shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Beebs

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone.

I have been browsing for a while now researching diamonds for an engagement ring, but this is my first post.

I have found an ''A Cut Above'' diamond at White Flash which I would like peoples opinions on. Details are:

0.491ct G SI1
5.07-5.14x3.1mm
Table: 57%
Total Depth: 60.7%
Crown angle: 34.9°
Crown height: 14.9%
Pavilion Angle: 40.7°
Pavilion depth: 42.9%
Girdle: 1.2 - 2.2% faceted
Ideal polish & symmetry
No culet
Negligible flourescence.

It scores 1.1 on the HCA (EX Light return, fire & scintillation, VG spread) & 1B on the AGA cut scale.

The asking price is $1220.

What do you think of quality & value? Is there anything in particular I should be checking?

Thanks!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Sounds very beautiful to me! ACA's are marvelous!
1.gif
1.gif

NewbieHere

Rough_Rock
I personally visited their offices (Houston) and looked at several stones. Every single one was absolutely gorgeous. You cannot go wrong buying from this company. The diamonds, service and honesty are all "A Cut Above".
appl.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Mega DITTOS to Giangi and Newbie.
love.gif

I previewed 2 ACA's and purchased one. Both were absolutely gorgeous. Much better performers than anything I found in local B&M's and the pricing was more than competitive!
1.gif

Beebs

Rough_Rock
OK, well that all seems very positive.

I have now found another couple of diamonds that I am interested in at NiceIce.

Diamond 1

0.47 H VS2 $1120.
4.98 x 5.02 x 3.07mm
Total depth = 61.4%
Table = 57%
Crown angle = 34.3°
Crown height = 14.7%
Pavillion angle = 41.1°
Pavillion depth = 43.2%
Culet = 0.4%
Girdle = 1.1 - 2.1%

It scores a 2.5 on the HCA with all Very Goods for light return etc.

Scores a 1A cut on the AGA scale.

It displays a fairly nice H&A pattern ( I think), but not good enough for them to list it as a H&A diamond.

Diamond 2

0.45 H VS2 $940.
4.92 x 4.96 x 3.04mm
Total depth = 61.5%
Table = 56.1%
Crown angle = 34.1°
Crown height = 14.8%
Pavillion angle = 41°
Pavillion depth = 43.1%
Culet = 0.6%
Girdle = 1.3 - 1.8%

It scores a 1.5 on the HCA with excellent for light return, Very Goods for the rest.

Scores a 1B cut on the AGA scale.

Again, this one displays a nice H&A pattern, but not enough for them to call it a H&A diamond. Supposedly the pattern on this one is a bit better than diamond 1.

Now I have a few questions
twirl.gif

First of all, what do you think of them quality/value wise compared to the ACA diamond (which is selling for $1160)?

How concerned should I be with the performance of diamond 1 on the HCA, considering it is a 1A on the AGA scale?

I am a little worried about getting a colour H diamond. I was planning to get G colour 'cos I figured that will definitely look white. Should I be concerned, or will I be ok as long as I don't take out grading stones to show my girlfriend?
twirl.gif

My final question concerns the size of the diamond. My last friend to get engaged bought a 0.55ct diamond for his fiance which everyone was really impressed with. Will a 0.45ct look much smaller (or a 0.49 for that matter). I really don't want my girlfriend coming off second best in the inevitable comparison.

Thanks heaps for your help so far.

Beebs

Nate

Shiny_Rock
I think you can get just as nice a stone but a bit bigger for the same price! A quick search on Pscope with the criteria 0.6-0.7ct, H&A, AGS 0, H-J comes up with these two stones from GoodOldGold.com:

$1275
0.607xt, I, SI1, 62.6% dpth, 53% tbl, 0.7-1.5 girdle, id sym, id pol
5.41-5.45*3.4

$1539
0.62ct, H, SI1, 61.9% dpth, 56% tbl, 1.3-2.0 girdle, id sym, id pol, no fluor
5.46-5.49*3.39

I wouldn't be too concerned with the I color, I went with a J and am totally happy! Stones with cuts as great as these face up white. Either of these will blow away your friend's diamond -- not only would it be bigger but it'll (mostly likely) have a better cut!
1.gif

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
The Hearts and Arrows
A CUT ABOVE
Sounds like the diamond your gal would love!

who wouldn't!!???!!!!!!
wavey.gif
wavey.gif

Beebs

Rough_Rock
Thanks folks.

I have decided to go with the 0.49ct G SI1 ACA from White Flash.

Thanks for all your help.

I will post a photo after we get it set.

Cheers

Beebs

P.S Thanks for doing some homework Nate, but I was on a bit of a tight schedule and didn't have time to start looking at more stones.

Nate

Shiny_Rock
Alright, I'm sure you'll love it! (though I wouldn't recommend rushing your purchase!!!
1.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results