shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think about these wedding band options?

vsc

Shiny_Rock
My engagement ring is a 3-stone with a somewhat unusual profile for the band: it's only ~1.5mm thick but it's maybe ~2mm tall (away from finger). I like it because it feels substantial but still looks like a really thin band. In addition, it has a nice profile that I'd hate to hide (swoopy prongs). To top all of it off, I am a sucker for symmetry and I feel a little weird about the whole wedding-ring-on-one-side asymmetry.

Long story short, I have tried every style wedding band possible - surprisingly, my ring looks "at home" in bulky ring guards that are absolutely not my style. The center stone gets drowned out when it is paired with a diamond band. So I'm left with plain metal bands, which I like in themselves, but the standard 2mm band sold in B&M stores has a low profile that looks really weird next to the high profile of my ER.

Here are my main ideas:
* a plain 1.5 mm white gold band from eweddingbands - it will be the most matchy-matchy option, but it will hide part of the swoopy prongs and still won't be the same exact height/thickness as the band.
* two 1mm yellow or rose gold bands (one on each side) from Etsy (something like this: etsy stacking bands). Should be low enough that the profile looks good, and I like the two tone. But I'm worried that for one it would look weird or unexpected to people, and second, that a 1mm band would look way too small during the ceremony and/or would be fragile in the long run. Also, no B&M locally seem to carry anything like it so I haven't been able to get a good idea of how it would look.
* Wearing the ER by itself, and using it during the ceremony as a WB. Would that be weird?
* Getting a ring guard. There was one at Helzberg with Princess cuts that looked good with it, but they wouldn't let me take a picture! Their pic

Here are some pictures to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. What do you guys think?

DSC02059--cropped.png

DSC03998--small-2.png

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure which I prefer, but consider that the wedding band is usually closest to the hand and the e-ring is on top of that, so you're the only one who will miss the view of the swoopy prongs, NBD if you ask me...

vsc

Shiny_Rock
Sadly, I am the one that stares at my swoopy prongs all day...
I photoshopped what two gold bands would look like. I like the symmetry, but does it look weird?

two ring mockup-small.jpg

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
vsc, I don't think it looks weird at all, and I actually really like the two-tone look! Plus you're able to admire your profile!

I'm having the same issue with a WB covering up profile details that I love, but I've just decided that I can always admire the profile from the other direction when I want to see it! :D

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely love the two band look and two toned :love: . It looks fantastic (but then again my wedding set visually looks a lot like that.)

I say go for that - you could always then switch it up with diamond bands or rose gold bands later on!

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
The two rose gold ones sound like they would be really pretty!! I really like the plain band options you chose, gold or white gold!

vsc

Shiny_Rock
oh, thanks rhbgirl, vc10um, and bleedburntorange... that's just what I needed! I haven't seen anyone in real life do the two-tone thing, and very few people have two bands - I guess I'm in a pretty traditional part of the country :) Deep down I feel it's the best option for me (especially after doing the photoshop mockup, since I couldn't try it on in real life) :appl: Now heading to Etsy to make my choice. :)

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I really like the thin gold band next to your ering! I am not a fan of the chunky/swoopy wrap... just MHO.

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the matching band!

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Hi vsc!

I love the look of your ering with two gold bands... especially because it is two-toned.
But I am a little biased. My ering is a rose gold solitaire with a "swoopy" profile that I didn't want hidden, but I also wanted symmetry. We are ordering a yellow-gold-with-diamond wrap for mine so I totally relate to your situation! And yes, two-tone is not common.. that is why I like the look!

Go with what you like! You're the one that will be looking at it every day :)

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
I really like the two gold bands.. better yet, two rose gold bands! I think white and rose gold look gorgeous together! Doooo it! Then I can be jealous (in a good way)! :lol:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am late to this party - but I have a threestone w/ almost-2mm shoulders like yours - looks like stone proportions like yours too, and I have a 1mm hammered rose gold stacker that I *love* to wear in place of my wb sometimes, or as a spacer.

the colours are lovely together and the hammered, polished finish adds a touch of interest to an otherwise very unassuming little band - so I would choose two of those! ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
and in case it helps way your vote :halo:

rgspacer3.jpg
rgspacer2.jpg
rgspacer1.jpg

ETA: yikes sorry they're huge!

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
Just another chime-in for the mixed-metal look! I use a rose gold spacer with platinum w-band and e-ring, and get a lot of compliments. Nobody has ever thought it was weird, and if they did, they kept their opinion to themselves! :D

Supers

Shiny_Rock
I like the two gold bands.
I'm going for a mix metal e-ring and w-band, I think it looks great!

vsc

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, I'm so glad to see so many fans of the mixed metal look! :D Is there a "Show me your two-tone / mixed metal wedding set" thread yet in SMTR? Cause if not, we need one!

Yssie, you totally made my day. I've really really love your setting and the rose gold band is beautiful with it :love:! Exactly what I was thinking about... I was sort of set on 1mm full round rings, but now you're making me consider the hammered ones as well :)
As for rose gold, I've had a hard time finding 1mm full round bands in 18k to match my ER (the few I found seem to be 14k, or have a square profile). Off to search some more...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vsc - aww thank you, and this is a board of enablers! PP's link should have you covered ::)

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
So, I know you were looking for 18K ones, but I just wanted to share this with you and anyone else who may be interested..

http://www.etsy.com/transaction/39779932

I couldn't justify spending $300 for 2 rings because I'm not using them for wedding rings and they're just going to keep my promise ring company on my right hand.. So, I got these 14K ones instead. $54 for both and shipping is included!
:appl: :appl: :appl:

vsc

Shiny_Rock
PavePrincess, let me know how these turn out! I had considered them but was afraid they would be flimsy compared to the more expensive ones (one pet peeve I have with Etsy sellers is that they don't always mention the exact dimensions or the weight of their jewelry).

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I'm very interested to hear your review as well, PP. Please let us know how they work out for you!!

vsc

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,
I wanted to update this thread to say I ended up getting the Danielle band from WF, and it looks great! I like that there's a small gap and that it looks like 2 distinct bands, and at the same time it's dainty enough that it doesn't overpower my ER.

I think in the future I might still get the small rose or yellow gold bands in order to match if I'm wearing yellow/rose gold jewelry, since I still love the two-tone look! Or maybe just one gold band that I can put in between ER and WB.

I just realized I don't have any good hand shots (or shots at all) of the two together! But here is the wedding band:

DanielleBandHandShot.jpg

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous band!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results