shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this sapphire?

kittypup

Rough_Rock
Hi PS,

I have a sapphire under consideration and would like to hear your thoughts.
Here are the details,

- Color The report specifies the color as Vivid blue (Intense Cornflower). I am actually looking for a rich "royal blue" color, but not dark. The dealer said this stone is very similar to bright "Royal Blue".
Here is how my dream color looks like - https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-7-stone-emerald-cut-blue-sapphire-ring.175313/

- Weight 6.17ct 11.07 * 9.58 mm

- Price $24000, is this a good price?

- Report a local Sri Lanka EGL report, should I get a 2nd report from AGL?

Kindly let me know your thoughts on this =)2

IMG_5769.jpg IMG_5796.jpg IMG_5797.jpg IMG_5732.jpg IMG_5718.jpg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that your hand? Does it look like that?

That's is pretty much my ideal -- like a super-vivid medium (to maybe medium-dark) tone and almost a Hughes "peacock." Has an almost Kashmir look to my eye. Even has a bit of a sleepy look (just enough) like a top Kashmir. A pity it's not your ideal -- i think I would be interested if it were in the budget.

If it is not your hand, then I would worry that someone has boosted the blue channel.

I can not see enough detail to gauge the clarity -- fine line between a touch of silk for full-sun glow and too much --but in the later photos it looks like I can see right through to the pavilion facets and that's good.

EDIT: I assume it is heated and that would take it out of the running for me. And I do not think this is "royal blue," although that designation is all over the place, tbh. $4K for a lovely heated stone is not crazy.

kittypup

Rough_Rock
Is that your hand? Does it look like that?

That's is pretty much my ideal -- like a super-vivid medium (to maybe medium-dark) tone and almost a Hughes "peacock." Has an almost Kashmir look to my eye. Even has a bit of a sleepy look (just enough) like a top Kashmir. A pity it's not your ideal -- i think I would be interested if it were in the budget.

If it is not your hand, then I would worry that someone has boosted the blue channel.

I can not see enough detail to gauge the clarity -- fine line between a touch of silk for full-sun glow and too much --but in the later photos it looks like I can see right through to the pavilion facets and that's good.

EDIT: I assume it is heated and that would take it out of the running for me. And I do not think this is "royal blue," although that designation is all over the place, tbh. $4K for a lovely heated stone is not crazy.

Thanks for your reply!

It’s the seller’s hand, not mine. And I
actually hope the tone is on the dark side, so it would be close to what I want.

The report marks the stone unheated. I am thinking to get an AGL report if I decide to purchase it.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The report marks the stone unheated. I am thinking to get an AGL report if I decide to purchase it.

You would do that before not after. No help after. Or you mean insist on it prior? I almost never see EGL.

I suspect the tone will be darker since that is almost impossibly vivid, imo

Where is everybody...? I thought there would be a lot more chatter. I'm usually tenth in line to weigh in. Too generic a thread title :cool2:. Maybe next time try "Is this the *perfect* blue?!?" ;)2

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
That looks like a beautiful stone.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if you are in-country but that vendor is new (?), has a very generic name, only 40 followers, and only three prior listings -- so unless you know something about this vendor, proceed with caution.

kittypup

Rough_Rock
You would do that before not after. No help after. Or you mean insist on it prior? I almost never see EGL.

I suspect the tone will be darker since that is almost impossibly vivid, imo

Where is everybody...? I thought there would be a lot more chatter. I'm usually tenth in line to weigh in. Too generic a thread title :cool2:. Maybe next time try "Is this the *perfect* blue?!?" ;)2

The seller is not in US, so I guess I will do afterwards and set an agreement, if the stone is identified heated by AGL then I can make a return.

It seems that I am not able to edit the post. :confused2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks nice but for $24,000 it should.
Can the vendor provide you with a video? It’s harder to “adjust” a video.
And if you are buying internationally, it’s all very well to agree to a return if not as described BUT how do you ensure the vendor keeps their side of the agreement. If they have your money, you can’t just “get it back”.
Sending a gem for a lab report might take a few weeks with shipping back and forth and most vendors don’t have a “return window” of weeks.
In the event of a return be aware sending gems tracked, signed for and insured to some countries is nigh impossible / incredibly expensive. The shipping costs, both ways, plus the lab report are likely to be at your expense even if you dont keep the gem.
Personally, and I have been buying online from overseas for decades, I would hesitate to proceed with such a large purchase without knowing for sure the vendor is reputable ( ie past customer comments). I would also investigate the shipping arrangements and customs / taxes applicable both to receive and return. I would then only pay with a credit card linked to PayPal.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For that amount of money I would require a reputable lab report, and wouldnt buy from anyone without a well established reputation. That amount of money is just too high for me to have any doubts

voce

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone, but not priced at a point that would attract me, especially if it's not my ideal in terms of color.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
It looks very good to me, and the price point is not outrageous. But I agree that you should insist on a prestige AGL report before pulling the trigger, there is no other way to know how “good” the color really is, AGL is unbiased and consistent in grading CS.

kittypup

Rough_Rock
Thanks you all for the above inputs!

I guess I need to reconsider buying the stone from the dealer, since shipping sounds like a very risky process to me. :confused:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks you all for the above inputs!

I guess I need to reconsider buying the stone from the dealer, since shipping sounds like a very risky process to me. :confused:

If that's your budget, I would look first at reputable dealers who are well known and sell stones with certs

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I don't know if you are in-country but that vendor is new (?), has a very generic name, only 40 followers, and only three prior listings -- so unless you know something about this vendor, proceed with caution.

This ^

Wow this would concern me a lot for such a large purchase. And without question - AGL report for that much $$$.

If they are being weirdly pushy about not providing a cert - red flag. They aren't cutting that far into their margin to provide one. I'd honestly expect better service for that much money

To me, it is a gorgeous color, this is probably my ideal, but if it's not yours, that's another story and I would pass. Beautiful or not - that price point should get you your ideal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results