shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of cat cafes?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In Japan you can pay to spend time with cats.
Sounds a tad like a cat house to me.

snip
Japan’s capital city can be a tough place for a cat lovers to live.
Small apartments, long work hours and restrictive housing codes make it difficult for Tokyoians (Tokyoites? Tokyoids?) to keep cats at home.
No wonder then that the city is seeing an increasing number of cat cafes—lounges where the felineless can drink coffee and find some catisfaction.
Tokyo has seven different cat cafes that we know of (and there are probably many more than that).
Here’s a look at our three favorite ... http://travel.spotcoolstuff.com/japan/tokyo/unusual-restaurants/cat-cafes

There is even an article on Wikipedia on them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_cafe

tokyo-calico-cat-cafe-2.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats so funny! I think its a great idea. I dont have a dog but when I'm needing a dog "hit" we go to our local
dog park and play with them. Dog owners are very friendly.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
When I first read this I thought it was completely strange, but I guess if there is no space for anyone to keep pets then it must be quite nice to go for a cup of tea and have a little cuddle. I wonder if the cats like it and if this is taken into consideration?

I think all of the attention would be my cat Claude's idea of heaven.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
How bizarre.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1313440792|2991429 said:
How bizarre.

That is my first thought!!! LOL :lol:

I love dogs and think cats are pretty but I wouldn't find myself at a cat or dog cafe! :D

eta: now that I have twin babies; I can't imagine stopping at a baby cafe either! LOL :naughty: :wink2: :cheeky: LOL, sorry this sleep deprived momma is cracking herself up! :bigsmile: :saint:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll bet they charge extra to spend time with the young ones in the kitten room. :naughty:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lottie UK|1313440023|2991422 said:
When I first read this I thought it was completely strange, but I guess if there is no space for anyone to keep pets then it must be quite nice to go for a cup of tea and have a little cuddle. I wonder if the cats like it and if this is taken into consideration?

I think all of the attention would be my cat Claude's idea of heaven.

Ditto! Two of mine would love it, the other one, not so much! I would totally visit a cat cafe (or an animal shelter) if I couldn't have kitties.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Are the cats provided by the 'house', or is it more like a god park where owners bring their own cats and others can play with them too?

I couldn't open the link in case that was specified.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I assume the house employs the cats.

FWIW, I can open both links.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think they're awesome! I'm also seeing a potential rebranding opportunity for our country's animal shelters--maybe they'd have more visitors (and thus, adoptions) if they reemerged as cat and dog cafes . . .

I'm going to start calling our house a pet cafe. With two dogs and three cats in only 1300 square feet, I think we qualify! I make damn good coffee, too. :bigsmile:

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I would love one of these! I'm allergic to cats and can't keep them in the house - but still love these little furballs :bigsmile:

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I've always thought that hotel rooms should come with a cat.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I love antique stores and bookstores with cats. I'd totally go to one, especially if I'd been travelling and missing my kitties.

One of my kitties once managed to "break in" to the antique store below my condo. He set off the motion detector. The police came to investigate and called me at 4AM and were like... "Did you know your store is infested with an angry orange cat?" No way to have motion detectors *and* cats, it's one or the other... or I'd totally have a store cat!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lulu|1313456534|2991591 said:

I totally agree :praise:

Haven, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your idea! They'd have to set up a separate room, I think, and rotate just a few animals to keep the area hygenic enough for food consumption, and it would involve some money up front, but goodness - what a great way to get people in the door! I'm going to propose it to my local shelter. I'll credit "another cat lady on my pet forum", unless you prefer something different? ::)

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1313454332|2991566 said:
I think they're awesome! I'm also seeing a potential rebranding opportunity for our country's animal shelters--maybe they'd have more visitors (and thus, adoptions) if they reemerged as cat and dog cafes . . .

Ingenious..!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
What a great alternative if having a pet isn't an option! They should do this for dogs too!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
IndyLady|1313469346|2991722 said:
Haven|1313454332|2991566 said:

Ingenious..!

Agreed!

You know, I though this would be really weird but I actually think it's kind of nice. Petting animals is good for people and some times I feel like I need a little furry cuddle.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I love the idea! I can see myself wanting to go and play with the kitties while enjoying a frosty beverage!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's a great idea and it provides a home for some kitties. I'd totally visit one.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I think it's cute, they'd have to be maintained really well thought I'd hate to find fur in my coffee. :knockout:

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I love this idea! It's a win win for petless people and peopleless pets.

We don't have a dog, but I would love to be able to borrow one a few times a week and take it for a walk down the beach for some exercise.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hawaiianorangetree|1313498476|2991824 said:
I love this idea! It's a win win for petless people and peopleless pets.

We don't have a dog, but I would love to be able to borrow one a few times a week and take it for a walk down the beach for some exercise.

I would love this too...something about watching a dog play in the waves just makes you smile.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
This would be a fantastic way to promote rescue pets.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
lulu|1313456534|2991591 said:
lol

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice. I actually think it sounds like a strangely nice idea for cat lovers who can't own one. Then again I'm an animal lover- I can see how others would think it strange.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would so go to a dog cafe!!
Sometimes I just need a doggy fix!

cats not so much I am highly allergic to cat dander and cant be around them.
It has got so bad since I was in the hospital in oct that I cant even go in one of my best friends house because they have a bunch of cats one of which has a skin condition and it is really really bad in there :{

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the idea. I love cats so..I'm always open for a kitty snuggle.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
*sneeze* *sneeze* Pretty sure my throat just closed up and killed me.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1313532933|2992173 said:
I would so go to a dog cafe!!
Sometimes I just need a doggy fix!

cats not so much I am highly allergic to cat dander and cant be around them.
It has got so bad since I was in the hospital in oct that I cant even go in one of my best friends house because they have a bunch of cats one of which has a skin condition and it is really really bad in there :{
Yale Law has a "therapy dog" students can "check out" from the library. I wish my law school did.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
purselover|1313497547|2991820 said:
I think it's cute, they'd have to be maintained really well thought I'd hate to find fur in my coffee. :knockout:

Wait.... Coffee isn't supposed to have fur in it?!? :cheeky:

We have a Mainecoon and a gray cat plus two dogs. The fur flies EVERYWHERE -- even with daily vacuuming, the best filter for the air system, and constant brushing.....

I like the idea of a place to go visit animals. Great for people who aren't able to have them at home and great for animals who need a home and people.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results