shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this blue sapphire (and side diamonds)?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

Here is a ring I''m considering. I''ve never bought a sapphire before and want some opinions on the quality of the stone. I know you cannot tell everything from these pics.

I am more of a diamond lover - how do the side diamonds look? They seem fairly white and clear to me.

The sapphire is advertised to be natural (not synthetic) though I''m guessing it may be heat-treated. It''s supposedly 3.0 ct, ~8.7 mm and "eye cleanish". The diamonds are not graded, but are said to be ~.55 ct each.

I am open to any and all feedback on this piece.

Thanks!

Anne

anne_sapp_ring_top.JPG

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another pic

What are those white dots I see on/in the sapp?

A.

anne_sapp_ring_front.JPG

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
In that first pic especially it looks like there''s a very strong light source behind/underneath the stone. I''d worry that the sapphire will be a lot darker than what''s shown.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
Personnally, blue sapphires are one stone I won''t buy based on pics alone. They are usually WAY off. If you do buy based on pics, make sure there is an iron clad return policy. That pic looks like it is really lit up from behind making its color look nicer than it probably is.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi anne h. What I'm not seeing in these pictures are brilliance and scintillation. The sapphire looks kinda opaque, not too sparkly. The color may be nice, but it's hard to tell.

Is the vendor reputable? This is KEY in the sapphire industry because of the treatments out there, like diffusion. Personally, I will only buy sapphires that have been certified, for example by AGTA. A vendor should be willing to send the stone to AGTA or a similar lab for you if it doesn't have a cert already.

What does you gut tell you about the diamonds? Isn't it a little odd to not have color & clarity info?

Check this one out from Facets/Signed Pieces: 2.84 ct Sapphire, 1.50 ct Diamonds. It's a little pricey, but maybe they will cut you a deal if you buy the tennis bracelet too!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
The pictures look pretty colourwise - and that worries me, especially with the distinct lack of info on the stones provided. The stone doesn't appear to have much sparkle or any 'crystal'. There is no depth to it.

If I was thinking of buying a 3ct sapphire I would want to handle a lot of stones in person - or get someone whose opinion I trust to look at them.

A lot of people think you can get amazing bargains on gemstones. I think you can do well or you can buy at the right time in the market, but if it seems like an amazing deal it probably isn't.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
I think everyone is right, there is some trick photograhy going on in this picture. Also the stone lacks any kind of cluster, it looks as though it might be very included??

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much, everyone! Sounds like I need to do a lot more research before jumping into sapphires.

BTW, the vendor *does* have a return policy (I should have mentioned that upfront).

Anne

PS - Starry_eyed: You''ve replied to many of my recent posts/questions. Thank you for your help... :)

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
Have you visited http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/

I just bought a pink sapphire from them. I studied their website every free moment I had! (I''m still visiting it ''cause I''m now addicted to sapphires) They have a great education area on their website and plenty of sapphires of all colors that you can view on video clips and compare colors, and clarity and cuts . . .

I learned a lot, and I''m really happy with the sapphire I found.
4.gif

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That pictures strongly suggests a semi-transparent stone, not so saturated, not worth a lot.

I would suggest you to ask for a pic of the ring worn on a finger (of a white non tanned person for you can see if colors are enhanced), near to a window (no artificial light) and without direct sun. If the sellers agrees to do so you will be able to judge better.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great ideas, everyone. Thank you! I''ve checked some of the other websites suggested.

Here''s another ring I found from a vendor I''ve purchased from before (and trust). (The first ring in this post was from a vendor I never dealt with before.)

The attached ring (platinum) is:

"set with a cushion cut Ceylon sapphire in the center flanked by 2 oval cut diamonds on the sides. The approximate weight of the sapphire is 1.89ct and approximate weight of the diamonds is 0.60ct. The color of the diamonds is E and the clarity is VS1."

I noticed they didn''t mention whether or not the sapp was natural and/or heat treated, etc. BTW, I think I don''t mind heat treatments, but I''m *not* open to any other treatments.

So, any thoughts on this one? I''m wondering what the dark navy blueish patch is all about near the top center of the sapphire. It does appear in another side photo also (which I didn''t attach).

I''m an antique jewelry lover and my first choice is to find an existing vintage/antique ring (vs buying a loose sapp and setting it). This one is sort of different in that it has oval sidestones, which I never thought I''d consider, but they''re sort of growing on me... (although they do seem a bit narrow I think).

Thanks as always everyone. :)

Anne
(sapphire newbie and quickly becoming addicted ;-)

anne_sapphire_oval_diamonds.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Looks like there is a small surprise sapphire at the bottom of the shank, which makes me think that this ring is if not brand-new, pretty modern.

If I was buying new stones I would work with an expert.

If I was buying antique I want to see them in person unless they are super cheap. For example I buy pieces on ebay that are victorian etc and I''m paying £15-£25 each. I got a 0.15ct diamond in a heavy gold setting for £10 last week - it isn''t a great stone, but it''s worth more than $20 and I can probably use it to exchange for having a stone set or similar with a local jeweller. I''m happy to risk at those prices. I won''t pay much more than those prices for something I haven''t check out in person.

Also - I really enjoy the hunt if it''s a special stone.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pandora - I bet you''re right! Thanks. I should have looked closer. Upon re-read, the listing didn''t mention it was period, which they normally would if it were. So it''s very likely modern, as you suggested. Which is still fine with me. For some reason, I want prefab for the sapp ring... I am too daunted by the task of searching for the perfect stone, the perfect setting, etc, separately. I did that not too long ago for my e-ring and it was killer!!

Any other ideas/suggestions are welcome. :)

Anne

riogems

Shiny_Rock
Unless you can have an expert verify that something is actually antique, you have to assume it is "antique style." I''m not sure there is anything antique style about that ring though either. Also, if they don''t mention that the sapphire is unheated, then you must assume it is heated -- ~99% of sapphires are heated. Also, the ring up top with the round sapphire does not look fully transparent. The intense light source is actually coming from the top and the side, as you can see in the reflection of the facets of the diamonds.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
Gem stone you need to see in person. www.wildfishgems.com has an article on different lighting with sapphires.

I''m not so pure about this one, the color is really varied through the whole stone. I like the color of the pervious one you posted, but it lacks luster. You will find that you''ll drive yourself crazy trying to find the perfect color, luster, cut. A lot of stone have pretty nice color and then you look a second time around and notice they are cut lopp-sided and it ruins it. Well, at least for me, don''t know if you are as picky

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results