shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this diamond? Newbie open for learning!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
60.3% depth, 57% table, 34.5° crown angle, 40.2° pavilion angle, HCA = 1.

It is a little shallow in the pavilion for that crown angle. Could become dark if you are looking closely at the stone.

lovindiamonds

Shiny_Rock
I keep seeing people discuss HCA, would you be graceous and tell me what that is??

lovindiamonds

Shiny_Rock
So then if HCA =1 for the diamond above than that would be excellent, no?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2009 8:34:45 PM
Author: lovindiamonds
Hi LD!

The HCA is used as a first round elimination tool, all diamonds which score below 2 are considered a pass pending further evaluation, once you have the diamonds which score below 2 you then evaluate with ASET or Idealscope etc. A lower score is not better than a higher one, all diamonds scoring below 2 are considered equal until further evaluation. Also in some cases diamonds which score between 2 and 3 can be worth consideration if they have top symmetry and ASET or Idealscope images are available.

The pavilion angle on this diamond is shallow, you would do better to look for one with a PA between 40.6 - 41 degrees.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also if you are not sure of what to look for, here are some numbers you can use as a guide to find a well cut round diamond.

depth - 60 - 62% - although my personal preference is to allow up to 62.4%
table - 54- 57%
crown angle - 34- 35 degrees
pavilion angle - 40.6- 41 degrees
girdle - avoid extremes, look for thin to slightly thick, thin to medium etc
polish and symmetry - very good and above

note - with crown and pavilion angles at the shallower ends ( CA 34- PA 40.6) and steeper ( CA 35- PA 41) check to make sure these angles complement in that particular diamond - eyeballs, Idealscope, trusted vendor input - check as appropriate!

From expert John Pollard
As the above implies, configurations depend on each other. A little give here can still work with a little take there.

With that said, here''s a "Cliff''s Notes" for staying near Tolkowsky/ideal angles with GIA reports (their numbers are rounded): A crown angle of 34.0, 34.5 or 35.0 is usually safe with a 40.8 pavilion angle. If pavilion angle = 40.6 lean toward a 34.5-35.0 crown. If pavilion angle = 41 lean toward a 34.0-34.5 crown.

GIA "EX" in cut is great at its heart, but it ranges a bit wider than some people prefer, particularly in deep combinations (pavilion > 41 with crown > 35).

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The stone has a cut-grade by GIA: Very Good

The vendor lists the cut-grade as Ideal.

33.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2009 6:51:29 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
The stone has a cut-grade by GIA: Very Good

The vendor lists the cut-grade as Ideal.

33.gif
Absolutely.

It is crucial for consumers to understand that vendor applied labels such as Ideal Cut do not guarantee you a well cut diamond, the only meaningful use of the term Ideal Cut pertains to AGS 0 Ideal Cut grade, terms such as Ideal Cut, Premium Cut etc can be used rather loosely.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 8:34:45 PM
No, as outlined by my fellow posters. Along with the score, look at where the x falls, it''s out in no mans land. Ideally it should fall in the overlap area of the GIA/AGS boxes, or at least in GIA territory/close to.

You can do better.
28.gif

lovindiamonds

Shiny_Rock
What exactly does the pavillion angle do? Sorry for all the questions....

Is it possible to find a 2 ct. stone G-H SI1-SI2 for around 12,000 -13,000 or is that a shot in the dark?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is for a ring stone right?

Probably. Why not go down in color to I/J or just a slightly smaller stone, before the 2 ct weight which results jump in $/c, might be easier while still have about the same face up dimension.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2009 10:47:38 AM
What exactly does the pavillion angle do? Sorry for all the questions....

Is it possible to find a 2 ct. stone G-H SI1-SI2 for around 12,000 -13,000 or is that a shot in the dark?
The pavilion angle is like an engine within the diamond which helps dictate light return along with a harmonizing crown angle preferably. However it is important to view the diamond as a whole rather than one specific part, the overall proportions and finish work together to make the diamond come alive and sparkle.

This explains further

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/crn_pav.asp

I would recommend lowering the colour a bit to GIA or AGS graded I or J to help the budget, also be careful with SI clarities to make sure these diamonds are eyeclean to your standards, you will need to check with a vendor who has the diamond physically in hand.

lovindiamonds

Shiny_Rock
That''s what I''m thinking after reading a ton of info over the last two days.....this is pretty tough! I''m having diamond choosing melt down!
20.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2009 11:23:11 AM
That''s what I''m thinking after reading a ton of info over the last two days.....this is pretty tough! I''m having diamond choosing melt down!
20.gif
No need to overcomplicate things, I know it seems like a lot to take in and it is, but if you work with a vendor who has GIA Excellent and AGS0 hand picked diamonds, then they will be able to advise you and work with you to get you a beautiful rock, so thats the cut stuff taken care of. Also you can always run any diamond you like by the vet PSers who will help as you have done.

lovindiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Well, I''ve contacted Whiteflash and Abazias and they''re both working with me so I''m trusting them!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2009 11:30:13 AM
Well, I''ve contacted Whiteflash and Abazias and they''re both working with me so I''m trusting them!!!
Keep us posted!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results