shape
carat
color
clarity

What Do You Think of Kasumi Pearls?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Sarah has a whole pile of new Kasumi pearls, selling in small lots, on her site.

http://shop.kojimapearl.com/collections/loose-pearls

For further reading: http://kojimapearl.com/about-the-pearls/kasumi-pearls

I personally like the wabi-sabi aspect of them, and I'm considering spending some birthday funds on a some. They seem to have some amazing colors and overtones, but they are also the antithesis of what we hold dear in pearls: they are rarely round, the seem mostly lumpen and sometimes the nacre doesn't even fully cover the whatchamacallit (whatever it is that they put inside the oyster).

What do you think? Like, no like, love it, hate it?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I love them, iLander. I'd love to see one in person. I've been eyeing those simple Kasumi pendants that Sarah has on her site. I'm trying to hold off for a while to let the pearl fund replenish. :twirl:

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
I don't care for them. Colors are amazing but I don't like the texture and/or surface. My teen-age daughter said they look like chewed-up gum. There is a guy who posts only a few times in the other forum. He's in Japan, I think. He has some of the most amazing and "smooth" Kasumiga pearls.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I love them even though they look like tumors. I dont like not having unlimited funds.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
personally, i'd rather have some really nice druzy from catherine and/or imperfect south sea pearls.......

MoZo

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
As my dear mother would say, that means there are more for us, iLander! :tongue:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh, i fully realize that one day one of you will buy one of these, post a picture, and i'll love it....happens all the time in the pearl forum: first it was goldens..........the list goes on and i'm sure will be added to!

and your mother was so right, FlyGirl!

MoZo

whitehotblank

Shiny_Rock
I love them even though they look like tumors.

Ha ha! I love the colours of Kasumi pearls but a)they don't tend to be the type of colours, in general, that work for me and b)like HHPMom, the extreme imperfections bother me. I have never seen one irl so maybe I would change my mind upon that, or upon seeing a flawless or near-flawless one (would love to see that).

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
whitehotblank|1293745560|2810226 said:
I love them even though they look like tumors.

Ha ha! I love the colours of Kasumi pearls but a)they don't tend to be the type of colours, in general, that work for me and b)like HHPMom, the extreme imperfections bother me. I have never seen one irl so maybe I would change my mind upon that, or upon seeing a flawless or near-flawless one (would love to see that).
You might like these. http://shop.kojimapearl.com/products/natural-color-kasumi-strand

Sarah says they have more appeal to classic tastes.

p4296rd-450_0_large.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1293734140|2809987 said:
As my dear mother would say, that means there are more for us, iLander! :tongue:

:lol: So true, Fly Girl!

I am developing an affection for the darker ones, like this one:

http://shop.kojimapearl.com/products/loose-japan-kasumi-pearl

Or this one, which is lighter:

http://shop.kojimapearl.com/products/gorgeous-natural-purple-kasumi-pearl

But then again, I like this one too:

http://shop.kojimapearl.com/products/golden-purple-japan-kasumi-baroque-pearl

I also like how rare they are. Did you read the whole "about Kasumi" section, FlyGirl? Amazing story.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I think they're adorable and they often display wonderful play of colours. I don't have tens of thousands for a necklace though, I'd be happy with a single pendant. :halo:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I especially like that one really dark purple one that looks kinda like an extracted molar. I am curious, however, since the description of the "museum strand" says, "The strand has spent the last 8 years under the most careful care, and we were happy to see that the pearls had retained their deep colors and luster." Are they prone to losing their colors and luster??

iLander

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1293771021|2810655 said:
Are they prone to losing their colors and luster??
:shock: :shock:

I don't know. . . good question! I guess I'll ask before I order the molar.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I emailed Sarah (see VapidLapid's question above) and this is what I got as a reply:

"When this strand went into the Museum of Natural History's Pearls Exhibit.. it was maybe the second strand we had ever made. Years passed and we got harvest after harvest and sold pearls... but we never held onto any for that many years. So when it finally emerged from its extended tour we were pleased to see that the pearls looked the same. All pearls can fade with time, and depending on their treatments fresh water pearls can lose some color or luster over time. It is possible, and somewhat likely over time for natural color fresh water pearls to fade, but that it is not just fresh water pearls that this happens to. Part of the joy of pearls is that they are organic gems and as such, they may change over time.
I hope this helps answer the question"

Whaddya think?

Did we know or think that all pearls can fade with time?

News to me. :shock:

BTW she's having a sale, if you want to know more, you need to email her or sign up for newsletter.

I had the discount code up before, but I guess you can't post those (more news to me). I thought the rule was you couldn't receive a discount code from a vendor in exchange for mentioning them on PS. Apparently I'm not reading that right. I am confused. We all seem to be okay with posting sale info, though. . .

Maybe admin will clarify?

Maybe someone will tell me how to ask questions of the admin, since I can't seem to find that? I would have asked when I reported concern about my own thread, but someone had already reported it, so I was blocked.

To contact admin you can hit the "report concern" button on your post. Coupons are not allowed. One way around this is that I tell people to "google pearl points" for pearl paradise. In your case, tell people there is a sale or deal going on and to contact whoever it was.

I do know that pearls change over time, which is one of the reasons I am hesitant to spend thousands on a single strand :D I don't care so much about the color, as I'm more concerned about the luster. I think about this every time I wear my blue akoyas as I love them so soooo much. I don't want them to ever change ;(

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I knew that pearls lustre and tone change over time in response to the wearer's body chemistry. Oils and sweat and perhaps pheremones, anything that comes out of your skin touches the pearls. I Can recall being told that pearl owners should wear their pearls often and that the individual patina one's p[earls develop over time is one of the prized qualities of pearls. but in a closed, dark box I wouldnt expect too much change.
thanks ilander for checking on this.
And you can always just send ella an email; I think its as straightforward as ella @ pricescope.com.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Bean and VL, but no thanks.

I think I'm on thin ice with the admins, so I'll just keep it to myself, and follow your lead, Bean. :bigsmile:

And oh lord, if the person's chemistry changes pearls my new goldens are doomed :shock:

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
ilander I just noticed at Christmas time my first strand of akoyas that I got in 1981 have yellowed some what but not that much. They are 9.5mm natural pale pink akoyas. It took almost 30 years for me to notice a gradual change. I know we are told now to use a damp cloth to clean them after every wear but back then when I got them I was not told that. I have never done that with them either. Luster is still there and they are as beautiful as ever. I probably wore them a minum of 2 times a week for over fifteen years before I started adding to my collection. So enjoy your new pearls because I bet you will be old, very gray needing glasses before you notice a change. :mrgreen:

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
I am so glad you posted this regarding how often you wore this and its condition.

4Ranch Girl|1294202784|2814672 said:
So enjoy your new pearls because I bet you will be old, very gray needing glasses before you notice a change. :mrgreen:
Chuckle.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results