shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this (included) Mahenge?

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
This is only the third Mahenge spinel I've seen close up, so would appreciate some honest opinions. It's obviously included, and cut with a checker top (not my favorite). It does have a nice glow outside and I actually prefer the neon pinks to the more reddish Mahenges. At around 8mm, it would be the perfect size for a ring stone. I think I can sometimes see a bit of orangish pink when indoors. It's still within the return period... Return or keep? (I tried to get pics in various lighting, but am photographing and posting from my phone. Hope they post correctly!)

*it is from Yvonne, but not the one that was posted on the forum! So I didn't poach the stone... It was a reject from one of her other customers who didn't like the inclusions. ::)

Indoors:

_38516.jpg

_38517.jpg

_38518.jpg

_38519.jpg

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Outdoors:

_38520.jpg

_38521.jpg

_38523.jpg

_38522.jpg

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi Blingbunny,
The garnet is a very pretty colour, and it sounds like the colour that you're looking for.
For me , it would be too included. I've never seen a mahenge in real life, but I have three other garnets and one of the things that I love about them is the sparkle. But some people prefer glow over sparkle, so it's all a matter of personal taste.
As far as the checkerboard cut goes, I seem to remember reading a post here on PS where someone said that's a cut that is sometimes used to try and mask inclusions.
There a several vendors who have mahenges now, and from the photos at least, they don't look as included as yours.
Hope this helps you decide.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
(I think you mean spinel, not garnet? Yours may be garnets but the OP is asking about a spinel.)
I concur that the color and glow are attractive and the size seems impressive, as well. I do think it is a matter of taste, though, and the inclusions may not bother you as much as they would some buyers.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Whoops, your're right. Sorry about that. :wall:
I have been looking at mahenge garnets online, so my brain did an autocorrect!
But the rest of what I said still holds, except for the part about several vendors; those were for garnets. I don't know anything about spinels, except that good mahenge spinels with great colour seem hard to come by. Are they usually quite sparkly?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MS without visible inclusions can be extremely pricey. If you like it and enjoy it, then its the stone for you. As long as the inclusions don't mar performance, I don't see it as an issue. In some cases inclusions can lower the price and HELP performance. The checkerboard cut can also hide the inclusions but IMO its a matter of personal taste as well. I like the cut on this stone, its well proportioned and I can also see that the cut + inclusions adds to the stone's glow.

If the price was right I'd probably keep it.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color is lovely. The cut and inclusions are deal breakers for me.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do you think you would be happy with the stone in the long run? If not, I'd keep looking around and bide my time.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the color but I think due to the cut and inclusions it would be much better as a pendant stone rather than for a ring. But if you are fine with those in a ring, it is your preference.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it's important to find out if YOU really like it or not.
1. Can you see yourself wearing this stone? Try to imagine how would you set it, etc.
2. Toss a coin. Doesn't matter what the result is, but if you get a "no, don't keep it" and you feel some regret, then the answer is "yes", keep it, same analysis with a "yes" answer. Simple, right?

:wavey:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1477760358|4091788 said:
MS without visible inclusions can be extremely pricey. If you like it and enjoy it, then its the stone for you. As long as the inclusions don't mar performance, I don't see it as an issue. In some cases inclusions can lower the price and HELP performance. The checkerboard cut can also hide the inclusions but IMO its a matter of personal taste as well. I like the cut on this stone, its well proportioned and I can also see that the cut + inclusions adds to the stone's glow.

If the price was right I'd probably keep it.

I agree with Arcadian...

FWIW I have a Mahenge Spinel pear-cut with checkerboard; I bought it preloved from Katharath (I think) via LoupeTroop. My MS is definitely included but the checkerboard helps disguise/distract from the inclusions and the stone itself *glows* like it is lit up inside. Over the years I've purchased several Mahenge Spinels but I ended up selling them; this checkerboard pear-cut turned out to have everything I wanted in my own MS - for me, the inclusions and the tiny window are non-issues compared to the neon color and overall performance of the stone.

