shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this (price, quality)?.. mostly price?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

babamukuru

Rough_Rock
I''ve been looking for some time now, researching and have contacted various vendors.
My specs are as follows:
Carat: 1.25-1.4
Cut: Excellent/Ideal (depending on cert)
Color: H, I, would consider J
Clarity: VS2, SI1, SI2 (on the edges)
Depth: 59.5% (as close to)
Table: 56.0% (as close to)
Crown: 33.8 (as close to)
Pavilion: 40.5 (as close to)
Polish: Excellent, Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent, Very Good
Fluorescence: Not too important
Girdle: Thin, medium
Culet: None
Certificate: GIA or AGS

Thoughts?
I have quotes from 5200-8000... not sure what I should go with (price vs. perceived reputation). All vendors are online.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just curious how you came up with those exact proportion preferences? The combo is somewhat shallow.

I see plenty of stones meeting your (wide) specs in the 5000s.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are sort of unusual measurements. But I just wanted to mention that if you wanted ideal cut, Good Old Gold has two H VS2 stones in the 1.4 range, which is a very hard size to find. They are close to $10,000.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
As has already been noted,.......... Those proportions are less than Ideal.

Chances are, the stones you''ve been quoted are Virtual diamonds. Diamonds from the List that any Vendor could quote.

Those proportions don''t look like anything a PS Vendor would stock, "In House". Unless, it was a consignment or a favor for an existing customer in one of the B&M Shops that post on PS.

babamukuru

Rough_Rock
HCA adviser shows up as EX EX EX EX when using those numbers and when depth is increased by a factor of up to 2, spread becomes VG to G.
Why would it be less than ideal?

avlis

Shiny_Rock
ah yes, the omnipotence of the HCA. I beleive the HCA is more of a rejection tool, to weed out the 4s and 5s and above. down in the lower ranges, there is a lot of room for personal taste and opinion. the HCA is also finite in its grades. there is a 0.1% difference between an Excellent, and a Very Good. Diamonds are analog, not digital.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi bab,

In my opinion, you are focusing on the wrong results in regard to the HCA. While you do get Ex''s across the board, it can''t truly know that, because it doesn''t take into account the minor facets. Also, most well cut stones don''t get an EX in spread, VG is the norm, and just fine.

If you look at the graph, and where the x falls in relation to your numbers, you''re out of both boxes (outlined in green and white). Ideally, you want the x to be in the overlap area between AGS and GIA.

babamukuru

Rough_Rock
Great, thanks!
Back to the drawing board...!
I actually viewed quite a few diamonds so far to get an idea of what all these numbers mean in person.
I could not discern colors, up until J, could not tell clarity, up until SI2 but could definitely draw conclusions on crown and pavilion angles based on overall brilliance (if that makes sense). Depth and table I could only draw conclusions after seeing the numbers.
I am suffering from analysis paralysis
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results