shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of these diamonds? Brilliant Earth

rycbar

Rough_Rock
Joined
Dec 14, 2015
Messages
8
I’m getting a lab-grown diamond from Brilliant Earth. The diamonds I have in mind are in the 900-1k dollar range with IGI certs.

My question is about specific diamonds I want to purchase. I got the picture for 2 and they told me more pictures were coming. Anyways, my options are below. Is the SI2 rating risky? Do the diamonds look bad? Is there something wrong with their cut?

My girlfriend and I don't know much about diamonds so it's not like we're going to be looking under a microscope. I want it to look white with no black inclusions in the middle, i want it to sparkle, I want it to last. Would these do?

1714493Y .56 Carat, Round, Very Good Cut, F, SI2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0xy72nenjmmvrl/1714493Y%20Pic.JPG?dl=0
993.jpg

1746704Y .54 Carat, Round, Ideal, H, SI2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4au76kxoa990hc/1746704Y%20Pic.JPG?dl=0
704.jpg

1714682Y .48 Carat, Round, Very Good, H, VVS2 (no pic yet)

1748890Y .51 Carat, Round, Super Ideal, F, SI2 (no pic yet)
 

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 29, 2014
Messages
4,224
SI2 is very risky yes, but has a nice potential pay off should they be eyeclean. Do you have a link to the lab reports? Photos will not load on my computer :(
 

rycbar

Rough_Rock
Joined
Dec 14, 2015
Messages
8
No report, I wanted to see the pictures since the reports don't have pictures.

I re-did the picture, hopefully they work now.
 

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
10,872
rycbar|1450125572|3961382 said:
I’m getting a lab-grown diamond from Brilliant Earth. The diamonds I have in mind are in the 900-1k dollar range with IGI certs.

My question is about specific diamonds I want to purchase. I got the picture for 2 and they told me more pictures were coming. Anyways, my options are below. Is the SI2 rating risky? Do the diamonds look bad? Is there something wrong with their cut?

My girlfriend and I don't know much about diamonds so it's not like we're going to be looking under a microscope. I want it to look white with no black inclusions in the middle, i want it to sparkle, I want it to last. Would these do?

1714493Y .56 Carat, Round, Very Good Cut, F, SI2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0xy72nenjmmvrl/1714493Y%20Pic.JPG?dl=0
993.jpg

1746704Y .54 Carat, Round, Ideal, H, SI2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4au76kxoa990hc/1746704Y%20Pic.JPG?dl=0
704.jpg

1714682Y .48 Carat, Round, Very Good, H, VVS2 (no pic yet)

1748890Y .51 Carat, Round, Super Ideal, F, SI2 (no pic yet)
IGI? Frankly I would not be willing to accept that report. And judging by the photos, they're looking particularly well cut, though that can be deceiving. I am not really wowwed though by these images. SI2 is really risky on the inclusions being eye-clean, esp on the black crystals. I presume 1K is your budget for the stone.

Is BE/lab grown something you're set on? Or is this just something you thought you could afford based on the budget?
 

rycbar

Rough_Rock
Joined
Dec 14, 2015
Messages
8
Lab-grown diamonds at BE only come with IGI and one other one I've never heard of.

My girlfriend is in love with the setting from there, the diamond can be from anywhere. Her setting is absolutely perfect for her finger so I don't mind paying the 1250 for it, now I want to pay around 1k for the diamond but I can pay more if necessary. I honestly don't think she'd like it if I spent more money, we're saving for a wedding.... Also, I'd like to make it as easy as possible to actually get it in my hand. Multiple vendors is more intimidating than this already is lol

My REQUIREMENTS are the following: Diamond (natural or lab), .50 carat ( from .48-.59), no black inclusions, pretty and shiny (to people who don't know anything about diamonds) with a delicate ring.
 

everstone

Rough_Rock
Joined
Dec 14, 2015
Messages
42
Don't settle for IGI, therefore don't go with Brilliant Earth. Get a GIA triple ex or AGS0. 0.5 carats are a dime a dozen, I'm sure you can find one for ~$1k.
 

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Apr 10, 2015
Messages
563
Do you have a link to the setting she wants?


Both those diamonds appear to have some leakage under the table. They may be eye clean to the casual observer. Cut doesn't look stellar but not terrible either.


You'll probably have to drop to a J color if you want a GIA .45-.5ct that is well cut for around $1k.
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
27,340
rycbar|1450130778|3961429 said:

That's really pretty!

I dont think that AGS000 .5s are a dime a dozen especially for $1k.

James Allen has a version...
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-pave-rope-engagement-ring-item-52625 $920

With
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.56-carat-f-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-750517 $1060 ask if eye-clean
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.52-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-730346 $1070 ask if eye-clean
Here is an AGS000 stone .57 J/SI1 but it is $1190 (not sure if it's in your budget)
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.57-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-621224

I'm sure there are more options...those are just a few.
 

rycbar

Rough_Rock
Joined
Dec 14, 2015
Messages
8
tyty333|1450131833|3961441 said:
rycbar|1450130778|3961429 said:

That's really pretty!

I dont think that AGS000 .5s are a dime a dozen especially for $1k.

James Allen has a version...
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-pave-rope-engagement-ring-item-52625 $920

With
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.56-carat-f-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-750517 $1060 ask if eye-clean
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.52-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-730346 $1070 ask if eye-clean
Here is an AGS000 stone .57 J/SI1 but it is $1190 (not sure if it's in your budget)
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.57-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-621224

I'm sure there are more options...those are just a few.


You're wonderful, thank you! I think I might have to bite the bullet and pay a couple hundred extra for peace of mind.
 

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
10,872
It's worth it! Don't settle for inferior cut.
 

everstone

Rough_Rock
Joined
Dec 14, 2015
Messages
42
I would drop to SI2 before dropping to J.
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
27,340
rycbar|1450132273|3961447 said:
tyty333|1450131833|3961441 said:
rycbar|1450130778|3961429 said:

That's really pretty!

I dont think that AGS000 .5s are a dime a dozen especially for $1k.

James Allen has a version...
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-pave-rope-engagement-ring-item-52625 $920

With
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.56-carat-f-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-750517 $1060 ask if eye-clean
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.52-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-730346 $1070 ask if eye-clean
Here is an AGS000 stone .57 J/SI1 but it is $1190 (not sure if it's in your budget)
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.57-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-621224

I'm sure there are more options...those are just a few.

Oh, your welcome...let us know if you need more help. I'm sure you will end up with a beautiful ring!

You're wonderful, thank you! I think I might have to bite the bullet and pay a couple hundred extra for peace of mind.
 

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 5, 2012
Messages
926
IGI is the standard for lab diamonds because AGS and GIA do not grade them.

Good Old Gold sells lab diamonds which are cut to AGS 000 standards and run through the AGS cut estimator, but the site's not working for me right now--no prices.

IGI has an ideal grade which is pretty strict and not something you need to "settle" for. It is stricter than GIA Excellent. The problem is that the color and clarity grades are unreliable. There's not much you can do about that except talk to the dealer and have an independent appraiser assess your stone before you commit to it.
 
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results
Top