In case it helps, here's a pic from the original LT listing (my MS is the pear-cut on the left), and a pic of it set in an 18kt YG lotus setting by Heart of Water. (Note: Neither photo shows the Spinel's saturated neon color which is obvious IRL but I thought the pics still might be helpful.)

katharath_-_1.jpg

il_fullxfull_33.jpg

Personally, with my own CS purchases through the years, I've learned that if I have doubts about a stone at the outset, I'll continue have the same doubts even after I have it set... so even if you like the round Mahenge's color and size, maybe for you the checkerboard top and the inclusions means this stone isn't singing for you.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Marymm - this stone also made me think of your pear. I was literally wondering about that pear just today and was curious if you had set it/still owned it - it is such a beautiful stone and I have to admit that it's one of the few pieces I regret selling!!! Your ring is gorgeous and I'm so glad you've enjoyed the gem - if you ever think of rehoming it, I'd seriously want you to contact me first, lol.

Thank you for posting, and for satisfying my curiosity with the update on your stone :)

ETA - my main reason for letting this one go is that I'm terrible at setting pear shapes, but I so love what you did with this one!!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Bling bunny - re:your stone, you've received good advice. I personally think I would overlook the inclusions for the color and the round cut/size of the stone. BUT that said, that's admittedly partly bc I own other well cut, very clean mahenges, and I would enjoy owning both types. If you don't think you could wholeheartedly love it as is, then pass on it... If it were me, I'd keep it!! That color is striking.

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Personally I LOOOOVE that stone! The color ans glow are amazing. The inclusions probably wouldn't bother me. It's a great size too!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could live with the inclusions because of the color and size :love:

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love your Mahenge spinel. The colour and glow are gorgeous. I am very attracted to glowy stones and I'd be all over this one in a heartbeat. I personally don't let inclusions bother me as I think they can add character to a gemstone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lilmosun|1477803591|4091952 said:
I could live with the inclusions because of the color and size :love:

lol I feel the same way! But you have to love it, so if you have any doubts then 100% return.

S

SparkliesLuver

What did you decide, blingbunny10?
(I was going to offer my opinion but figured I'd better ask first since I missed this over the weekend.)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE the colour. Depending on the price, I could go for it in a heart beat. Pendant? 100% yes. Ring? Depends on how I feel about it IRL but you just don't see such pop of colour in Mahenge these days.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry! I started this thread and basically abandoned it over the weekend. :oops:

Garnetgirl and boerumbiddy - Yep, asking about spinel. I actually did look at MG's recently, but they weren't for me (at least not the ones I bought). Yes, spinels are usually sparkly, but with the checker cut top and inclusions, I bought for color and glow instead. Was not expecting sparkle.

Arcadian - Yes, and MS w/o visible inclusions seems impossible to find in the color I want in substantial sizes, at least at a price I can afford! I've been searching for the past 2-3 years and been coming up empty.

LisaRN - I'm usually a stickler for eye-clean, unless we're talking about cabs, so I understand the response!

Burmesedaze - I don't know! Ideally it would have a different cut or fewer inclusions of course, but I don't know that I will ever have my ideal Mahenge. Meanwhile, this one is so pretty...

distracts - You're right, it would be much more suited to a pendant. But you should see my jewelry box... All rings! Ive bought pendants and necklaces, but never seem to wear them.

Gloria27 - Love the coin toss trick. I do think I would regret sending it back, so I think I will probably keep. I still have a few more days to mull it over.

marymm - Thanks so much for posting pics of your pear. I love that you also put it into a ring, which gives me a bit more assurance that I can put the stone in a ring and be happy with it. Yours looks lovely!

katharath, Fi Z, and lilmosun - I'm really glad you posted and signed off on the color. :bigsmile: katharath, I love the stones I bought from you some time ago, so I trust your eye for color... And Fi Z and lilmosun, if I'm remembering correctly, I know you're fellow glowy stone lovers.

Poodles4me and lovedogs - Thanks!

SparkliesLuver - I haven't decided 100%, but am leaning toward keeping it. I'm waiting for a sunny day to see how the stone looks then. Please feel free to leave your opinion. :)

Chrono - Thanks! I really love your Mahenge and value your opinion, so I'm glad you like the color on this one. The price - well, not cheap, but no Mahenge spinel is these days. I'll say it seems like a good value for the color/size and for what I can afford right now.

