shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think about this engagement ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ashanns

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I found this engagment ring on sunjewelry website. I want this ring for my fiancee as a diamond engagement ring. 2.03 Carat Edge Diamond 14Kt White Gold Engagement Ring

Help me decide please. The diamond quality looks fine to me. Should I ask for further customization like diamond color and diamond quality. I think the ring is just priced right.

thanks
Ashley Wanimer

horizonwholesale_1867_229736657.jpg

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Boyfriend! Educate yourself.
You''ve got some reading to do first.
41.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow. That ring is very, very different. Can you tell me what kind of feedback you''re looking for? Whether it appeals to us? Whether you think most girls would like it? Whether it looks like a good deal?

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I like it!!! It''s a combination of a tension-look with a classic look in between....the only question, is your FI-to-be looking for a flush w-band? If so, you may need to make something customed to fit the shape of this ring.

Good luck finding the perfect center stone!!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
What sort of feedback are you looking for? I would not get the stone there, the way that is set up bothers me, what is fine cut quality? Is the stone eye-clean? Who is giving the grading report? GIA or EGL I am unclear on this. As for the setting it is more about her taste then mine and if you think that is her dream setting then go for it, however that is such a distinctive setting she will either love it or hate it.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
the sale price is very low even for a average 1 carat and that type of setting. often times i find with things that seem too good to be true, they normally are. with no info on cut it''s hard to tell what type of stone it is.

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I like it...I like the fact that it''s different!!
2.gif

ashanns

Rough_Rock
Hi,
Just talked to a Sunjewelry.com rep and he offered me the center stone with EGL certificate. Although EGL says Ideal cut but according to him its a very fine cut diamond and good for the ring since the ring offers a lot of light from the sides. He is going to make the diamond ring in white gold with this center diamond http://www.sunjewelry.com/79518701d.html for a total price of $5100 total. Since I am also going to buy the center diamond from him, he was generous enough to give me a discount.

A Webinar

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
All I''m going to say is that I don''t like the depth on the stone. Too deep for me!

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
63.1? Yeah, that is too deep for me too.

ashanns, did you try shopping around? You shouldn''t purchase until you''ve had complete knowledge of what you want. Educate yourself first. Surf around this site and learn more before you buy.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Sorry but I do not think that was generous...EGL ideal does not mean a thing. I am not trying to hurt your feelings but I think you ought to re consider.

susi

Shiny_Rock
ashanns, try to find a stone with your specifications that has a GIA report. If the stone you are considering does not have this report, ask your jeweler to submit it to GIA. If he will not, then back away from it and ask to see stones that DO have this report.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i agree with the others. you're paying for a stone that is over 1 carat but it will look smaller than a ideal cut 1 carat stone which has an average diameter of 6.5. the stone you linked us to has a 6.46mm diameter..i would suggest doing a little more research on diamonds and cut and then decide if you're really getting a good deal. EGL is known for grading liberally and therefore your stone could be a J or K...I wouldn't risk it sight unseen for sure.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I would say either GIA or AGS is fine. I personally like AGS, they will also include CUT information.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Check out the grading lab survey in regards to how GIA, EGL USA, and AGS compare.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, meant to add that the link is on the homepage here on PS.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I posted a message asking if anyone had dealt with this company myself. I was going to buy a setting from them until I read this policy:

Semi-Mount Policy

"Sun Jewelry is a manufacturing company that designs and sells its own merchandise. Due to this fact, we are protective of our designs and do not want them copied. Therefore, any setting only purchases will incur a 15% re-stocking fee in addition to the shipping/insurance costs. This will eliminate any potential customer who wants to order our setting, copy our design, and send it back for a refund. If you are ordering just the setting, you will be required to fill out and sign a Credit Card Authorization Form underlining our setting only purchase terms. Settings DO NOT come with heads and must be purchased through your local jeweler or the jeweler who will set your diamond for you."

