shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this Diamond for an engagement ring

collinmaune

Rough_Rock
I have been looking and looking and came across this diamond it scored a 1.8 on the HCA. I am looking to spend about 6K on a diamond and would like for it to be above a 1.20 and ideal cut

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. I'll bite the bullet on this.

Not a good diamond. The HCA score doesn't mean you should buy it - nor does it mean the stone isn't ugly. It just means it's worth considering it. So - having considered this one, it would be a hard no from me.

Firstly, it's too deep. You're sacrificing real estate for unnecessary depth. It's outside the parameters of what we normally recommend here and, being soooo deep, it's going to concenrate the warmth of the diamond, making it look more tinted than it needs to be.

The crown angle (36) is also outside what we normally recommend (34.5 - 35, or 35.5 IF the pavilion angle is 40.6), tho this isn't as much of a problem for me, personally.

But it's the lower facets - 85% (or more, since GIA rounds this % in steps of 5. So this could actually be 87% in reality) - give it a needly arrows pattern which more or less obscures the look of the arrows (and the hearts, by association). I find the facet pattern extremely ugly, and once the inclusions are added, there is almost no balanced H&A pattern at all.

Here is a WAY nicer diamond, which is within your budget.

This diamond is nicer in EVERY way. It's 1.21ct J VS2. It will be noticeably whiter than the one you were considering, and it's *much* cleaner. The faceting is far better and its stats are perfect. It will reflect light much better and look bigger as a result. Yes, it's 1.21ct vs 1.4, but as you've found out, for the budget you have, you're not going to get a good diamond of that size for that money.

You've asked the question, so I assume you want genuine answers. For under 6k, the diamond I've linked for you is lovely. The one you're considering is...not. 1.21ct is still a very nice size diamond and solidly above the norm. I'm not sure what size finger your girl has, but I'd strenuously encourage you to bypass the 1.4 stone and go for something more beautiful; if this is an engagement diamond, it really does need to be beautiful.

Good luck!

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
Definitely don’t sacrifice cut for size! If size is a big factor but your budget is firm, I would reconsider an MMD. I also don’t think 1.2 is shabby AT ALL, especially if 1.5 was your target. If mined was my only option, I’d take smaller and more sparkly over larger and less brilliant.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You initially selected a K color stone. Has your girl mentioned anything about color? Most people can start to see body color at I from a 45 degree angle and from the side. That is pretty much the angle the wearer sees the stone. So, is she ok with body color? I don't personally mind, but some are quite unhappy with body color.

If a K works, this is a better choice. Better upgrade policy, great company, great customer service.

collinmaune

Rough_Rock
She can't see color as well as I can so she has seen K stones recently and said they are very white.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She can't see color as well as I can so she has seen K stones recently and said they are very white.

So, are you saying you want a K colored diamond? You'll see tint in a J as well, but not markedly like in a K.

Where did she see a K colored diamond? Was it in a store?

collinmaune

Rough_Rock
She saw it in a local jewelry store, I would like to stay above K but want to get the best stone closest to what she wants for the money, I also don't mind K though if the cut is right on a stone it seems like to my eyes it adds something to the fire and sparkle.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She saw it in a local jewelry store, I would like to stay above K but want to get the best stone closest to what she wants for the money, I also don't mind K though if the cut is right on a stone it seems like to my eyes it adds something to the fire and sparkle.

So is a 1.2ct diamond ok or not? The one I linked to is WAY better than the one you have. The difference in performance will be completely noticeable. It's in your budget. But it's obviously not floating your boat....

So when you say 'over 1.2ct' - do you actually mean "I found a 1.4ct diamond and I want another one just as big but with better performance?" If that's the case, then if we want to help you, we need to go back to the drawing board and look for something different.

As for seeing it in a store, store lighting is specifically made to make stones look whiter and more sparkly than they actually are. What she was seeing that was so white was light return. But take that K out of the store into the real world and you'll see the color the DIAMOND is, and it will look very different to when she's being dazzled by store lighting and amped up light return.

I'm gonna recommend that J VS2 again....

collinmaune

Rough_Rock
So is a 1.2ct diamond ok or not? The one I linked to is WAY better than the one you have. The difference in performance will be completely noticeable. It's in your budget. But it's obviously not floating your boat....

So when you say 'over 1.2ct' - do you actually mean "I found a 1.4ct diamond and I want another one just as big but with better performance?" If that's the case, then if we want to help you, we need to go back to the drawing board and look for something different.

