shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of these diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Happy New Year everyone! I''ve been looking for a RB H&A cut for over a year now for my future engagement ring. Dear future fiance has said to get serious with the diamond search because he wants to buy me the ring asap. Our budget for the stone is $6-7k. We''re trying to keep the total cost of the ring with the setting at about $8k. I have come to the decision that I would like to maximize the size of my stone and go down in both color and clarity than I had originally planned. I have read numerous threads here at PS saying how beautifully cut diamonds looked whiter than their actual grades. I would love to find a 1.2-1.3 carat RB H&A in a G-H (possibly I color if it is really well cut) and go up to a SI2 clarity if it''s eyeclean. I hope this is possible with my budget. I recently found two diamonds that caught my eye from GOG and Whiteflash, respectively. Here are the links and the diamond specs:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_23ct_h_si1_h%26a.htm

price: $6650 bank wire, $6803 cc
Carat Weight: 1.23ct
Color: H
Clarity: SI1
diameter: 6.98 (6.97-7.0)
total depth: 60.0
crown angle: 34.5
pavillion angle: 40.6
culet: 0.4 very small
table: 56.3
girdle: 1.8 sl. thick
flurescence: inert
Cut External:
Polish: AGS ~ Ideal
Symmetry: AGS ~ Ideal
Proportions: AGS ~ Ideal
Variances: <=.9%/°
Cut Internal
Symmetry ~ Hearts & Arrows
Light Return ~ Excellent
BrillianceScope
White Light Return ~ High
Colored Light Return ~ Very High
Scintillation ~ High

*This one checked out on the HCA as a 0.6 TIC!

The second stone is:
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-517507.htm

1.206 carat A Cut Above H&A Diamond
Price: $7,434.00
Report: AGS
Shape: A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 1.206
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 60.8
Table: 55
Crown Angle: 34.9
Crown %: 15.6
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 43
Girdle: Faceted 1.0% to 1.4%
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 6.91-6.94X4.21

What do you think? Are there any other fabulous diamonds out there that fall within my criteria? Thanks!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
They both look great, and I don't think you can go wrong.

I'd get the 1.23 H SI1 since GOG says it's eye-clean. It's bigger and less expensive. But you really can't go wrong.

Chrisk327

Rough_Rock
I have actually seen the GOG stone you're looking at. Check out the idealscope image... it really looks like that in person. Amazingly little leakage.

GOG says its eyeclean on the site, and to my untrained eye looked good to me. His darkfield illumination brings out all the flaws, which is why you can see them... but put under normal conditions things change

If I had that kind of money to spend I would have bought the stone, it was really nice... but since my price range was really about 1K less MAX i didn't buy it.
I did buy from GOG and was very happy dealing with them. If you're in the NY area its worth it to go there and check things out, its a great experience.

Point of info.... don't know about his internet business, but Rhino's shop is closed until tuesday. So he may not be there to answer your questions till then.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I really like the one posted by Al. Seems to be an exceptional value.
9.gif

I found another very pretty stone, almost a perfect H&A, and extremely clean under the microscope. Not to mention it's quite a lot cheaper.
2.gif
1.28 I/SI 1 It scores 2.1 on the HCA.

Otherwise there's this beautiful 1.210ct H/VS 1 (!) H&A:
1.210 H/VS 1.

Have fun!!!
1.gif

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Al,
What a happy coincidence- just as you posted, I received a PM from Linda herself! Thank you for Linda's email address, I'll be contacting her very shortly. BTW, can you (or anyone else here) recommend a reputable appraiser here in L.A.? I don't have a contact. I'm completely new to this online buying thing and am a little shaky. My boyfriend has given me full reign on this purchase and I want to make sure I pick the right stone and coordinate everything else right. I'm so grateful for this site and all of you kind people. Again, thanks for your input. I'll definately keep you all posted.
2.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Well, I'm not in LA, but can surely reccomend the PGS (Professional Gem Sciences) lab owned by Tom Tashey. He's the inventor of the SI 3 grade and highly reknown within the trade. He could surely help you with a detailed report of appraisal.
1.gif

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Here's the imagescope:

imagescope.jpg

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
I'm getting error messages when I try to upload my other pics: hearts and arrows views, etc. so I'll try again tomorrow. Sorry.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Very nice pics so far, Ice.

