shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this diamond? ($ Price!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flash_e_gt

Rough_Rock
2nd Time I've looked at it, and it seems to be a pretty nice stone for $9K

1.52 Round (EGL)
SI1-H
7.53 x 7.45 x 4.55
Depth: 60.7
Table: 57.0
Crown: 15.0
Pavillion: 43.5
Culet: None
Girdle: Very Thin to Thin Faceted
Polish: Good
Symetery: Good
FL = Faint

This particular stone only has two clear inclusions that I could definately live with. And I am going to follow up w/ the jewler to see if I can increase the # of prongs I set it in (due to the girdle thickness)

1. How important are the polish & Symetry?
2. Can somebody clue me in on what different levels of girdle thickness are? There seems to be alot of differing opinions on how thick a girdle should be and whether or not that makes or breaks (literally) a stone.
sick.gif

Any info would be great, this is my frist real piece of jewelry I'm buying and I want to make a good buy.

-E

flash_e_gt

Rough_Rock
Also,
I just finished reading up on EGL.
Should I ask for them for another cert from a different lab?

2Bmarried

Rough_Rock
I just did a search for similar diamonds and found one at GoodOldGold that was similar. I don't believe they have it in house, so I was not able to view a certificate.

AGS Ideal Cut
1.542 Ct.
H Color
SI2 Clarity
Dimensions 7.53 x 7.55 x 4.57 mm
Depth = 60.6
Table = 55
Crown Angle = 33.9
Pavilion Angle = 40.9
Girdle = 0.7 - 1.2 %
Culet = Pointed
Symmetry = Ideal
Polish = Ideal
Fluorescence = None

Price = $8,920 (with full in-house inspections, write-ups, etc.)
Price = $8,607 (basically drop-shipped to you, but still with full guarantee)

From what I've seen, heard & read, I'd prefer to go with GIA and AGS over the EGL. You'll notice that the one I listed above is SI2 in clarity, not SI1 like the one you are looking at. If EGL is a bit more lenient on their clarity grading than other labs, then the SI2 from AGS may actually be comparable to the EGL SI1. I'd personally recommend staying away from diamonds where you can see the inclusions. I'd go crazy just knowing that I can see them and wondering when my fiancee would spot them some day! And with a diamond of that size, the inclusions may be more easily visible. You may still be able to get away with an eye-clean SI2.

As far as the girdle on this diamond, I believe it is rated as "thin". I had posted a "girdle size" question a while back (where the diamond I was looking at had the same % range as the one I've listed above) & Garry Holloway responded that 6 prongs would be more protective, but insurance is key as well. I'm sure you'd be insuring a diamond of that value, anyway. Opinions will certainly differ on this matter.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi flash,

A few red flags go up as I look at the data.

1. It is from EGL which as most know is a liberal lab when it comes to grading. A lot of people will research to the best of their ability the 4C's and try and hunt down the cheapest H SI1 1.5xct stone they can find. You've probably found it in this stone but that comes with a very good reason 99.9% of the time. It *may* be a liberally graded H SI1 which in fact could be an I SI2 were it graded by GIA or AGS.

2. 2nd red flag is that girdle thickness. I would not waste any time or expense sending it to another lab only to later find out that this girdle is very succeptible to chipping. At times a "very thin" can be ok but only if it's limited to a tiny area on the diamond which perhaps can be protected with a prong. If the "very thin" portion extends to major areas around the girdle then you may not want to take any chances.

In answer to your questions.

Polish & symmetry are important to determining the value of the diamond. Polish ultimately affects external luster and symmetry, facet alignment. I will admit that proportions & optical symmetry impact the beauty of the diamond more than lab graded polish/symmetry but lab graded polish/symmetry are still high factors when determining overall value.

The best girdle thickness' range from "thin to medium" and "medium to slightly thick". Anything above or below that is generally either too thin or too thick.

The most important criteria you can garner on a very basic level is your proportions. Ie. crown angles, pavilion angles, table size, girdle and culet. With that info you'll be able to get more educated opinions as to what you're considering.

Peace,

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I greatly appreciate the plug 2b. For the record we did sell that diamond virtually as soon as it was released and is in our "educational diamonds" section.

Best regards,

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
This diamond scored 2.3 Vg/Vg/Vg/Vg on the HCA with the comment, "Worth buying if the price is right" using the %'s you provided. The price is in line with other diamonds of similar carat weight, color, and clarity. But, some of those diamonds have Vg polish and symmetry.

You should try and get Sarin/OGI info for the crown and pavillion angles to better assess the quality of the cut. The girdle is a potential problem, as Rhino pointed out. Also, better cut diamonds, and true H&A's, are available thru Price Scope Vendors for just a tad more in asking price.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results