As for seeing it in a store, store lighting is specifically made to make stones look whiter and more sparkly than they actually are. What she was seeing that was so white was light return. But take that K out of the store into the real world and you'll see the color the DIAMOND is, and it will look very different to when she's being dazzled by store lighting and amped up light return.

I'm gonna recommend that J VS2 again....

I do like it I would just like to see a few more to compare, the 1.2 carat looked great I would just like to compare more to see.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
@mrs-b hit the nail on the head. It's really easy to want the 'bigger' stone but if you look at the stats, the 1.4ct stone is only just over 0.2mm bigger in diameter than the 1.2ct stone. I don't think you'll see the difference once set in a ring. You will notice the colour and performance difference though.
You might be able to find a 1.4 that is visibly bigger looking but it needs to be cut better (not as deep).

cb36

Rough_Rock

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
Hi Collin! Id
Just like to point you in the direction of this spectacular diamond. It’s being sold by Mrs B who has an excellent eye for picking beautiful stones. It’s 1.4 carats and bang on your budget! I was buying it but the sale of my own diamond fell through and I’ve decided to keep it. Your fiancée would be absolutely thrilled to receive this!
good luck!

I second this! Mrs. B has amazing taste and quite a few PSers have purchased from her and been so happy!!! This is a steal and is basically ideal for what you’re looking for.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to say - it's a perfect match. I'm not allowed to suggest my own things here, and I had thought my diamond was sold, so it was irrelevant anyway. As it turns out, the sale fell through about half an hour ago, so it isn't sold and it's bang on the knocker for what the OP is looking for.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@collinmaune I also encourage you to take a look at the stone that @mrs-b has for sale. She is a longtime PS member who chooses beautiful diamonds and takes excellent care of her pieces - if you're open to buying a diamond on the secondary market this is an opportunity to save a pretty penny on a remarkable stone.

1. The preloved stone is listed at $6000, which is tops out right at your budget threshold. It originally cost mrs-b $7127, and retail diamond prices have risen since she purchased it - it would cost even more now.
Original Blue Nile listing:

2. It is, objectively, a superior stone with superior optics (which will result in more contrast, more glitterly sparkle, and more coloured light return - "fire" - across a variety of lighting environments) than both the stone you were originally considering and any other stone available for $6k retail. Proportions are right in the middle of all recommended ranges, and the BN video is lovely. Comparisons:

In-budget, but poorly cut:
$6k pre-tax and one colour grade lower (J)

As low as it's possible to go on price in this size range without compromising on either eyeclean face-up or optics (quantity and quality of light return):
$6.5k pre-tax, one colour grade lower (J), one grade lower on Symmetry, but reasonably cut

If you're interested you can reach out to her via her LT listing -

I recommend making a sale contingent on having an independent appraiser verify that the stone is still in the condition represented by the report. You can do that by asking - in writing - to be able to return the stone should the appraisal come back with issues. You choose the appraiser and you pay for the appraisal (budget ~$100) - that way you know that he or she is working for your interests and your interests only. You want an independent appraiser for this, not someone affiliated with a jewellery store - people with an interest in selling you something will of course denounce anything that gets in the way of a potential sale ::) There's a list of appraisers under the Resources tab at the top of the forum page, or if you post your location PSers will be able to advise.

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In addition to the already very sound advice you've been given I might add that color is a RANGE meaning their can be variance between two stones graded the same K color for example.

One might appear closer to a J, where another might appear closer to an L. Other times a stone may be in the middle and a solid K. Of course a grading report just says K so this is something that has to be examined via video (color differences of monitors & technology make it difficult) or better yet in person in proper lighting.

Finally as you go lower in color the range grows, or becomes wider. For instance, little variance is noticed in D stones but considerably more variance is seen in K stones.

Since your lady is already involved I would suggest going back to a jewelry store and looking at several 1.2 to 1.4 carat stones. All GIA certified and as close to the same cut proportions as reasonably possibly. I'd try to view a few I, J and K stones. Ask to see them in an office space under normal lighting, not their fancy showroom lighting. Use a few sheets of white paper to create a white background and examine all the diamonds from the top, sides and bottom. See what you learn and if both your eyes see any differences. Best yet, do this without any knowledge of which stone is which so it's a blind test.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@collinmaune -

No sign of you here recently so this is probably irrelevant to you - but I just wanted to let you know that the diamond and setting I had for sale went to the person who had originally planned to buy it before you started this thread. So it's no longer for sale.