S

SparkliesLuver

blingbunny10 said:
I haven't decided 100%, but am leaning toward keeping it. I'm waiting for a sunny day to see how the stone looks then. Please feel free to leave your opinion. :)

My only question was on your hand shots, it looks like there's a decent window/dark spot right in the middle. I don't see it on the other photos, so I'm curious if you see that IRL or no. Either way, just wanted to point it out. It could just be me! :lol: But the color looks fantastic. Have you louped it to inspect the inclusions? Just wondered if any are surface reaching as that's personally a big deal (since I love my rings). Spinel has increased drastically in price the past few months, so if you can afford it and like/love it, then I say keep it. Can't wait to hear what you decide!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like someone upthread said, if you're hesitating this much, its probably not the one for you. A stone you keep you should feel enthused about, Mahenges are NOT cheap, even now, but I dunno, you don't seem to be very happy about it at all.

Want to know why I stopped looking at Paraibas to own? Because I couldn't find what I wanted in my price range, and when I did find what I wanted, it was 6 figures....lol If I win the lottery (and not some itty bitty lottery, I want the mega millions!) I will revisit that idea.

I understand what you're feeling especially since you've waited a long time. So my advice is be realistic about what you want, but don't settle because you think that's the best you can do.

However you decide it has my vote. I gotta support my gem addict sisters and brothers :D

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1477935329|4092344 said:
blingbunny10 said:
I haven't decided 100%, but am leaning toward keeping it. I'm waiting for a sunny day to see how the stone looks then. Please feel free to leave your opinion. :)

My only question was on your hand shots, it looks like there's a decent window/dark spot right in the middle. I don't see it on the other photos, so I'm curious if you see that IRL or no. Either way, just wanted to point it out. It could just be me! :lol: But the color looks fantastic. Have you louped it to inspect the inclusions? Just wondered if any are surface reaching as that's personally a big deal (since I love my rings). Spinel has increased drastically in price the past few months, so if you can afford it and like/love it, then I say keep it. Can't wait to hear what you decide!

It looks like there is an inclusion right off center, just below the surface of the gem, which looks hazy at certain angles. Flipped upside down, there are more inclusions clustered toward the bottom of the pavilion- not sure if any are actually surface reaching or not, but I assume inclusions on the bottom like this wouldn't pose a risk for setting? I unfortunately misplaced my loupe and can't look any more closely. I do see what you mean about the window in my hand shots, I'd be good to find an empty setting to see if I can see the same effect off my hand. I don't see a window when it's sitting in the gem case.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
If there indeed is a small window then I'd send it back. I would be OK with the inclusions if there isn't that small window. Even if it's just an included cabochon I'd keep it, the inclusions will be masked pretty well with that clarity and shape, it would be a nice pendant stone, just hot pink color on your neck, but that small window is annoying to me, kinda emphasizes the clarity issue. I would be a deal breaker to me.

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Bling bunny - I bought the two smaller checkerboard mahenges that Yvonne sold soon after this one originally listed...I know what you mean about the inclusions. Since I'm planning to use them for earrings it's not a deal breaker for me, but as a ring they might be too much. The ones I have also have the darker center when placed on my fingers too, and one has a bit of a hazy cloud in one area.

I just wanted to let you know - in case you decide you'd rather have a different one - I would love to purchase this one to match the two 5.5mm checkboard mahenge rounds, and use it for a pendant & earring set. Just let me know if you decide you'd like something else.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Desertrose|1478454433|4094530 said:
Bling bunny - I bought the two smaller checkerboard mahenges that Yvonne sold soon after this one originally listed...I know what you mean about the inclusions. Since I'm planning to use them for earrings it's not a deal breaker for me, but as a ring they might be too much. The ones I have also have the darker center when placed on my fingers too, and one has a bit of a hazy cloud in one area.

I just wanted to let you know - in case you decide you'd rather have a different one - I would love to purchase this one to match the two 5.5mm checkboard mahenge rounds, and use it for a pendant & earring set. Just let me know if you decide you'd like something else.

Hi Desertrose - Thanks for posting. I've actually decided to keep it. Not sure if I will set it in pendant or ring, but I took out all my pink stones and popped the Mahenge into an empty setting and that clinched it. :) I did see your pair online and am looking forward to seeing them as earrings!

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I'm glad to hear it found a good home! It may take me awhile to set this pair but I will post pics when they get done.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results