shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this round brilliant?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I thought this was your question to me.

Yes, to you based on your comment yesterday when you presented another stone you were considering after purchasing and setting the original.

Reactions: Mlh

mission1

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I’ve read your various threads and they do read as if you even put my own obsessing to shame! I can empathise with this as I know I’ve definitely got a bit too obsessed! It seems to be a common theme on here....the type of person bothered enough to do their research is probably also inherently more likely to continue to research and question.

So, I completely understand how you feel – you want to make the best choice, and you’ve taken in lots of information in a short timeframe. This can put you in the position of understanding what to look for “on paper”, but not having the “real life” experience to translate this to confidence that the diamond is great once it’s in your hand.

Like you, I selected a slightly shallow combination, albeit within the general ranges recommended on PS (it's a 40.6/34 which I think is what you went for). Like you, I’m concerned about a bit of obstruction, and like you I’ve had people much more experienced on PS say that yes there’s probably a bit of obstruction, but it’s not a big issue and the diamond is lovely.

Where I’ve got to with it is realising that whilst I know I should just move on, I won’t be 100% happy until I’ve reassured myself either way. My solution has been to buy a second diamond, and I’ll return one of them – but I appreciate that double expenditure isn’t an option for everyone.

Anyway, ultimately I don’t think you’re going to find the definitive reassurance on PS that you're seeking – so you need to bite the bullet and get it appraised asap, or alternatively somehow find another diamond(s) to compare it to.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the SARIN, I'm guessing this last stone was reported on GIA as a 34.5/41 or 34/41 combo?

It seems to me you are bouncing from edge to edge. Have you tried finding a stone with a 34.5/40.8 combo, 54-57 table and < 62 depth?

That's very specific but may yield a stone closer to your expectations, assuming the stone is precisely cut.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @mission1 and @sledge . If you come across another stone that you think might be a good alternative please let me know. I will look for those measurements @sledge . I hope that I have not overstayed my welcome here at pricescope. I feel a bit misunderstood but only appreciate the guidance of everyone who has weighed in!

mission1

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, I hope I haven’t misstated your predicament. From your posts you seemed to be in a similar position to me.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, I hope I haven’t misstated your predicament. From your posts you seemed to be in a similar position to me.

No, you were right on. The last comment about the twisted lowers and the stone not being a train wreck threw me. So maybe I came off as an obsessive lunatic. Not my intention. I appreciate your empathy @mission1 .

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a little tied up today, but will also take a peek as I have time. Refresh my memory on budget, color, clarity and size requirements.

Also, you are more than welcome here @Mlh. We all have different needs & expectations. The details seem to matter to you, which is fine. I just question rather or not you would be better off with a super ideal stone where things are more "perfect".

I can understand and respect that. One of the reasons I decided early on to buy a super ideal is I know me and having little stuff off would drive me nuts. Others are perfectly okay with it. But I'm the guy that running 9.9 seconds in the quarter matters vs running 10.1 seconds. For average Joe, both are damn fast -- but to be in the 9's is special, and comes at more costs and obsessing, lol.

Ultimately, I want you and yours to look at the stone and be proud of what you picked and grin ear to ear knowing it was what you wanted and it's the best available.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a little tied up today, but will also take a peek as I have time. Refresh my memory on budget, color, clarity and size requirements.

Also, you are more than welcome here @Mlh. We all have different needs & expectations. The details seem to matter to you, which is fine. I just question rather or not you would be better off with a super ideal stone where things are more "perfect".

I can understand and respect that. One of the reasons I decided early on to buy a super ideal is I know me and having little stuff off would drive me nuts. Others are perfectly okay with it. But I'm the guy that running 9.9 seconds in the quarter matters vs running 10.1 seconds. For average Joe, both are damn fast -- but to be in the 9's is special, and comes at more costs and obsessing, lol.

Ultimately, I want you and yours to look at the stone and be proud of what you picked and grin ear to ear knowing it was what you wanted and it's the best available.

Thank you for that @sledge !! Our current stone, .9 vs1 was under 5k. We can go a bit higher and even a bit bigger. I do like f/g range and vs's.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Fyi made an appointment with gemlab in NYC to make verbal appraisal $65.

mission1

Shiny_Rock
@Mlh - when's the appraisal?

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Last edited:

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Thoughts on this one? Just put this on hold cert.jpeg

mission1

Shiny_Rock
How did it go?

If it offers any reassurance, I bought a 35/40.6 as a potential replacement for a 34/40.6 and can't see any difference. I could try another combo but I think it's time to accept/move on. Hopefully you'll get some peace soon too!

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @mission1 The gemologist that I saw today said it looked Great! Glad yours worked out ok too!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results