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, didn''t know that. Ashanns, I would highly recommend that you start your search for a well cut stone first, and then work on the setting. There are many vendors here that will be more than happy to work with you. www.whiteflash.com, www.goodoldgold.com just to get you started. AGS certs will give you the cut information. GIA certs are great also, but you will need a sarin to give you the cut information. I also love www.engagementringsdirect.com Mark is a wonderful guy to work with from what I hear. I hope this isn''t too much info, just trying to help!!
2.gif

ello

Brilliant_Rock
ashanns -
I understand that it’s an exciting time for you but I think it would be great to learn a little more about diamond specifications (good cut = fire = a great diamond spread) before you make your final selection. I did not know this prior to Pricescope but a diamond could be labeled as1ct. but look much smaller because the weight is in the depth of the diamond – you really would want the diamond to at least look it''s weight when viewed face-up. I would ask the ladies and gents from Pricescope to help with a mini crash course in what to look for in a round cut diamond – for example the table size and depth size before you make your final selection.

You’ll be surprised how fun and proud this will make you when you relay your knowledge to your girlfriend.

ashanns

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone that responded so far and I am taking time to read more threads on Pricescope as some of you have recommended. I also checked out www.whiteflash.com like kaleigh suggested, but I must admit, I am getting more confused.

First, to let you know the situation, I can not find that setting anywhere so I have decided to purchase the setting from Sun Jewelry. I was a little hesitant at first because VegasAngel listed their semi-mount return policy. However, I called and talked to Ferah or Serah and she said that they would waive the 15% restocking and still allow me 30 days to return. That made the decision A LOT easier. I was going to have my local jeweler replicate the design, but this is one of the most important things in my life and I want to get it right. My local jeweler had to change a couple things for copyright infringement and I was afraid it won’t turn out like the picture. Anyways, I am planning on purchasing the setting for $1900 in 18kt gold with the upgraded diamonds. My local jeweler wanted $2300 with slight modifications.

My dilemma is still with the center stone. Please help me make a decision!!!

I have these three I am considering:

http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-1912425.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-1960387.htm

http://www.sunjewelry.com/79518701d.html

What is confusing me is Matatora says EGL is not worth much, but on whiteflash.com, it cost more than the GIA. What I am trying to do is compare apples to apples and get the best bang for my buck. If I buy the loose stone and spend about $4200 for the loose stone, plus $1900 for the setting, my total cost is $6100! If I buy the Sun Jewelry stone and their setting together, I got a quote of $5100. That’s a $1000 difference, so my question to you folks is if the $1000 difference is worth it? I tried to call whiteflash.com to ask about the 2 diamonds, but still waiting to get a return call. Anyways, if you guys can give me some insight on the 2 diamonds from white flash, I would appreciate it.

A Webinar

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey there,
Glad you''re taking more time to research before you jump. I do think $1000 could make a HUGE difference in the look of a diamond, and overall lifetime satisfaction.

But that''s not why I''m writing ... there''s another thread going on right now on Pricescope about a luxury vendor called STARDUST DIAMONDS. While I was there ooogling the beautiful settings ... lookie what I found ... YOUR SETTING!!! I think this version has slightly more graceful curves & is stunning. Check it out!

http://www.stardustdiamonds.com/designgallery/index.php?id=2

#b1023

Let us know what you decide!
Deco

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, great find, decodelighted! Here''s the setting at Stardust:

pic1.jpg

You''re right, ashanns, in a way, this process gets more confusing the more you know. I''m glad you''re taking the time to do some research before you purchase. I think it''ll be worth it to hold out for the "right" ring, rather than getting something quickly.

I noticed that the diamonds you''re looking at are all I color, VS1 clarity. Have you seen diamonds like this (is this a color/clarity combination you like?) For the same amount of money, you could probably get away with a lower clarity (VS2, SI1 that''s still eye clean) and a higher color. Do you know if your girlfriend is color sensitive?

