shape
carat
color
clarity

what do you think of this blue sapphire cut by gene?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
i am new to the colored stone buying scene and i was wondering if i could get your opinion on this sapphire.
http://www.precisiongem.com/html/html/Sapphire.html

i looked through his grading reference and it seems to be ok, but i thought i would check with all of you.

thank you in advance.
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it depends on your pricepoint and what kind of color you''re expecting. Sapphires can run the gamut of colors and pricepoints.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
oops, i forgot to mention, it is Gem 854. i am looking for a medium colored blue and don''t want to spend more than $250.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's probably a darker blue, but you can't beat it for cutting, and it's unheated. For $250, it's going to be difficult to get a medium blue in a vibrant color. I like the violet/blue emerald shape he has lower down on that page. It is lighter, and although more money, I like the color better. However, for $250, that Songea sapphire is a good value.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Denim is a good way to describe the color. I agree you can''t beat it for the price even if it''s not the "ideal" blue. It is very well cut and will look nice set.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
thank you for your input, tourmaline lover.
1.gif

i have a friend who works in the jewelry district, so i know i can probably find a good quality stone within my price range, but there is something enticing about buying a stone from a reputable cutter. there is a wider variety of shapes, cuts and creativity available.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope your friend in the diamond district can get an unheated sapphire, and also make sure it's not beryllium diffused. For that money, I think you might get a diffused sapphire in a medium blue vibrant color. You have to be sooo incredibly careful with sapphires these days, and even the best jewelers get duped.

You'll never find one with better cutting, that's for sure.

The nice thing about buying it from a faceter is that you know the stone was probably not messed with (diffused) because for that pricepoint, you're likely to get a diffused one, and it's not worth it to get it tested due to the low pricepoint.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
wow, that''s a lot to think about
33.gif

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
thank you again for all your help. i''ll make sure to do my research prior to purchasing.
1.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I also like that blue violet one.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
i agree the blue violet one is a beautiful stone, but i have this strange aversion to purple stones, it''s weird, i know
7.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
It''s not that weird. I studied design in University. I remember when we did color theory the teacher mentioned that purple was one of those love it or hate it colors. I love it myself.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2009 6:16:57 PM
Author: innerkitten
Denim is a good way to describe the color. I agree you can''t beat it for the price even if it''s not the ''ideal'' blue. It is very well cut and will look nice set.
Ditto! It''s definitely not the prettiest blue ever, but I think it''s a nice stone, especially at that price!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2009 6:31:13 PM
Author: ficklefaye
i agree the blue violet one is a beautiful stone, but i have this strange aversion to purple stones, it''s weird, i know
7.gif
I only like purples with a strong secondary blue modifier. I don''t like purples with a red modifier. That''s probably why I''m attracted to Gene''s violet sapphire.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
so did you get it? I noticed it is sold.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
it wasn''t me
7.gif
i was having second thoughts and just logged on now and saw that it was sold, i hope a ps''er bought it so i can see more photos
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Medium blue for $250 is going to be very difficult. Definitely heat treated might get you a decent stone. Do keep an eye out for synthetics and BE diffusion sapphires too.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
I personally have bought from Gene, and he is absolutely wonderful to work with! You should call him and ask if he has anymore of the same material to cut or if anything is coming out soon. The other thing I can tell you are his stones look exactly like they do on his site. If you noticed the comparisons on the other thread and some vendors'' pictures look nothing like the stone in person; this is not the case with Gene''s stones! Good luck and keep us updated!

Icce

Shiny_Rock
I bought it. Since I saw it posted I was wondering and emailing Gene. I really loved the cut but wasn''t sure about the colour and after sitting on the button awhile I pushed it. It isn''t ideal blue but I wanted a new cut that I did not have yet. Hope it is not black dark in indoor light...it should be ok. Sorry to the original poster, I did not know other were looking to buy this as I came here after I bought it to post and I was like oops.

take care
icce

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2009 10:01:55 AM
Author: Icce
I bought it. Since I saw it posted I was wondering and emailing Gene. I really loved the cut but wasn''t sure about the colour and after sitting on the button awhile I pushed it. It isn''t ideal blue but I wanted a new cut that I did not have yet. Hope it is not black dark in indoor light...it should be ok. Sorry to the original poster, I did not know other were looking to buy this as I came here after I bought it to post and I was like oops.

take care

icce

no worries, icce. i''m excited to see photos when you receive it.
1.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2009 10:01:55 AM
Author: Icce

take care
icce
Icce,
Did you get the sapphire yet? What do you think? Have any photos?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results