The pics might be too big. Check the properties and make sure they fall below the maximum size limit. If they are too big, just resize, keeping proportion, rename them (the PS system might have already recorded the first name and won't allow the same name to be posted more than one time), and try posting again.
1.gif

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Thank you PQ Collectibles. Yes, I did resize the images, but you're right in advising that I rename the files because they were already recorded. I'll do just that.

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
I believe this is a view of an inclusion on a crown facet.

Web 245417MAG1.jpg

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Here's a view of the arrows.

arrows001.jpg

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
A view of the hearts.

hearts002.jpg

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
AGS has to be the toughest clarity grading lab!
confused.gif
I checked the Cert plot and those inclusions pics don't look any where near as big as the plot makes them seem. Keep in mind those pics are magnified and backlit to show the inclusions.
2.gif

Looks like a very clean SI1!
1.gif

Edited to add: Very nice Hearts and Arrows as well!
love.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Very Nice, Ice!
love.gif
Looks totally eye clean from the pic. And you can see the arrows as well. Very nice!
love.gif

The purple color is just too kewl!
love.gif

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! I have Aljdewey to thank for finding this stone for me. This is a wonderful, generous community we have here!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I used Charles Carmona in the LA Jewelery District for my appraisel. He did a great job for me. He wasn't as cut-centric as some from this forum might be, but he was thorough, and helped me have the diamond set through a bench jeweler in the same building, which worked out well. If you want a more extensive, cut centric appraisel, you might want to send the stone to one David Atlas or Rich Sherwood and handle it all remotley, but Charles has some good recommendations if you do a search here.

I was able to have the diamond sent to Charles BEFORE we paid for it so that we had the right to return it without putting any money at risk, or worrying about getting our refund. (This was a number 1 criteria for my husband.) His contact info is below.

Charles Carmona
Guild Labs
Los Angeles
(213) 624-0137

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful stone! I used Chris at David Atlas' place for my appraisal and was pleased (I did it all remotely as well). Once I gave the go-ahead, Chris set the stone and sent it over to me. Don't worry about the H color--it will be fine. I have an H stone set in platinum and it faces up white. My wedding band is F-G stones set in platinum and I don't really see a difference in color between the two. I sent some pictures to Josh and he's going to post them, so you can see what I mean (poor Josh, I sent him WAY too many pictures of mediocre quality--let's just say that I shouldn't quit my day job for a career in photojournalism!)

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful stone! I used Chris at David Atlas' place for my appraisal and was pleased (I did it all remotely as well). Once I gave the go-ahead, Chris set the stone and sent it over to me. Don't worry about the H color--it will be fine. I have an H stone set in platinum and it faces up white. My wedding band is F-G stones set in platinum and I don't really see a difference in color between the two. I sent some pictures to Josh and he's going to post them, so you can see what I mean (poor Josh, I sent him WAY too many pictures of mediocre quality--let's just say that I shouldn't quit my day job for a career in photojournalism!)

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
WOW - that stone is gorgeous. I think it's a GREAT buy! The inclusions are white and wispy, it seems from the pictures, and it does look to be totally eyeclean. (Mine is an SI2---with white, wispy inclusions, and for the life of me, I CANNOT see them.....even when I'm looking for them with the loupe!)

The H&A images are nice too - looks to be great uniformity on the hearts and the arrowheads on the hearts view, and the arrows view is awesome, too.

Simply beautiful!

When I was shopping for my stone a month ago, I worked with Linda also, so I know that she will ship to an appraiser in your area prior to purchase also if that's important to you.

Let us know what the final outcome is.....I'm so excited for you!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow that is one eye-popping IdealScope image and the other images are spot on! The numbers are excellent on this stone, and the price is sweet as well. I have an H colored Regent stone and it faces up WHITE as snow, honestly I can't see a hint of color in it. So I would not hesitate to buy one if I had the opportunity and it fit the budget. Good luck and let us know what you decide!!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Nice stone iceprincess,

Good Price for a excellent looking stone..

The light is green...

9.gif

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Hi SXN,
I sent you a PM. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results