shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this pair or pears?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
OOPS! My title should have been read "pair of pears"!

I got a picture of the first set from Lesley today. I'm not sure about them, so I wanted to get your opinions. To recap, I am getting a custom ring made by Whiteflash. It will be inspired by the Tiffany round brilliant with two pear shaped side stones.

My initial reaction is that the pointed ends are too rounded for my taste. Should they be more pointed? I do like the "fatness" of the other end though. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

cpsterpear1.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2006 1:40:01 AM
Author:cpster

My initial reaction is that the pointed ends are too rounded for my taste. Should they be more pointed?

The points get under prongs ... dunno what''s the point of a point. These don''t look ''blunted'' to me. Sharp ends on diamonds tend to chip... so I''m not sorry to find ones w/o such features.

Just an idea.

These two look rather brilliant and nicely matched to me. Also nicely matched to the center!
1.gif

I can''t post pictures ''till the server gets better. Otherwise I woud have ''set'' these in V-tip and round prongs to show what they''d look like with the points hidden as they get in a ring.
38.gif

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Is it just me that can''t see the picture?

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
You are always so helpful Ana! The center stone is actually not my stone.
1.gif
I haven't sent mine in yet. I think Lesley said it was a 2ct so mine is slightly larger at 2.33. I'm attaching another picture of a set a pears from some other ring posted on PS. I like how the the pointed end has "straighter" lines towards the point. I hope that makes sense.
4.gif

cpsterpear2.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks
1.gif

Well... now I get it... hopefully: the angle at the tip is smaller or larger between these options.

I would think this is a matter of preference not quality, and you should be able to find (or WF to find for you as it is the case0 exactly the right thing. It can''t be that hard since I think that most pears have the points narrower, as you prefer.

The size of the pears looks great with these rounds. But a slightly larger one should be as nice between them, IMO. Would it make a difference to you if the center is relatively larger a bit?

Great dilemma, btw !
2.gif
''Debating'' diamonds is fun.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't know the weight of the sides... just fit the proportions between sides and centre from the pictures.
38.gif

223338.JPG

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t see the pictures - I''ll check back later today.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I love the look of pear side stone on a round center.
30.gif
I think the proportions will look great even with your larger center diamond.

I understand exactly what you are saying, Cpster, about the pointed end of the pears. I think this is referred to as "bulge." I don''t particularly like pears with a lot of bulge either, but the pic you posted looks very nice -- not too fat, not to skinny, and nicely rounded at the shoulders and not too much bulge. The overall shape of pears is a personal preference. I do not like pears when the top/shoulder area is flat making the shape look more like a shield than a teardrop. That''s just me though.

Do you have more information on this pair of pears?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can see what you are saying now that you posted pictures of the other set of pears, but I don''t think the shape of the ones WF showed you are displeasing in the least. My first thought was how stunning they looked next to that center stone!!! I also agree with Ana that the ends will be covered by prongs, which will lend a more pointed look...but that may not be enough for your tastes. I do have to reiterate that I think they''re gorgeous!

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
I agree, I really think they look wonderful! The reletive sizes look great to me also! I prefer rounded pears, so maybe that''s why I''m so attracted to these, but they really do look stunning!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
looks great

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the proportions look great too. I do see what you are saying about the tips but am wondering if you would notice it at all once they are set..

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Perfect
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
If you don''t want the pears, I''ll take them
2.gif
31.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can finally see the pictures!

I understand what you are saying - you would probably need to be shown another set to make a real judgment call. If in fact the ends are under v-tip prongs then it probably won''t make a difference. What was the total carat weight of the pair shown? I do like the top portion of the pears - there is enough heft there to make the stones blend better. I prefer three stone rings to have smaller side stones - I still like the center stone to be the center of attention.

Please let us know what you decide . . . decisions, decisions. . .

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also love the proportions and favor "fatter" pairs so they look great to me!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i am just now becoming in lust with pear shapes....and i like them fat. those look great to me....and i think they''d looking stunning set.

movie zombie

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your responses. Special thanks to Ana for putting together the comparison graphic! You guys got me, and of course you guys explain it better than my cryptic posts. Yes, I think I like less bulge at the tip end, with a narrower tip angle. I like how the second sample photo that I posted seems to have more of a "round brilliant" feel at the fat end.

I don''t have any specifics on the first set sent for consideration other than 6x4 mm H/SI1 (my center stone is a H color). I did mention that I''m looking for a set between .60ctw and .70ctw. I''ve emailed Lesley back to get more specifics as well as another set for consideration. I do want the center stone to stand out more with the pears definately more as side stones. Luckily with Kaleigh''s beautiful example I''m pretty sure something around .70ctw will be good.

Do you think SI1 in stones this size are okay? I hope to ask for Sarin information once I''m happy with the general shape of a pair just to make me feel more confident in my final decision.

Thanks!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think they look great. My pears are .68 so .70 will be perfect. Good luck, I am so excited for you. My ring will have a twin!!!
1.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
IMO these are PERFECT--plus the points will be notched into the v shaped prongs making them pointier

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Chiming in a little late but I like the two fatter pears also. I think they are really brilliant in the pictures and would nicely complement your round diamond.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot to check back to see the photos, but now I have, I have to say the two pears look gorgeous - I love fat pears. I really think they''ll look more pointed once set, but if you''ve got doubts, then follow your instincts and wait for a pair of pears that satisfy you, after all you''ll be wearing the ring and it should be perfect to you. If I was to have a 3-stone ring, I''d definitely want those pears - they''re gorgeous!

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Think they are beautiful

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2006 11:57:55 PM
Author: cpster

Do you think SI1 in stones this size are okay?

Sure

I hope to ask for Sarin information once I'm happy with the general shape of a pair just to make me feel more confident in my final decision.

IMO, Iscope would be allot more informative and more precise info by leaps and bounds give the size and shape of the stones. I know WF does cute IS pictures, but if these turn out tedious to shoot - I'd take their word for it too. You can always get your own 'scope for an ex-post reality check.
My 2c.

It looks like you are heading towards a great ring anyway I'd turn the options mentioned on this thread
3.gif

PS. I didn't know what is the weight of the pears in your photo and made a really bad aproximation (.8cts!). And this is where the funny numbers on the DC picture came from.

CoutureFemme

Shiny_Rock
YAY pears! I love your pair of pears! Agree with Ana that the tips will be in protected by prongs anyway - so you probably won''t even notice them. I love how plump they are! Great pick!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Hey Cpster!!!
Where are we here??
41.gif

any new photos or progress?

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!
35.gif

I''m waiting for another pair to come in for consideration. Lesley says that Leon says that we will need to wait another week and a half for some new stones to become available. I''ll be sure to post photos of the new pair as soon as I get them.

For now...I am patiently waiting.
1.gif

Thanks for checking in!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
just checking in again!
31.gif
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results