shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of my new black opal...

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:saint:

(Sorry all the pics are stills from a video)

screenshot_2016-04-28-20-53-40.png

screenshot_2016-04-28-20-54-43.png

screenshot_2016-04-28-20-53-53.png

screenshot_2016-04-28-20-53-03.png

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LOVE IT!!

What's the plan with this one TRS? Is it going into a pendant?

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Haha :wavey: jordy

I'm not sure yet.... I was initially thinking a ring (because I want to be able to look down at it all day..) but I'm so scared of damaging it! Then I stumbled upon this pic on Google and I'm thinking hmm... maybe just maybe I might be able to collect 4 other pieces of solid lightening ridge black opal and 1 day end up with something like that :love:

Btw how's the club going? Have you gotten around to getting your hands on some black opal rough from Justin yet?? Can't wait to see some pics of when you start working on that

screenshot_2016-04-28-21-49-28.png

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I don't know... I feel like I would need to inspect it for a while before I decide....better just send it to me! :naughty:

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
It's gorgeous!!!!! I really love that multi-opal pendant design. It definitely gets my vote!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That pendant looks great!! Personally I prefer the look of symmetrical cabs in rings but that's just me, I'm sure if it goes into a ring you'll make me go 'OK here is an exception' :lol:

Truth be told I haven't had a chance to get down since starting the thread, I still have to attack ol pinky! Between moving house, a new job coming, crazy shifts etc I just haven't had the opportunity. However with the new job I'll be getting a leave payout and a nice opal package with that. The plan is to try get rough to do a pair of white and a pair of crystal opals, some extras for practice and a little black nobby. Originally I was going to do the nobby for my little sister in law however a nice little pinky ring for myself with a little black nobby is sounding more and more enticing :naughty:

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful opal! Love the colors on that one...congrats!

sapphiremomma

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That opal is amazing!! Can't wait to see what you do with it!!

nojs

Shiny_Rock
It sure looks good, and it must be even more magnificent in person :) I'm excited too see how you end up setting it :)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very Pretty, it's sort of a myth that opals aren't that durable, they generally are O.K IMHO especially if you put it into a protective setting.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous opal! I really like one of Yvonne's design where she used Hauynes as accent stones, not the whole way around just four or five on side.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
arkieb1|1461909059|4024979 said:
Very Pretty, it's sort of a myth that opals aren't that durable, they generally are O.K IMHO especially if you put it into a protective setting.

The durability thing has been one of my concerns with putting a Black Opal into a pinky ring for myself. It would most likely be worn on nights where I am playing gigs, which is a problem since my playing technique is quite rough on my hands. I'd hate to finish a gig and see scratches and damage all over it :think:

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! Beautiful purchase.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1461879826|4024828 said:
That pendant looks great!! Personally I prefer the look of symmetrical cabs in rings but that's just me, I'm sure if it goes into a ring you'll make me go 'OK here is an exception' :lol:

Truth be told I haven't had a chance to get down since starting the thread, I still have to attack ol pinky! Between moving house, a new job coming, crazy shifts etc I just haven't had the opportunity. However with the new job I'll be getting a leave payout and a nice opal package with that. The plan is to try get rough to do a pair of white and a pair of crystal opals, some extras for practice and a little black nobby. Originally I was going to do the nobby for my little sister in law however a nice little pinky ring for myself with a little black nobby is sounding more and more enticing :naughty:

Me too jordy, i usually need symmetry in all my jewellery! Youve been reslly busy, hopefully you get some time soon to make it down to the club again. Can't wait to see some new pics from you!
Lol about gifting your little sister in law and opting for a pinky ring instead :lol:

Thank you so much for all the comments everyone :D I'm so glad I have others to share my happiness with, that get it. Mochiko... you wish :lol:

I think I might aim for that pendant I posted earlier... gives me a nice long project to day dream (and plan and shop for and obsess) about.....

