shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

UpgradeMe

Rough_Rock
So between all my wishy-washyness (is that a word?! LOL) I have now decided that I want something with dark blue sapphires in it. I just love the way they look plus it''s DH''s birthstone. I found this ring online and every time I look at it I like it more. The price seems a little too good to be true. And I don''t know anything about this store. Maybe I could have something similar made by another jeweler?

It can be found here and here http://www.sunjewelry.com/er3691.html and I attached the pic to this post. I think.

My other thought right now is to do a bezel set sapphire (either round or oval I think) with a halo and milgrain. Then do a Beverly K wide band. Or maybe a couple stacking eternity (actually 3/4 eternity probably) bands and have one of them incorporate some sapphire.

Thoughts?

whataboutthisone.jpg

UpgradeMe

Rough_Rock
Here''s an example of the wide BevK band I''m talking about. Not sold on this exact design but I''d choose one with two solid rows on either side.

maybethisone.jpg

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
What I think is that that ring looks like it was Frankensteined together using about 4-5 different styles. It''s way busy and I''m guessing that shank/band is not terribly comfy on the fingers. If you want sapphires, why not do a classic 3 stone with two sapphires flanking the center stone? Or do an all diamond ering with a sapphire eternity band for your wband?

ETA: The head on that ring looks crooked in the first photo. If they''re showing a crooked ring on the internet, I would think their QC isn''t all that great.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I think the idea is lovely, but the ring itself has some issues. Like surfgirl said, it kind of looks cobbled together from several different styles.

Have you tried on anything along those lines yet? It's such a departure from what you have now, you would probably want to go find something similar and make sure you like the way it looks on your hand.
1.gif
Especially since, if I remember correctly, this might be your only shot to change it!

ETA: Love the BevK band!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
While it is not to my taste, I respect your views that this is a lovely ring.

I *do* think, however, that this would be a style with which one could become easily bored and look for a change. It's perhaps not as classically designed as some, and as others have said, there is quite a bit *going on*. You may tire of it....

But then again, I am not the person who would be wearing it
9.gif

What may be a more feasible alternative would be a classic centre stone/solitaire, with some funky sapphire/diamond baguette eternity bands. There are a few on Pearlmans that are similar to this ring but a bit more rhymically designed.

Best of luck in your search for what works best for you.

LS

UpgradeMe

Rough_Rock
LOL, I like the frankensteined comment. LOL Thank you for your HONEST opinions. I do appreciate them!

There are just too many decisions and I want a new ring NOW! LOL Seriously, I''ve been looking and thinking about this for years now.
7.gif
In my search for the perfect ring and fear of getting something only to find something I like better later...well, I''ve ended up with nothing. Not nothing of course, I have my set I was married with. But I''m ready for an upgrade. ;-) I''m honestly about ready to just pick the next ring I look at! Ugh!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2008 8:37:51 PM
Author: UpgradeMe
LOL, I like the frankensteined comment. LOL Thank you for your HONEST opinions. I do appreciate them!

There are just too many decisions and I want a new ring NOW! LOL Seriously, I''ve been looking and thinking about this for years now.
7.gif
In my search for the perfect ring and fear of getting something only to find something I like better later...well, I''ve ended up with nothing. Not nothing of course, I have my set I was married with. But I''m ready for an upgrade. ;-) I''m honestly about ready to just pick the next ring I look at! Ugh!
While I appreciate your desire to lock something down, I dont think buying something just because you want something NOW is the way to go. I think that mindset can likely get you into trouble and you''ll be back here wanting to change your new setting because you bought the next thing you thought you liked...Take a break from looking. Then go back and look at what you last liked and see if you still love it or not. You could always do a classic setting that will stand the test of time and then get some different bands to jazz things up, yes?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I checked out Sun Jewelry and actually visited them in L.A. The workmanship is not great to be quite honest. You know the saying "You get what you pay for!" That's a fact! I think Beverly K is a great designer and is very good quality. If you're looking for an antique style ring, I would check out Pearlmansjewelers.com and flip through all the Beverly K settings. They have some great ones!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
the idea is good and i really liked the ring you pictured until i saw it from the side and bottom. it looks uncomfortable and i have heard that somtimes stones in the inside of your hand can get damamged or lost. IMO you are on the right track, but keep looking.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2008 8:22:07 PM
Author: UpgradeMe
Here''s an example of the wide BevK band I''m talking about. Not sold on this exact design but I''d choose one with two solid rows on either side.

