shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think about this stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

caseyt

Rough_Rock
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1.07 Princess cut. Can you please tell me what you think on the below specs.......what would be a good price? I can get it for $4000...Good deal?......I am a first time buyer and am scared to death.........

Princess
G
SI1
5.66 - 5.65 X 3.96m
Depth 70.1
Table wideth 75
Crown Height is 9
Pav Depth 59
Polish VG
Sym VG

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, I think you're better off w something like this one for $4K... generally, I like the table a bit smaller but this one from DCD has good crown height (you should aim for >10). Also, generally, it's best to look for princesses w tables smaller than depth.

If you're looking for princess cut guidelines, the AGA cut chart is great, altho seeing it yourself, preferably with an idealscope in hand, is your best bet in finding a terrific princess
1.gif

caseyt

Rough_Rock
thanks for the reply. The diamond you suggest is very nice but I had not planned on buying anything below a G in color

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
Casey,

Why were you only looking for a diamond in the G and higher range? The reason I ask is that if you are operating on a budget, thinking in broader terms of "eye clean" (rather than VS or higher) or "icy white" (rather than F or higher) might allow you to find a lower clarity or lower color diamond that for all intents and purposes, looks the same as one with the specs you want on paper. Realistically, most of your friends won't ask you "what is the color and clarity of your diamond?"--they will notice how beautiful it is. Besides, unless you run in gemologist circles, you could tell everyone that your J was a G and they'd probably believe you...

Additionally, from what I've read on Pricescope, grading can be a very subjective process. The G-colored stone you posted could be a "low G" and the H-colored stone Alexah posted could be a "high H"--making them close to the same color. Plus, the H colored stone was graded by GIA--which could mean another lab would give it a G (you should check out the grading lab study done here if you haven't already). You also should consider that the brilliance of a well cut diamond will make it appear whiter and more aesthically pleasing.

Just my .02

caseyt

Rough_Rock
Excellent advice, thanks. I did look at a H color and when it was placed next to the G, there was a very noticible difference. They put both diamonds in the "paper channel thingy" and the H was definately "yellower". I'd like to think that the jeweler was credible and that she was being honest. The G was listed right at $5000 and she told me I could buy it for $4000. I found a jeff Cooper mounting that I like too.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
A little note on color--how much you see REALLY depends on the cut of the stone. In my experience, you can't just compare a G to an H. You need to compare an "ideal" cut G to an "ideal" cut H. With the stone you're considering, it's an "average" G so an "ideal" H will look just as white if not whiter in color. If only pictures really showed off stones I'd send you lots of mine! I have an "I" princess that faces up as white as the majority of G's. In fact, people ask me all the time if my stone is an F! Although my stone falls somewhere between an H and I table down, when it's face up it's just as white as my Tiffany studs (.5 cts each) which are F in color.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
What have you decided? Are you sticking with this diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results