shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this Pair?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

What do you think of this pair of RB's? They are both GIA graded and they list out at .65 carats each with about 5.6 mm diameters 60.4 and 61.3% depths and 57% tables. Looks like a perfect match, don't they?

But wait, here are the sarins:

Stone1

5.60 - 5.66 mm

60.4% depth

57.4% table

crown angle 33.8 (33.7 - 34)

pavillion angle 40.9 (40.5 - 41.2)

girdle: thin to sl. thick

HCA 1.1

Stone 2

5.58 - 5.62 mm

61.3% depth

57.3% table

crown angle 36.0 (35.7 - 36.4)

pavillion angle 40.8 (40.6 - 40.9)

girdle: med to sl. thick

HCA 3.6

The first stone has better angles, but should I be concerned about the variance in the pavillion angles? The second stone is steep with a large variance in the crown angles. These are dropped shipped so I can't get an good opinion before I buy. They are both listed as "ideal" It almost seems that they cut to make sure they were .65 carat and no less?

I was thinking of buying the first one and trying to match it later. I found another one that has a 55% table. Do you think the 2% table difference wil be noticable?

I'm probably going overboard for studs, if it were for side stones in a ring I'd want matching tables, but the challenge is fun.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I suspect no one will notice the difference once one is in each ear, but personally I''d rather wait for ones that are closer in performance. Yeah, maybe just get #1 for now, so you have something to play with! ;-)

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

That''s what I was thinking as well Hest. I don''t have a loose dimaond to play with right now. The IdealScope is getting lonely.

I was wondering how a 55% table would look matched with a 57% table? I found a better cut one with a 55% table to replace #2. Does anyone know?

No one else likes my pair?

hoorray

Ideal_Rock

I doubt that different table sizes it would be noticable. They will be separated by a head afterall..

2.gif
I guess smaller tables lead to more fire, so they might have a slight different look, but how noticable? It seems hard to believe that it would be very.

When I've done my earring searches, I've called the vendors to see if they can help pair up stones. Sometimes thay came up with stones that I didn't see on their website. I was surprised that some of them were pretty loose in their pairings -- especially on mm, which is the first thing I tried to match. It might be tough to buy one stone now and then be locked into those specs for matching a second stone unless this vendor has a good upgrade/return policy so that if you found two other stones, you could swap this one back.

Sorry to hear about your lonely idealscope..... I hate to hear about it going through a dry spell!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Noob,

Lop has a good point.  It may be prudent to go with the pair now, while the vendor can match the stones on sight.  I agree with the consensus that a 2% table difference will not be noticeable with studs. 

Additionally, a good return policy will allow you to verify all of this for yourself.  Certainly YOU know to buy the stones, not the paper
2.gif

Best,

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/10/2004 11
6.gif
8:41 PM
Author: JohnQuixote
Noob,

Lop has a good point. It may be prudent to go with the pair now, while the vendor can match the stones on sight. I agree with the consensus that a 2% table difference will not be noticeable with studs.

Additionally, a good return policy will allow you to verify all of this for yourself. Certainly YOU know to buy the stones, not the paper
2.gif

Best,

Well unfortunately John, this vendor only drop ships and does not have the most skilled and trained CSRs. Both of those stones were listed with same carat weight, same table and as "ideal", but one is 1A AGA cut class and the other is 2B. It shows how much variation there can be in someone's ideal definition

Why am I using them you ask? I'm trying to find something very specific and I can buy them today or even a year from now. It keeps me off the streets I guess. So to be mindful and considerate of vendor's time, I doing most of the work myself and only contacting them when I come across something I think is interesting. I don't mind if I buy one and it takes me six months to find a match, although I admit I'm probably being much to picky.

I think I'll buy stone 1 and stone 3 if it checks out OK and see how they look. They have a good return policy.

P.S. No offense to WF, but I liked your old avitar better
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results