shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I know this chrome tourmaline isn''t the ideal, deeply saturated, darker green color, but I like it.  What concerns me is the cut.  I like that it''s unusual, but it looks a  little windowed.

b_ych116aj.jpg

Reference #
: YCH116aj

Color Description
: light green
Clarity
: Eye clean
Image Light Source
: Cool Daylight
Shape
: Fancy
Cut
: Step Cut
Length (MM)
: 9.50
Width (MM)
: 7.60
Depth (MM)
: 4.10
Weight (CTS)
: 1.72
Enhancement
:  (N) None
Origin
: East Africa

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
53% deep step cut tourmaline should have a window...

The shape surely looks nice
4.gif

sp527.jpg

ga325.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like they used a dark background to hide a largish window.
Ask for a picture with a light colored background behind the stone.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
velouriaL,
54% depth in any colored stone is generally too shallow to avoid windowing when looking at the stone perpendicular to the table. Triangular cuts are kind of strange since there are no surfaces in them where light can bounce directly off of two opposing pavilion facets and so they can be cut a bit shallow, but if you are concerned about windowing I would look for a stone that has a depth percentage of at least 65%. The balance between the crown angles and the pavilion angles is pretty important, so it''s always good to get a side view of the stone so that you can be sure that the crown isn''t too shallow either. The best thing is to actually get the stone and view it under different lighting conditions. Always make sure that you have an adequate window of time to return the stone if you aren''t happy with it.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, all, for your responses! I was under the impression that "at least 50%" was best for colored stones. Good to know otherwise!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results