As far as GIA/EGL certs are concerned, you might want to do a search on previous threads on this topic. Sometimes an EGL stone whose grade matches a GIA stone is less expensive, but EGL stones are graded more leniently than GIA stones so if you assume that EGL stones could be graded one grade higher than they actually are (ex. EGL I VS1 could equal a GIA J, VS2), you may not be getting much of a bargain. You have to compare apples to apples, as you said.

Another thing I learned when I was diamond shopping is that you really shouldn''t be hunting for a bargain. (This is coming from someone who is definitely a bargain hunter!) Usually deals that sound too good to be true are.
2.gif

Good luck in your search! Are you planning to surprise your girlfriend with the ring or will she have any input on the stone/setting?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The only thing I would have wanted to know about the center diamond from Sun, would be the stats on the EGL report and some sort of reassurance about cut, given that pictures are not there and they do not practice any sort of cut quality branding.

Perhaps the EGL report means that the same stone would turn out with 1-2 lower grades from GIA, but the price seems to accomodate that.

On the other hand, 63# depth is a bit much. It is not impossible to have a lovely diamond like that, but how are we supposed to know if better can be had without knowing how it looks? Some sellers offer return policies just for that. And the cut quality grading is trying to do the same. It is nice to have both...

Now, 6.46 = 6.5 diamter as far as I am concerned. No one can see a hundreth of a milmeter. It is easy to get carried away on those numbers though, since the details usually available (table, depth...) are so far from describing the looks of those diamonds and ... the questions of 'is this ok' persist even with such scant information to go for... I must have fallen for that once or twice myself,
2.gif
Obviously the subject of weight / size has been hottly debated over this forum at least, but it seems that visible differences hover somewhere between 1 and 2 tenths of a milimeter. And 'barely visible' does not mean it makes a huge difference once these diamonds are set.

In fact, the EGL report reads 6.35-6.46 for diameter, which might be slightly visible between two diamonds side by side. If this would be the only difference between this stone and the best out there, I wouldn't worry. There seems to be a bit more though...

The picture of the diamond doesn't look bad - both the proportions and the picture indicate a bit less brilliance inside the table (that graish ring). How bad this is? Well, don't know - this one is not some finely engineered cut, but why would I call it 'bad'? The extra depth goes in the slightly steeper pavilion and the girdle. Try the 'Cut Advisor' under 'Tools' on top of this page using the proportions on the EGL report. More detailed nalysis is feasible because of the very good image available, but it wouldn't really lead to a finer conclusion, as much as I can tell. The dead ring can be modeled with the proportions etc... It would help to see this stone next to a top cut one - there isn't much better for telling what difference cut makes
34.gif

About the setting

The ring is relatively unusual, but quite lovely. If you know it will be liked, that is all that matters stylewise, really. The picture shows nicely finished ring, but that is a stock picture, no ? If the two 'wings' holding the stone are solid enough not to bend and let the diamond loose, why not. I am not sure how you could get a professional opinion on this - obviously the store will back their product, and this is exactly why insurance is not a bad thing after all.
5.gif

And another 0.2 worth hint you might want to consider: who is setting the diamond? The seller of the stone or the seller of the setting or someone else... This matters if somehow either the setting or the diamond are damaged with the ocasion. Of course this doesn't happen often - otherwise you'd see allot of jewelry shops going out of business, but it is worth asking who is responsible for what. Most likely, a jeweler ill not accept to deal with a stone or setting that are prone for trouble anyway.

Can Sunjewelry provide a better cut diamond? perhaps this would make the process easier.

Edited to add: looking over their list of stone.. whicsh they had the same detailed presentation (i.e. nice picture and copy of lab report) for THIS ONE.

