shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think about Medium Blue Fluorescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tejen25

Rough_Rock
in a 1 Carat H color stone, SI1. Should that worry me. Thanks to all the great people on this board.

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade

I love it. My diamond is about a .50ct D-VVS1 Signature with medium blue. Very cool to show people under a blacklight.

When people used to come into the office we would go through the GIA report of the diamond ther were considering line by line. When it came to fluorescence I would pull out this 5ct diamond tennis bracelet. I would ask the clients to look at the bracelet and see if they noticed any differences between the color of the fifty diamonds. No one could.

Then we would go in a back room with a $10 blacklight from Spencers. I would turn out all the lights and ''WHAM'' - about 1/4 of the diamonds would glow. Some were faint, some medium, some strong. Even an orange and a yellow. Everyone loved it. But here''s the cool part.

Then I would turn the lights back on but leave the blacklight on too. Now the blue diamonds didn''t look blue anymore - they looked icy white! The combination of regular indoor lighting and the blacklight made the nonfluorescent diamonds look dead next to the fluorescent ones. I explained that this same effect would take place when THEIR diamond was outside, only in a much more subdued way.

So, from my experience anyway, fluorescence is nothing but a positive. You''ll read about "milky" or "hazy" diamonds. Not a real concernt. I''ve only seen it once in five years and that was with a "very strong" blue diamond.

Best of luck.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2004 6:21:58 PM
Author:tejen25
in a 1 Carat H color stone, SI1. Should that worry me. Thanks to all the great people on this board.

Unless the fluorescence is strong, it will probably not have an effect on the appearance of a near-colorless stone like yours in normal lighting conditions. Just be certain the stone does not look milky or cloudy (unlikely if it's medium fl).

I actually enjoy the look of a stone with fluorescence under blacklights (in clubs, etc.). As you may have read, blue fluorescence can enhance the appearance of diamonds of lower colors.

As an FYI, there are a number of fluorescence fans who seek out strong blue and overblue (thanks Ice) fluorescence in their diamonds.

Edited to add: Jim, LOL... I bought a blacklight for my home office for the same purpose
10.gif

tejen25

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys!

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a .85 H Jubilee with medium blue fluorescene. When it''s outside in direct sunlight it looks whiter with a very, very, very slight blue hue. I haven''t yet had the chance to look at it under a black light.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

I used to be all for having blue fluorescene in a diamond but with the grading issues brought up by Marty and confirmed another way it makes me hesitate.

But the good news was that it was within one grade in every case.

My tenative opinion is that with a gia cert I wouldnt want it in a g or higher diamond unless the grading is confirmed under the proper lighting with no flourecence.

Within the hij range the price increase per grade is less and it does in some situations help mask the color so I see it as more of a good thing than bad.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results