shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Do you think that the open culet(even though it is part of the facet pattern) will be distracting IRL???

The lavender-pink spinel is eye clean, please ignore the tweezer reflection and fingerprint/dust.

pink spinel snowflake cut.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the overall size of the stone. If the stone is fairly large, you will see the open culet. I love it in diamonds but in gemstones, it is all about colour so having a spot where there is no colour would bother me. The muddy pink colour doesn't help much either, even when the stone is flooded with light, as shown in the picture.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 8:52:02 AM
Author: Chrono
It depends on the overall size of the stone. If the stone is fairly large, you will see the open culet. I love it in diamonds but in gemstones, it is all about colour so having a spot where there is no colour would bother me.
The stone is only 7.7mm, so not too large. I too love an open culet in diamonds, but am wondering if I won't in a gemstone!

I actually really like the lavender-pink color of the stone and am told that it is not muddy at all IRL-maybe I will ask for more photos!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on the type of setting, I bet that window would go away. I think open cutlets can be charming on certain cuts, like the one posted above, and of course they're fantastic on old cut diamonds. JMO though. I have an open cutlet on my spessartite garnet, and it goes away in it's setting.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
These are the only pics I was sent...

pink spinel snowflake cut2.JPG

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 9:00:48 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Depending on the type of setting, I bet that window would go away. I think open cutlets can be charming on certain cuts, like the one posted above, and of course they''re fantastic on old cut diamonds. JMO though. I have an open cutlet on my spessartite garnet, and it goes away in it''s setting.
I also wondered if it wouldn''t be too noticable once set!?!?!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2009 9:02:49 AM
Author: stepcutnut

Date: 5/27/2009 9:00:48 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Depending on the type of setting, I bet that window would go away. I think open cutlets can be charming on certain cuts, like the one posted above, and of course they''re fantastic on old cut diamonds. JMO though. I have an open cutlet on my spessartite garnet, and it goes away in it''s setting.
I also wondered if it wouldn''t be too noticable once set!?!?!
I don''t think anyone would notice it once it''s set and on your finger.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A good quick test is to have the vendor provide a picture of the stone in between his fingers on the back of the hand.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I was told VERY sternly that it isn't a window by the cutter, it is part of the facet pattern---LOL, he got a little upset about it when I asked him about the open culet!

Do you think that any certain style setting would make the open culet disappear???

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 9:09:28 AM
A good quick test is to have the vendor provide a picture of the stone in between his fingers on the back of the hand.
That''s a great suggestion!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2009 9:09:29 AM
I was told VERY sternly that it isn''t a window by the cutter, it is part of the facet pattern---LOL, he got a little upset about it when I asked him about it!

Do you think that any certain style setting would make the open culet disappear???
9.gif
I certainly would not consider it a window. It looks to be too deliberately cut.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 9:11:05 AM
Date: 5/27/2009 9:09:29 AM

I was told VERY sternly that it isn''t a window by the cutter, it is part of the facet pattern---LOL, he got a little upset about it when I asked him about it!

9.gif
I certainly would not consider it a window. It looks to be too deliberately cut.
I thought so too :)

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
Were you planning to set it? If so, which metal?

Presumably the metal colour would show through, instead of white - so the question is could you really deal with a pretty lavender-pink stone had some strange golden or silver colours in the middle.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 9:19:51 AM
Author: Magenta
Were you planning to set it? If so, which metal?

Presumably the metal colour would show through, instead of white - so the question is could you really deal with a pretty lavender-pink stone had some strange golden or silver colours in the middle.
It is funny, because I usually plan on how to set a stone before I buy it and rarely does that change when I see the stone IRL...but a stone like this seems that it would be really good to see it in person, before I would fathom how to set it. That being said, just thinking about setting it now-I am feeling a rose gold bezel to show off the lovely outline(if the stone is nice and lively) with a white gold shank. So metal showing through would not be an issue!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it''s in a ring then it would be your skin color showing thru, not the metal color. So really you need a back of the hand shot to decide.

I personally think the cut is really cool though. And I do like open culets in diamonds.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Well I decided to give her a try, should be here soon :)!!!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am rather late to the party, but I like the open cutlet design on that stone.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 6:42:25 PM

Exciting! It is a really interesting stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A week''s time" I''d love to see your pictures of it. It looks to be a very interesting stone.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i missed this earlier, but do you have it? love the cut really.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good it should be an interesting stone IRL. I look forward to reading your opinions on it.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Not here yet, but hopefully soon :) I am excited to see it, I''ve been on such a pink stone kick lately!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Well it just arrived-pics to follow this afternoon :) It is a really lovely shade of pale lavender pink, don't really even notice the open culet, and the faceting is really interesting! More big flashes than sparkle, doesn't go muddy in any lighting and the octagon shape is really fun :) Really gorgeous color outside-I think that is my favorite lighting for it!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Pretty and Pink :)

snowflake pink spinel.JPG

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
With friends!
Barry's Burmese pink spinel
Jeff's Malaya garnet

snowflake pink spinel and friends.JPG

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Sorry no sunshine to show the lavender side of her
7.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that open culet closed right up on your hand.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results