shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this oval?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CJS924

Shiny_Rock
Could I please get some honest opinions about this stone (it''s a replacement for my original stone which chipped)? I would totally appreciate it :) Here''s the info off of the IGI report...

oval brilliant cut
Measurements: 6.05 x 4.36 x 2.81 mm
Carat Weight: 0.50
Depth: 64.4%
Table: 58%
Girdle: medium to very thick, faceted
Culet: none
Polish: good
Symmetry: good
Clarity: SI2
Color: G
Fluorescence: none

SKR

Shiny_Rock
Given the info -

- L/W of 1.38 is a nice ratio (my opinion).
- Table is on the button
- Slightly deep at 64% but not massively so.
- Not sure how trustworthy IGI is compared to GIA - also SI2 might not be eye clean which could be important to you.
- Find out where the girdle is very thick - sometimes it can only be at one or two points so your not wasting too much carat weight
- Find out why it got a good symmetry rating. Is it the outline or is something off centre (culet, table etc)? Good is still good though but its worth getting an opinion.
- Check if you are happy with the bowtie.

Above all check the stone your self and try to get a couple of other stones to do a direct face off in the same room and lighting conditions.

CJS924

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your input :)

Yeah, I like the L/W ratio as well and while it is slightly deep, I''m okay with that. The stone is definitely eye clean and the bowtie is very minimal, but I should have asked at how many points is the girdle very thick (the stone is already being mounted in my setting as we speak). A good oval is tough to find!

Any other opinions out there by any chance?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really think you need a picture for anyone to comment. Was your old stone IGI certified? If yours was GIA, I would not accept an IGI certified diamond. I''d be afraid of IGI SI2 and I wouldn''t be thrilled about very thick on the girdle. But medium to slightly thick might be good since the last one chipped.

CJS924

Shiny_Rock
Sorry...no pics of the stone, but honestly, for an SI2, I think it looks great. Definitely eye clean. My last stone was also an SI2 and it was eye clean as well.

Again, the medium-very thick girdle isn''t ideal knowing that I''m losing some weight there and it''s not as spready; however, the diamond will be tension-set in a semi-bezel (east-west). So...if there''s quite a bit of exposure on either side of the diamond, wouldn''t it be alright to have some areas where it''s a bit thicker? In fact, the chip off of my last diamond came right off of the girdle
8.gif

CJS924

Shiny_Rock
Any other opinions out there? Please?
35.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll reply just to bump it up for you. It does sound like the thick girdle might protect your stone a little more in the setting you have. The main thing is, do you like the stone and do you feel that it is as good as the one that was chipped?

CJS924

Shiny_Rock
Thanks
9.gif
Honestly, my original stone was very poorly cut. So while this one isn''t perfect, it''s definitely much better. My last stone had a ginormous table and while icy white (E), it often times looked rather lifeless. Then...the girdle chipped (uh...crumbled) one day and I decided that I was going to try to find a better cut diamond. Too bad my husband originally bought it at a B&M...the mark-up is astronomical!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results