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is beautiful. I showed your opal picture to my husband because he loves opals. He thinks it is beautiful as well. :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous color and shape. I like!!!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Even my husband who isn't into gems had to pause and pay attention to this one Lisa. When I showed him the video I got actual appreciation from him!

I love the pin fire pattern (I think it's my fav so far) and this opal has b5 brightness (the brightest rating) so it just glimmers and glitters in the video..... :love:

Feeling so impatient for this 1 to arrive.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
B5 is as good as it gets! What's the body tone rating for it if you don't mind me asking?

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No ofcourse not I should have included the specks in my first post! It's b5 with body tone n5. So technically my title is wrong I just realised I called it black opal and it's technically a dark opal! I don't know if I could go lighter then n5 in just the dark opal range... I've noticed they have a slight greyish cast over them? In the photos above my 1 looks to have a slight greyish cast but I think that's because I was taking screen shots from the vid :lol: in the video it doesn't seem to have the cast over it.

It's small aswell at 1.05 carets if I remember correctly. I was primarily after the red colour and a b5 brightness. This having such vivid blue (and slight purples/oranges and greens) and being pin fire pattern, just stole my heart.

So I'm thinking for this pendant, I'm going to include a larger crystal opal with b4 or b5 brightness (don't think I'll go below b4 for consistency in the pendant) - already seen 1 now just have to hope it doesn't sell for the next year :bigsmile: and I also want an n1 in my collection. N1 with b5 would be awesome... but not at the cost of a pretty pattern or colour so let's see what happens.

I kinda feel really happy I've made the resolve to collect a few more opals for a project (and not just aimlessly collect). I know now I've found my fav stone... I loved black opals way before I ever saw 1 and now I have seen 1..my love is affirmed and cemented :lol:

I do still want a whole variety and I love all the other beautiful CS but I think ever since I brought my first black opal I just need to get them out of my system. The opals the first stone I've brought once and still had the thirst to collect more... whereas my other CS, although I want more of the same I've been content with buying different stones first and plan to get 'doubles' once I have a big variety of CS. So this 2nd black opal is my first 2nd stone of 1 variety/family tree.

Gosh I've waffled on.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Waffle away TRS, it's your thread!! :bigsmile:

N5 would make it a semi-black opal according to the body tone and brightness scale that Justin from Black Opal direct has on his website (I have one with me right now that I got when I bought some Cerium Oxide). While the body tone determines it's 'Black' label, I agree with you that the brightness, colors and type of pattern in the colorplay is a lot more important! If I do happen to get a black nobby for a stage performance ring I am hoping it has plenty of vivid green in it so my fingers look like they're radio-active :lol:

And I'm with you on Opal becoming a favourite stone; when I first started with my gem obsession I literally had zero interest in opals. I was obsessed looking up sales and info on Kashmir Sapphires, Russian Alexandrite and even Tanzanite. Fast-forward 18 months and now I've got opal fever!! :saint:

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Welcome to the world of opal fever guys! I've had it for years and it never goes away!
p.s. Your semi black opal is beautiful TRS.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, my! That is beautiful!

My daughter is an October baby. I NEED a pretty opal. Is there a thread I should see to start my journey toward opal ownership???

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you aussie and kae! Ooh I'm trying not to count down the minutes till it gets here :lol: definetly a fill fledged member of the opal fever club. Their just.so.gorgeous!!!

Kae I'd advise doing a forum search on opal (or black opals in particular) and also a quick Google search to just get you up to track on what's what and what to look out for, what the terminology means, what's involved in pricing/whats desired in pricing, what's no etc. Then maybe head to Justin's site black opal direct and have a look at his youtube vids (very educational) then you're good to go!

Most importantly, get what you love (even if its not the trade ideal) trust your own eye re the beauty and you won't go wrong.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can't imagine how anxious you'd be for it to arrive, you're probably like a kid on xmas eve!! Make sure you post pics once it arrives, I can't wait to see your shots of it.

There's been a bit of an Opal resurgence in the CS forum recently, it's been great :bigsmile:

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes I've been loving all the opal threads! Will definetly post pics when it arrives, can't wait!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results