shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chymystry

Rough_Rock

Hello all,

I am thinking of purchasing this diamond for my wife''s 40th b-day to upgrade her ring... What do you think? Its just within my budget... $12k

Shape: Round
Carat weight: 1.50
Cut: Premium
Color: D
Clarity: SI1
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 59.7%
Table: 59%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Faint
Measurements: 7.4*7.44*4.43

Crown Angle: 33.0°
Crown %: 13.50
Pavillion Angle: 40.8°
Pavillion %: 43.00

Cut adviser score=1.1

GIA cert chymystry1.jpeg

chymystry

Rough_Rock
Idealscope

Idealscope chymystry1.jpg

DBM

Shiny_Rock
I like that the SIs are on the side and i like D colors

chymystry

Rough_Rock
Do you think the faint fluor. is a problem?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Chymystry, welcome to the forum.

No, faint fluorescent shouldn''t be a problem. See tutorial: fluorescence. AGS, for instance, doesn''t differentiate "none" and "faint" fluorescence but uses "negligible" term instead.

diamondpug

Rough_Rock
despite the nice HCA score, were you expecting GIA cut grade VG as listed in the cert?

also, ask the vendor where the feather is located. if it is near the girdle, it could be an issue when mounting the diamond (i.e. applying pressure.

Pugsy

chymystry

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 9:32:25 PM
Author: diamondpug
despite the nice HCA score, were you expecting GIA cut grade VG as listed in the cert?

also, ask the vendor where the feather is located. if it is near the girdle, it could be an issue when mounting the diamond (i.e. applying pressure.

Pugsy

I will ask about the girdle. Isn''t the hca score ok? Is the cut not very good? I don''t understand, it says vg on the cert....

diamondpug

Rough_Rock
you''re right -- "premium" means "very good" cut.

the HCA score is quite good, but the idealscope pic you have is a better indicator of optical brilliance. Anyone here who can give an opinion on this scope pic?

ask about the location of the feather; i couldn''t see it on the cert.

also, what does that comment, about "brillianteering" mean? you might ask about that or maybe some expert here can advise. i''ve never seen that comment before.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiamondPug, welcome to Pricescope
35.gif

Regarding brillianteering, if you are in the mood for lots of reading, try this thread and the one linked from it - this should explain things for you. Especially read John's comments.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/girdle-question.41737/=

Chymystry, welcome also!

This diamond might be a good performer, the proportions could be tighter but this is my preference, but it might look very nice. It isn't a Superideal cut, but could be classified as a 'nice make' cutwise. It depends whether you want the creme de la creme of Superideal cuts, or a nice make which happens to be a D and which looks to be a clean SI. You can get size and the D for your budget, this might be a good one to shoot for. Feathers aren't always a problem, check with the vendor. Is it with an online vendor?

chymystry

Rough_Rock
So does "cut grade is based on the brilianteering of the half facets" mean that the cut was upgraded, or downgraded?

Did it go up to VG from G? or down from Ideal down to VG?

I am buying this from James Allen.

I like the color and it is very clean for a SI1. Its in my budget, but if the cut is bad because it was fiddled with, I don''t want to waste my money....

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
the crown is a bit underwhelmnig for my taste but that doesn''t mean it isn''t lovely - Id wait for someone else to chime in... have you done the hca?

chymystry

Rough_Rock
HCA=1.1

But is the score messed up due to painting?

chymystry

Rough_Rock
Would this be a better choice for $1000 more???

Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1 - Excellent
within TIC range

Shape: Round
Carat weight: 1.54
Cut: Ideal
Color: D
Clarity: SI1
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 61.4%
Table: 56%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Faint
Measurements: 7.42*7.46*4.57

GIA cert chymystry2.jpeg

avlis

Shiny_Rock
i am surprised that this stone is GIA graded, most modified girdles i have seen are AGS graded, since they make no such comments about it

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2006 1:02:58 PM
Author: chymystry
HCA=1.1

But is the score messed up due to painting?
I don''t know much about painting but I''m pretty sure the HCA cannot tell if the stone is painted - it''s just based on crown pav angles and depth/table.

The crown angle is 33 here which might turn out a handsome stone, but as a personal thing I''d rather have it closer to 35 with a crown height over 16%.... personal preference lol the lower crown angle probably has more spread?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results