy, even with the inclusions. Throw it in a halo, the window won't look as bad.

Candice

Shiny_Rock
TL|1304981102|2916738 said:
Candice|1304974989|2916628 said:

Great price for the size. The color is pretty, not exceptional, but pretty, and not too dark in tone, which drives me nuts with spinels. Most people here will be put off by the cutting, but if cutting doesn't matter to you, I think it's a great buy, even with the inclusions. Throw it in a halo, the window won't look as bad.
thanks everyone, i'll see if I can close up the ginormous window with a closed basket, if not i'll send it back! I love the colour...and I still can't see the window but i'm not trained to see windows. I still have much learning to do :read:

hey...if I cant see it in the video maybe I wont see the window in real life LOL and if someone points it out to me on the streets i'll know its one of you :devil:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Candice|1304985105|2916803 said:
hey...if I cant see it in the video maybe I wont see the window in real life LOL and if someone points it out to me on the streets i'll know its one of you :devil:

OP - this totally cracked me up! (literally, I'm giving myself a facial and have a clay mask on my face that just split into cracks) It is so true, most likely only a PSer would notice a window....

I do really like the color of that spinel - it is lovely - it may be lovely enough IRL to counter the flat-ish cut which for me is more of a drawback than the bubbles - the bubbles I really think I could live with, especially with the right setting.

Hope it turns out to be a keeper for you - and post some pics when it comes either way. (Thanks for the laugh too!)

Candice

Shiny_Rock
Marymm, it would make my day if someone noticed a window in a stone, I would definitely ask them if they were on PS lol. this spinel isn't going to be for a "serious" piece of jewellery just something fun and gemmy :lickout:

sorry I ruined your facial 8-)

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
It's very included and it's got a blooming French Door in the middle. No way that is going to close up in a setting. Plus it's expensive for what it is.

I'd pass on it.

Candice

Shiny_Rock
can anyone help me find a spinel in similar size for under 200.00? the majority of opinions say this spinel isnt worth the $$

thanks!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The impressive thing about this spinel is the size, and the fact it lacks dark tones, that often plague purple spinels. I wonder if a concave cut could help the window. It may be too shallow for concave cutting though. If the window doesn't bother you, than don't worry about it. Most of the time, windows don't bother people. Pricescopers are very particular about windows however, which is totally fine. If you find a good deal, you have to weigh all the factors and hopefully you'll come up on the plus side. :bigsmile:

ETA: Please take photos and upload them here when you get it.

Candice

Shiny_Rock
TL|1305037154|2917323 said:
The impressive thing about this spinel is the size, and the fact it lacks dark tones, that often plague purple spinels. I wonder if a concave cut could help the window. It may be too shallow for concave cutting though. If the window doesn't bother you, than don't worry about it. Most of the time, windows don't bother people. Pricescopers are very particular about windows however, which is totally fine. If you find a good deal, you have to weigh all the factors and hopefully you'll come up on the plus side. :bigsmile:

ETA: Please take photos and upload them here when you get it.
I will take some pictures, hopefully i'll be pleasantly suprised. like I said before i cant see the window....so hopefully the cut is fine (for me)
the size is the main thing for me, I want something bigger. I have size 8 fingers and small stones look dwarfed on my hand :((

thanks for your opinion TL, much appreciated!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to respond when you said you would look for a setting with a closed basket. I think you may struggle because of the size of the gem. You could possibly ask Lanbo or LOGR to add more metal to the bottom BUT one word of caution (and you can't predict this until the gem is in your hand), the metal MIGHT show through the window - not a good look.

BTW what you'll find is even PS'ers won't comment on somebody else's stone (and whether it has a window). When my friends show me their rings, I'm very careful to never mention anything negative!!!! Slightly different on this forum where people ask for honest advice! :wink2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results