shape
carat
color
clarity

what do you think of this old cushion?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

daphnatic

Rough_Rock
Hi Pricescoper''s
35.gif

After more than 6 yrs of daily lurking ( and frequent drooling..) I finally have a question to post!

I have an opportunity to buy, private sale ( no returns) an old ring with the following ''appraisal''

Old Mine Cut diamond 6.71mm X 4.78 mm , est weight by formula 1.31 cts. Color L- M, Clarity VS-2.

I say ''appraisal, because this info from a jewelery store, for insurance purposes, not a professional appraisal. ( Note -store doing the ''appraisal'' is NOT the seller of ring, it''s an old family ring.

negotiated price is $1500. what do you think?

I like the warm color, I''m not worried about the VS-2 clarity, and this is just another fun ring to add to my collection-- not an E ring.

Given the price, and private sale It is not something I can purchase and then return if it does not meet appraisal specs. I''ll try and post the appraisal, but in the meantime, what do you think?

thanks!
Daph
PS will post photos of my collection later ( now that i jumped the first post barrier!)

lisa.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a face-on picture? Have you seen the piece yourself? Price is good, but I would need to see the diamond head on before I'd feel comfortable.

Oh, and WELCOME!!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Daph and welcome out of very long lurkdom!!

Is this the ring in the attached pic?

daphnatic

Rough_Rock
yes, that is the ring and stone, . One question I had is the size 6.71 X 4.78 --to me that is out of round enough to qualify as pillowy cushion... am I dreaming? this is the best head on I have.

Thanks everyone!

lisaheadon.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi daph,
wow what a long time of lurking!

I'm sure it could just be the photo - but the stone's looking very..cloudy, no?
Perhaps its dirty?
From the little I can see, the facets do look pretty - but its not easy to say for sure.

I think, if you're going to do something with no returns and can't see it in person,
you absolutely need to get Much better photos to make an informed decision, kwim?

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking the same thing...looks cloudy, not really reflecting the light?? Maybe it is just the picture. But, I do like the facets, from what I can see in the picture. And, it looks like it has a culet, which I love.

The dimensions seem not to match the pic to me - which would be a l/w ratio of 1.40. It doesn''t seem that rectangular to me. Perhaps the "4.78" number is the depth measurement?

daphnatic

Rough_Rock
Thanks all--
I can''t see it in person before purchasing.

And yes it does look cloudy, but I was thinking ( ok, honesty here--- Hoping) that is was just dirty.

and hum maybe the 4.78mm is the depth, not width ?

As I said, it''s just a fun ring to add to the collection and eventually hand down to nieces and granddaughters...

worth the risk at $1500 or forget it?

thanks so very much!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it has tons of potential! The shape looks (though hard to tell from the pics) like a cushion rather than off-round, but I agree that the 4.78 measurement is likely depth. I'm guessing that it's in need of a good long soak and steam! Looks dirty to me.

Insist on a reasonable return policy, then see it for yourself. The price is great for a stone this size, assuming it's a nice diamond in person.

Great find!

daphnatic

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone, here is the last photo I have. I appreciate all your kind and helpful comments...

Daph
1.gif

whitebckgrnd.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
The price is reasonable given the no-returns and private sale thing, and presuming the specs are at least in the ballpark. I am not clear on if you are going to be able to look at in person... if so, that''s great; you can usually tell pretty quickly if an old cut "speaks" to you or not. If you have to decide off these pics, I would have a really tough time doing that myself.

I would want a much clearer, less glare-y, head on shot. Its hard to tell much from these pics, like what the facet pattern is like etc. That''s important to me, as an old cut fan, anyway... it looks promising though. I would say that the fogginess/glassiness would probably be from bad photography. If the pics are from the seller, they could very well have no idea how to photograph a diamond (oddly a difficult task!) I don''t think the black background is helping- I think the camera is overexposing the diamond and whiting it out some because of the black background. If nothing else, I''d ask the seller to try to get a straight-down shot on a white background. While they may not be a pro photographer, that might help some.

Oh and yeah, I''m pretty sure the second measurement is depth. There''s no way that stone is *that* rectangular!

Good luck!

DaCounselor

Rough_Rock
Honest opinion - it''s not looking great in the pix. What does that mean? It means it''s not looking great in the pix...as others have stated, it appears "cloudy" or "milky". What will it look like in person? I have no idea. So it appears to be a bit of a dice-roll on this one, in my opinion. Personally, I do not bet $1500 on a roll of the dice, but others may be less risk-averse than I.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Can you ask for better pictures or is there anyone in the area that can look at it for you? It does look cloudy in the picture. If it is truly a beautiful stone than 1500 sounds like a steal.
35.gif
35.gif

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I''m with Erica- it could be a winner.
What concerns me is that the photos seem to purposefully avoid showing the diamond head on......as if there is something to hide......

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
What strikes me most about this stone is the table. In the OMC's I've seen, and the one I own, you have the very high crown, and a pretty tiny table to go with. What this stone reminds me of, especially the first shot, is the stone my mom had that ended up being glass. I'm not saying this one is, just that the table/crown relationship look strikingly similar.

OR7993.JPG

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Should I feel bad that I want to scream "BUY IT!!" so that we can really find out how it looks?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
$1500 spent on something that you will not be happy with is $1500 lost. Can you afford to flush away $1500? If it is not backed with a reasonable return policy I wouldn''t risk it.

daphnatic

Rough_Rock
Well I''m not looking to flush $1500 down the drain, but I am fairly willing to take a calculated risk.....

I''ll see if there is any way I can get a straight head on shot with out glare. I can also call the jewelery store who did the ''appraisal'' and see if he has any comments. Too bad I don''t know anyone in Northern CA who can go look at it for me.

thanks everyone for your thoughts...

-Daph
35.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 8:06:49 AM
Author: daphnatic
Well I''m not looking to flush $1500 down the drain, but I am fairly willing to take a calculated risk.....

I''ll see if there is any way I can get a straight head on shot with out glare. I can also call the jewelery store who did the ''appraisal'' and see if he has any comments. Too bad I don''t know anyone in Northern CA who can go look at it for me.

thanks everyone for your thoughts...

-Daph
35.gif
Ask them to clean it really well first too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results