shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blingbling

Rough_Rock
Hi....I have been reading this forum for awhile and think it''s fabulous!!!

I have a question though:

I am looking at a diamond that has the following info.

Round brilliant
1.01 carat
E color
SI2 (completely eye clean)
Cut:Very Good
6.44x6.40x3.99mm
Cut class 1 (according to GIA gemologist)

The price is $4600 Cdn (plus setting)

How does it sound?

I hope someone can help me out. Thanks in advance.

blingbling

Rough_Rock
Doesn't anybody want to reply to my post?!?!?!?!?!

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
Bling... I'm all about replying and helping people out (as many have done for me on here; I am becoming addicted to this place). I however know diddly about Round stones. All my energy and education has gone into Princess cut, which I just bought last week. Have you used the Cut Advisor on here? Other tools as well? Have you shopped on other sites like bluenile.com, niceice.com who replies to this site often as does goodoldgold.com? Good spots for comparison sake.

You said "Cut class 1 (according to GIA gemologist)"; is this not a GIA certfied diamond? If not, what cert is it? Where did you see the stone?

Good luck.

blingbling

Rough_Rock
The diamond is GemScan certified. Being from Canada, I find most diamonds here are GemScan certified and I don't know how I feel about that considering some stuff I read on the forum about them. However, Gemscan does use Sarin technology to come up with the specs.

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
Well, I know zilch about GemScan. I can't give input on that good or bad. I also am not sure how much 4600 Canadian translates into for US Money. But, I searched on Bluenile... I happen to like their search engine.

http://www.bluenile.com/certs/386/GIA12524222.jpeg - GIA Ideal Cut, I, SI2. $3,704 American.

That is just one example. I am basically worthless from here now.

Good luck and hopefully others will pipe in with their thoughts too.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamond looks a little smaller than a true 1c stone...the diameter should be more like 6.50. But that's a small thing...the price is very good for a 1c stone with an E color..esp if is it eye clean!

Do you have crown and pavilion angle information?

I don't know much about GemScan...plug the #'s into the AGA DIY Cut grader at www.gemappraisers.com and see what it has to say about the stone!
1.gif

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
I know about GemScan.

It is based in Ontario.

It's a lab.

However they grade Cut using the "Ideal, very good, good, etc..." term..

My advice would be to ask the vendor what's the number of the certificate
then call GemScan and ask for the pavilion and crown info.

Now for the price, is this before the 15% tax and 10% excise tax?

Trichrome.

blingbling

Rough_Rock
Hi....thanks for the help so far.

A couple of questions:

Mara: Should I be worried about the diameter too much?

Trichome: What do you think of GemScan? In answer to your questions, the price quoted ($4600 Cdn) includes the 10% but not the 15% tax. I called GemScan and they said that to give the diamond a cut grade of Very Good, all the specs would have to fall in the Class 1 category.
Does that make sense?

Anyways, thanks again for everyone's help but I would like some more help if possible

blingbling

Rough_Rock
Sorry...I misspelled Trichrome

blingbling

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone....again!!!!!

Can anyone help me out there?!!?!?!?!?!?!

I really need sum help!!!!

BlingBling

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
If the stone is eye clean, it looks like a good buy.

However, you need to be sure what is a class 1 FOR GemScan.

Ask them what the pavilion and crown angles are ?

You need that info before buying.

The other choice you have is take the stone to an appraiser and get that
info then pay for the stone.

Trichrome.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Bling: You likely aren't getting any replies because you haven't gotten the info that Mara and Trichrome asked about.

The crown/pav angles play heavily into determining the alignment of the facets which affect the performance of a diamond.

If you get that information, I'm fairly certain you'll get the help you're looking for.

blingbling

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know.....If I call GemScan with the GemScan number can they give me the information about crown/pavillion angles over the phone?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 8/4/2003 11
6.gif
6.gif
2 AM blingbling wrote:

Does anyone know.....If I call GemScan with the GemScan number can they give me the information about crown/pavillion angles over the phone?

----------------
In reading Trichrome's earlier post, I'd say he already confirmed for you previously that they do....."My advice would be to ask the vendor what's the number of the certificate then call GemScan and ask for the pavilion and crown info."

blingbling

Rough_Rock
I'll call GemScan asap so everyone can help me out some more....thanks again!

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Now for the price:

4000$US for the stone would be a very good price.
it's 5600$CDN+10%excise tax+15%tax = 7000$CDN everything included

So I must say that the price you quoted in canadian dollars is extremely
good. How come is that? Is the stone 100% natural?

My last advice would be to try to get it appraised before buying it in full.

Trichrome.

blingbling

Rough_Rock
Hi Trichrome.....thanks for all you help. Sorry to hear that you'll be retiring from the forum and congratulations on your upcoming proposal!!!

In response to your queries.....I called GemScan and they said that they cannot give me the specs on the phone and that I would have to pay to get a detailed diamond grading report...fair enough. The diamond cut is very good and the gemologist says that it translates to an AGS cut class 1.

The total price for the diamond is working out to be $5500 incl. setting and 15% tax......you're saying its a really good deal?!?!?!?!

Anyways, the good news is that I don't have to pay for it until the appraisal comes back and the jeweller and I will both be present for that so I will show the $$$$$ only if the ring is appraised at what he told me it would be.....a 1.01 carat round brilliant, very good cut, E color, and SI2 clarity (which is completely eye clean)!!!!!

Any thoughts???????

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 8/5/2003 10:28:49 AM blingbling wrote:
The diamond cut is very good and the gemologist says that it translates to an AGS cut class 1.

The total price for the diamond is working out to be $5500 incl. setting and 15% tax......you're saying its a really good deal?!?!?!?!

Anyways, the good news is that I don't have to pay for it until the appraisal comes back and the jeweller and I will both be present for that so I will show the $$$$$ only if the ring is appraised at what he told me it would be.....a 1.01 carat round brilliant, very good cut, E color, and SI2 clarity (which is completely eye clean)!!!!!

Any thoughts??????? ----------------
Bling, I'm sure you won't find this thought helpful, but the best comment I can give you is this. No one here can say for certainty whether or not your deal is a good one until you get the results of the appraisal.

A 1.01 carat E SI2 stone can run anywhere from $2943 USD per carat for the least well-cut stone all the way up to $5823 USD per carat for a super-ideal H&A cut stone.

Frankly, it doesn't matter what the gemologist at Gemscan tells you (about the diamond being very good and falling within AGS 1 parameters) unless he has the data to back up what he says. And, if he had it, he'd have given it to you.

Once you get your appraisal, you'll have a much better idea if the price is a fair one.

Good luck.

blingbling

Rough_Rock
I will try and see if I can get a detailed grading report on the diamond...thanks for the thoughts!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results