shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jvsaun

Rough_Rock
H, VS2, GIA cert, 1.03C scores .6 on the HCA (if i remember from 5 beers ago when I did it). I saw it today and it looked great. I''m planning on having it mounted in a Christopher designs halo mount with prongs and pave down the band.... Here''s a copy of the cert. What is this business about brillianteering may affect the cut?
http://www.picfury.com/t/GIAReport-1.html

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Enter the report # and ct wt here http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/ and you get this info.

Additional Information

Crown Angle: 33°

Crown Height: 14.5 %

Pavilion Angle: 40.6°

Pavilion Depth: 42.5 %

Star length: 50 %

Lower Half: 75 %

Cut Grade: Very Good

Cut grade is based on brillianteering of the half-facets

The bottom comment indicates (in a vague kinda way) the stone has been painted or dug out - you can find info on that in the FAQ forum board here.

I am preparing a long and as simple as I can make it discussion on why I believe shallow diamonds are superior - but most people will tell you taht your stone is too shallow. If it is dug out then the shallowness will be reduced - if it is painted then that would make it even a little too shallow looking for my taste.

The stone should look very firey and bright - it amy sometimes look a bit too dark in the table area - but would have a distinctive bold look.

Attached is what it might look a bit like thru an ideal-scope (look under tools and the tutorial to learn more

shallow dug painted gia vG.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/19/2006 3:12:36 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

I am preparing a long and as simple as I can make it discussion on why I believe shallow diamonds are superior - but most people will tell you that your stone is too shallow.

33.gif

jvsaun

Rough_Rock
Thanks as always for the great info Gary, what would you say is a decent price for this stone? I did like the way it looked in the store (loose) although I''m certainly no expert. Is there an easy way (besides having a professional look at it) to determine whether its painted or dug out? Should I even worry much about it given that its still graded "very good" on cut? I''m guessing (dangerous, I know) that if the painting/digging out were very serious the stone wouldn''t still be cut-graded at Very good. I very well may be wrong though...

Also, on the report (hard to see in this scan of a copy) there is an extra facet at the point of the pavillion at about 4:30 on the report (I couldnt see this in real life even with a loupe but it is marked). Would that have affected the cut rating?

jvsaun

Rough_Rock
well, I went ahead and bought it... I''ll post pics when I get the ring back from setting...I wish I''d had my digital SLR with me at the store, I''d have taken some pics of it loose. wish me luck!

Agent3Civ

Shiny_Rock
Hey Jim, congrats on the purchase and best of luck Will definitely be looking forward to the pics when you post them.

jvsaun

Rough_Rock
Here''s some pics! Picked it up today

image-ring-001.jpg

jvsaun

Rough_Rock
Bonus points if you can identify the wine cork :)

image-ring-002.jpg

jvsaun

Rough_Rock
not so great of pics with my crappy point & shoot..but my DSLR''s lens doesnt like getting this close....

image-ring-003.jpg

jvsaun

Rough_Rock
almost done...

image-ring-004.jpg

jvsaun

Rough_Rock
last one....

What do you guys think?

image-ring-005.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks amazing Jim!!! Great job!! Who did the setting??
30.gif
30.gif
36.gif

jvsaun

Rough_Rock
Thanks!
http://www.christopherdesigns.com/ did the setting.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a beautiful ring - you did a good job!

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
very nice, I love the setting!!

ello

Brilliant_Rock
ohhh la-laaa! It''s really great! The pictures turned out very well...it''s very pretty!

jvsaun

Rough_Rock
I was taking some more pics, and couldnt help but think this one was pretty darned cool. I turned it into a ruby! (with a laser pointer)

Imadeit a Ruby.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe, those laser pens can cause trouble..very nice ring..

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
which champagne?

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous ring! Very nice!

AND

It''s a Robert Mondavi.
31.gif

jvsaun

Rough_Rock
Thanks, close but no cigar on the cork. a hint: the other side of it says "Philippe de Rothschild"

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Opus One.

jvsaun

Rough_Rock
ding! we have a winner... man I wish I had another bottle or 2 of that stuff..

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring
36.gif
Congrats!!!!

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous! You did good!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results