shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this ruby?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
This really caught my eye. It is a 2.3 carat Tanz. untreated ruby. Please tell me what you think of it? Ignore the mounting. :confused:

ruby ring.JPG

ruby ring hand.JPG

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, that's a gorgeous color.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I think it's very purple.
A different setting might help with the window some more.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I looks a little pinky/purple to me. That said it is always a little hard to judge from pictures, if you have seen it in person and love it, go for it.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It looks a little pinky to me also. Do you think it might be the lighting? I wonder what it looks like in daylight.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may look purple, but it has certain presence, too.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I saw that one and thought it was too pink but for the right price maybe. Maybe put in an offer?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I think the light is having a lot to do with the pinky/purpling. Definitely taken with a flash and I know that distorts the color a lot!

I've talked to the seller and she describes it as a very rich red with just a touch of purple. It is unheated and a very good clarity for ruby. She says it is quite clean with the naked eye and has lots of sparkles. With a loupe she can see silk and some inclusions. I'm hoping to get some shots in natural light, outdoors and in. I just wondered from folks more "in the know" if it was a decent (not museum quality) stone that I would be proud to own and wear.

Thanks for the input so far. Any more?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
It would all come down to price for me.

Going purely on the photos and what I see on my monitor, I wouldn't be 100% on calling the stone a ruby versus a deep pink sapphire. It lacks the vivid saturation I would want to see in a great ruby. Also looks a bit included - could be dust or just the photo quality though.

As I said above, I am speaking purely about what the photos say - the real life stone may well look very, very different - and so I could be being overly critical and mean (poor innocent stone).

It's a very pretty stone in its own right, but if it's being sold at high quality ruby prices I would pass if it looks like the photos in real life.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You MUST MUST MUST MUST get it checked for treatments. I know the seller has told you that it's unheated but who did the testing? BE testing can only be carried out by certain labs. Many of the Tanzanian Rubies are BE diffused/filled/dyed. I personally wouldn't buy any ruby or sapphire without a lab report. Some of the Tanzanian Rubies I've seen have been beautiful with gorgeous clarity but they've been treated to the ends of the earth and back.

Edit: Uppy I just found this on Ebay - it looks similar (obviously a different setting) but I just wanted to show it to you http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ladys-ruby-Crystal-1-52CT-14k-yellow-Gold-Ring-GP-SZ8-/280737100849?pt=Gemstone_Rings&hash=item415d3c3431

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
LD, it has a memo from Emil Gem Labs (Japan). And I looked at that horrid, plastic ring you linked. Yikes!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgradable|1315697740|3014695 said:
LD, it has a memo from Emil Gem Labs (Japan). And I looked at that horrid, plastic ring you linked. Yikes!!

Uppy I don't know much about this lab. Can you check to see whether they have the capability to detect BE diffusion? If they don't, then I'd be a little worried (or would make a sale dependent on having it checked elsewhere). The other issue with this ring (and I know you said to ignore the setting) but it is very similar to the settings used and sold out of China. Typically they don't have good quality stones in them. Of course, this is all guesswork and could be way off the mark.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results