HI Upgrademe,
I have this Beverly K ring which is very similar, and I have had a lot of problems with it. It has lost a total of 14 diamonds, and gone out of round 4 times. Mine is platinum, maybe white gold would be better. I bought it as an every day ring, but it is a once in a while ring at best. It is pretty though. Just caveat emptor.

BTW I didn''t buy it from Pearlman''s, maybe they would have been nicer...this one

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
A Kirk Kara setting would be beautiful. That way you could incorporate the blue sapphires too. Maybe something like this....

kirkllll.jpg

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree with surfgirl about the ring you posted: busy, busy. It was just too much . . . of everything. It''s incorporating an Edwardian feel, giving a nod to the halo trend, and on and on.

I''m all for mixing sapphires and diamonds; but if I were you, I''d continue to look. There are gazillions of options, because this is a pretty popular combination. Tacori has several; Beverly K has several; Simon G; just about all major designers, and any of the vendors associated with PS have their own versions or can design something for you. I had never heard of this particular vendor, however.

Some others to try: Fay Cullen; Topazery; OGI, Eli, Saturn Jewels. Those last three have links under the Resources heading at the top of the page.

Good luck with the search.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s definitely a little busy, but more than that, I think those stones would be pinchy and pokey between your fingers and the immediate world and everything you come in contact with, would get stuck underneath those square mountings that don''t sit flush to the band. It would be a nightmare to get really clean.

Meanwhile, that Kirk Kara set is absolutely lovely, and anything by Beverly K. is beautiful.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Love - love - love the beverly k band!
I actually kinda like the look of the band part of the first ring....not sure about the comfort, but I wouldn''t think it would be too much different from a lot of other thicker eternity rings....just takes a little getting used to......although the halo and what not, make it a little much.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I actually love that ring, and now I totally want it. I don''t care if it''s busy - my current ring is pretty darn involved! :) It''s all personal taste.

The center stone is a little crooked though.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
It''s a little bit chunky for my tastes, but it is finely made and looks very elegant! I love the sapphires!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I really really love it, however I don''t think it would be comfortable! The sides of the band have multiple bezel/beveled edges. =) Your fingers might not be able to close?

But I love the sapphire/diamond combo. Lovely! The ones PSers also posted here are FAB.
30.gif

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve seen a much sleeker Kirk Kara version of that halo-diamond-solitaire-with-halo''d-sapphire-eternity-3-dimensional-shank-ring (in other words, I think the one in your photo has way too many things going on).

I do like a wide diamond band (or set of 3 stack rings) as long as there aren''t a bunch of different shapes and patterns to clutter up the look -- and think that worn alone it can be quite elegant.

UpgradeMe

Rough_Rock
Well lookie there, I found some other people who like it! ;-) I did see (after someone mentioned it) that there is a Kirkara set very similar to this one. I like it but I think it''ll be out of my budget. I am so thankful for this forum too because I was just looking at rings and designs I like. I hadn''t really thought about the functionality or comfort of them. Duh! Looking at it now I can see that it probably not be the most comfortable. Thanks for the heads up.

I love the look of the wide style Bev K bands but now I''m concerned about losing stones! And then there is the comfort thing. I wonder if they make any of them that are more like 3/4 eternity bands?

I''ve pretty much decided at this point that I want a center sapphire stone. I looked around at faycullen and even emailed them asking if they could do a setting they have in white gold instead of platinum. They got back with me SUPER fast which was great. Looks like they could do the ring in my budget but I''m not ready to commit. It''s an art deco ring but looking at the close up shots some of the bezel and millgrain work looks a little wonky. I''m wondering if it''s just shadows on the ring? Here it is...

http://www.faycullen.com/engagement_rings/800/f205r5sd.html

I also really like this one from there, although I''d prefer a darker sapphire... http://www.faycullen.com/engagement_rings/800/e303r3sd.html

And then I found this one from Knox... http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=275&rn=1310&action=show_detail

DH likes the first one the best. His least favorite is the one from Knox but I love how it sparkles!

I''m wondering however, with each of these what they''d look like with bands. I so wish I had access to big stores where I could actually try these things on!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results