Best of luck!
35.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2005 2:29:54 PM
Author:ashanns
Hi,
I found this engagment ring on sunjewelry website. I want this ring for my fiancee as a diamond engagement ring. 2.03 Carat Edge Diamond 14Kt White Gold Engagement Ring

Help me decide please. The diamond quality looks fine to me. Should I ask for further customization like diamond color and diamond quality. I think the ring is just priced right.

thanks
Ashley Wanimer
1-this is a terrible way to buy a diamond --you know nothing about it really and it could be woth half of what you will pay
2-this is a very unusual style--i would be very sure this is what she wants

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I think the setting is very pretty. I just wonder how secure the center diamond is in the setting. I personally would be afraid of the diamond falling out. I would check it 100+ times a day. But, like others have mentioned you will probably get it insured. The 15% they charge is if you buy the setting from them and the diamond elsewhere. I think if you buy the diamond and setting there is a 30 day return with a 5% restocking fee.? Here is the link if you/anyone wants to look at it. http://www.sunjewelry.com/guarantee.html Like I mentioned, I was looking into buying something from them until I read their policies and found pricescope. I just wasn''t comfortable with Sun Jewelry. I ended up buying my diamond from Whiteflash and my setting from Knoxjewelers.com Buy from whoever your comfortable with. I hope whatever you decide both of you love it! :)

ashanns

Rough_Rock
10/25/2005 11:21:13 AM
Author: windowshopper

1-this is a terrible way to buy a diamond --you know nothing about it really and it could be woth half of what you will pay

I am not sure what you mean? Are you saying that I should not purchase diamonds from any online jeweler or just from certain ones? Like I said, I’m trying to get the best deal and no matter what I do Sun Jewelry seems to have the better price. Has any body had a bad experience with them or something? I’ve talked to them a couple times and they seem pleasant. They even waived the 15% restocking fee for the setting and gave me a 30 day return policy. The other jewelers didn’t give me that long of a policy so I am not sure.

I also tried to get the setting from Stardust, but they won’t sell to me and I have to purchase through one of their vendors. I called their local vendor today and he told me it will cost me $7500.. OUCH! On top of that, the diamond they are offering me is not Ideal Cut with a 62% table. I shuddered to think what an Ideal Cut stone will cost me from them.

Again, I just want to thank everyone for their input. I think I will purchase from Sun Jewelry. They seem to have many satisfied customers and they are working with me on their return policy if I am unhappy. I don’t feel there is a $1000-$2400 justification for two stones/setting that are almost identical. Plus, I spoke to Abit who is a manager at Sun Jewelry and explained to him how I am getting a lot of useful information from Pricescope. He told me that there was a member here by the name of Perry who grades by GIA standards or something and he is willing to send it to him to have checked out. They seem to be bending backwards for me and making me feel comfortable. So all these factors attributed to my decision in purchasing from them. I am very excited in getting the ring and will post the ring once I get it. I will also post my experience with Sun Jewelry.

A W

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Allright, I know I am chiming in way too late on this because by now I am sure you have already bought this setting, but I wanted to say something about not being able to fit a wedding band with this ring...

My now-husband got me a ring kind of like this, where a band would need to be custom made to fit the ring. After going through 2 jewelers to have a band made that looked half decent, I gave up. I did have the band made, but I never wore it because I hated the way it looked because it never fit exactly the way it should. It was very important for me to wear a wedding band with my e-ring but since I couldn''t, I began to resent having a ring like this. I know that''s a harsh way of thinking, but it was honestly the way I felt. I finally now have a wedding set and my original e-ring setting is just collecting dust in my jewelry box.

At the time my hubby proposed I was just happy to have any ring. After a few weeks, I began to realize that the ring was not what I had envisioned my e-ring to be (we had never discussed rings so he had no idea on what I wanted/liked).

Now hopefully your girlfriend will not be like me and will just totally love it. I just really wanted something that I could wear a regular band, not a shadow band with.

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
When my husband and I were looking at e-rings last year I found sun jewelry. There prices are way too good to be true, beware!!!!

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
No sense flogging a dead horse, ladies.

ashanns, best of luck with your purchase.

ashanns

Rough_Rock
Just an update! Abit from Sun Jewelry just called me to let me know that my ring is being sent and I will receive it on Friday or Monday at the latest. I am so excited to receive it. I will have it checked out at my local jeweler to make sure everything is what Sun Jewelry says it is. I’ll keep everyone posted on further developments!

A W

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results