I hope you find just as good a deal elsewhere but, again, I would strongly advise you against purchasing the stone you were considering. You said you came here for advice on cut etc; well, that diamond is NOT well cut, so I'd be giving that a hard pass.

Wishing you the very best of luck!

FYI @yssie

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If @mrs-b picked it out, I have little doubt you will love the stone. All the Pricescoper’s can attest to her impeccable taste!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I hope you find just as good a deal elsewhere but, again, I would strongly advise you against purchasing the stone you were considering. You said you came here for advice on cut etc; well, that diamond is NOT well cut, so I'd be giving that a hard pass.

FYI @yssie

I noticed some time ago (fairly shortly after the OP posted this) that the diamond in question is no longer available on Blue Nile. Perhaps OP had already bought it :|

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I noticed some time ago (fairly shortly after the OP posted this) that the diamond in question is no longer available on Blue Nile. Perhaps OP had already bought it :|

@monipod -

It was gone by the time he posted, so I'm guessing he did what a lot of people new to this site do; bought a diamond, then asked for help retrospectively, knowing with BN that they can return the diamond if they don't like it.

People are so often dazzled by the first stone they see. Comparison would have shown this gentleman a lot. I think that's the strength of PriceScope - you have a wealth of experience here and can tap into many, many people who have seen the comparisons and done the hard work for you. But that requires a poster trusting the knowledge and opinion of experienced posters, and that's a big ask with something so important. So I 'get' the difficulty with that.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
@monipod -

It was gone by the time he posted, so I'm guessing he did what a lot of people new to this site do; bought a diamond, then asked for help retrospectively, knowing with BN that they can return the diamond if they don't like it.

People are so often dazzled by the first stone they see. Comparison would have shown this gentleman a lot...

I felt he was hung up on size... I hope he does have a good think and consider the other options. I do know what it's like to find something you like and not wanting opinions to sway your decision. I definitely think PS is a wealth of info now, but as a newbie I had no idea how experienced a lot of people here are with diamonds. I look forward to buying a high performance diamond with the help of PS next year :D

collinmaune

Rough_Rock
No I didn't purchase the Diamond above I still haven't purchased yet.

collinmaune

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the Kind words and giving me as much info as possible I can go over 6K on my budget and would like to find something just as nice at the 1.21 stone Mrs B recommended but possibly a little larger, I would like to buy from Blue Nile within the next day or 2.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one has no photo, but ask for one. Gut feeling this is going to be a cracker:

Inclusions are well off to one side, HCA is 1.7...I think it might be wonderful. No photo, so this is taken on the stats alone. But I'm guessing this might be very nice.

@collinmaune, can you pls tell us your absolute top budget? We're not trying to stretch your finances, but it's always frustrating when people come on, say "My budget is X" - then, when 'X' yields nothing, say "Actually, I can go a little higher..."

For the sake of all our time, and to get you what you ACTUALLY want, can you pls tell us your highest budget? Our job is to find you what you want, as cheaply as possible. But when you say you want a 1.2ct + and your budget is 6k, and then come back and say you want larger than 1.2ct and your budget is actually higher, it leaves us chasing our tails.

So - larger than 1.2. How much larger?

collinmaune

Rough_Rock
I would like between a 1.25 -1.35 and my top budget is 6750 or below. i know there isn't much between the 1.21 and 1.25 so I figured if I could throw a little more money and give closer to 1.30 along with the excellent qualities of the 1.21 you showed me I would be thrilled. I know sometimes this is not realistic though. Also I am open to more then Round, she has pinned Round Princess and Cushion cut on her Pintrest page.

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would like between a 1.25 -1.35 and my top budget is 6750 or below. i know there isn't much between the 1.21 and 1.25 so I figured if I could throw a little more money and give closer to 1.30 along with the excellent qualities of the 1.21 you showed me I would be thrilled. I know sometimes this is not realistic though. Also I am open to more then Round, she has pinned Round Princess and Cushion cut on her Pintrest page.

@collinmaune - look at the stone I posted above. It's 1.4 and only $150 above your budget. There is very little at all in your range, so this was a pretty lucky find.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@collinmaune - look at the stone I posted above. It's 1.4 and only $150 above your budget. There is very little at all in your range, so this was a pretty lucky find.

This does look promising. You should be able to put it on hold and request a photo and video from BN.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're very welcome!

collinmaune

Rough_Rock
Here is the 360 view I’m asking for other images.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results