shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of these spinels?

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I'm looking for a small, round, mahenge. Between 5.2-5.5mm for a specific setting. Here's a couple I've found, with vastly different prices:

http://www.ajsgem.com/gemstones/spinel/spinel-0.8-carats.html-1

and almost the exact same size:

http://gemfix.com/gems/spinel-362-round-modified-mixed-cut-80cts

What do you think about these two? I want something really eye-catching and bright since its going to be a small stone. I would like some richness and depth as well. Will be set in rose gold with paraiba...thoughts? I feel very new at gauging stones from pictures.

tourma-guy

Shiny_Rock
If you want something that will be eye catching you'll either want to get something precision cut or something with very saturated, vivid color (or both). The gemfix stone will likely be a lighter pink (in terms of mahenge color) but the cut looks great and should sparkle. Its hard to tell what the AJS stone will look like in person from the picture. Maybe someone with experience buying from them will chime in about how their pictures compare to the stones in person.

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yes, I've heard concerns about both vendors pics, so maybe someone can provide some experience with how accurate they are?

AJS Gems and Gemfix.

Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vendors try their best to get as accurate pictures as possible although not always successful. Expect both stones to be less saturated in hand. If I am not mistaken, there is an inherent risk in the return shipping method to AJS because they no longer have a US office, so you have to mail it back to their Thailand office. The cutting of the GemFix stone looks really pretty though, and that probably factors into the higher pricing.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with some of the other posters who say the GemFix while beautifully cut will not be vivid, and that the AJS stone has the potential to be a saturated glow-y pink though returns could be problematic.

In case it is helpful to you, below is the AJS pic of a Mahenge Spinel I bought some years back - I forget the carat weight but it is a 7.5mm trillion. And I put a photo of the finished ring so you can see how the stone looked set. To my eyes, IRL this Spinel was a saturated vivid pink with some neon characteristics - as it turned out, I could not get over my aversion to trillions so I sold the stone/ring a year or two ago.

1%20mahenge.jpg

mmpinkspinelringf15.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW, I also bought this GemFix Mahenge Spinel oval a few years ago - here's the vendor pic and a pic of it plopped onto a semi-mount - to my eyes, IRL this Spinel was less saturated than depicted in the vendor photo, though still a lovely stone. [I sold this one too]

gemfix_-_spinel_292_a.jpg

dsc01930_-_b.jpg

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Marymm - wow, thank you! Your photos and descriptions are very helpful. This was exactly what I needed! :dance:

Chrono - that's good advice, and I see from Marymm's photos what you mean about less saturated. I wish they would include handshots with all listings, we always want them, why not save everyone the time and trouble and post them to begin with!!! :roll:

AJS seems to have lower prices, maybe because they are in Thailand, and not precision cut. However, if returns are difficult, I would probably not want to purchase an expensive stone from them till I got a better sense of the accuracy of their photos. Maybe start with something low priced. I have requested photos from Ron at AJS and he has sent me handshots, but they always seem pretty far away and not quite as clear as I would like. However, I don't want to knock them, they at least respond quickly and do send the photos requested, and are always polite.

I'm expanding my search to larger mahenge spinels...the setting I was planning to use might end up being too small. I have small fingers, ring size 4.5, but still, 5mm is small. With how much mahenge's cost, I want to show it off a bit! :) Here's one at Prima that is just gorgeous from the pics:

Anyone have any idea how this one would look in person?

spinel_16.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Prima does hand shots. My personal experience is that their stones look better in person but also know that most Mahenge spinels will colour shift indoors, some more dramatically than others. If this bothers you, please ask Jaimeen (or any other vendor) about the indoor colouration where most look peachier.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results