shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think about a colored stone engagement ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
My boyfriend and I are talking marriage and rings and I''m sort of thinking a ring with a sapphire or something might be cool. Anyone else had a non diamond engagement ring, if so what type of stone did you have?
-Kitten

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YES! Sapphire, antique cushion cut, 3.82ct, unheated, GIA certificate, eye clean (SI1, TypeII), 6/5 color grade. It is geting set in a simple 22K bezel... No side stones. The sapphire comes from an antique store in Bucharest, Romania (this is where I am from) but I know plenty of sources for great sapphire, ruby, emeralds and the like, since colored stones are my favorite passtime. Any of these can be as expernsive (per catat) as diamonds and all are much more rare. Rubies are the one stone which exceeds diamonds in price per carat. However, there are not nearly as many places where you can see good quality colored gems as are places wher you can see decent diamonds. probably very high end jewelry stores might have something and surely museums... Or, you can set an appointment with a reputable jeweler who specializes in this stuff. By the way, my little ID icon is part of a picture of the sapphire in question... Seriously, I have yet to see really blue sapphires, glowing red rubbies and grass-green emeralds in average jewelry stores. If you have some idea of what you want, I would be happy to show what I know. If you want to get an idea about what is out there: see www.cherrypicked.com and ruby-sapphire.com and rare1.com for great stones, pics and info from the top sources. The 'reserve collection' page of africagems.com is also a great sight...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And the rest of the message....

A nice sapphire ring in the more usual 'three stone' style you can find on the e-bay page of diamondsbylauren.com (and this one is a good price too). Pala International (I believe their web page is palagems.com) has a wider range of prices, sizes and qualities. And there are many more out there. Colored stones and colored diamonds are a never ending story!

Hope to stay in touch
2.gif

By the way: personally I do not sell or have to help selling anything. I am looking forward to share my pleasure for colored gems! After hunting gems in US, UK, Western and Eastern Europe, I know that engagement rings come in many more colors in the old world than in the new. You see many more sapphires on fingers in Europe. I guess most engagement rings will contain one of the 'big three' (precious, as oposed to semiprecious stones): sapphire, ruby and emerald. Of these, emerald is the most brittle, so the first two are the first choices. Spinel is also used, especially very nice stones which look (and cost) like rubies or sapphires... Ok, enough now, right?!
1.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your reply. I will check out the sites you mentined and if you know of any more plrease by all means let me know
wavey.gif
twirl.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Also if anyone knows of a place in San Francisco with a good reputation please post it here.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure!
By the way... Mozaffarian jewelers is in SanFran right? Take a look at ajsgems.com - their range starts with little accent stones but goes quite high. Look for the 3ct+ Burma rubies there! Now they show some good looking sapphire going up to 2000/ct, but I've seen much better at this source.-----Best quality? Well, try www.preciousgemstones.com. These are not really cheap, but not outrageous either and this the website most scrupulous about grading their colored stones.---And at www.jyotishgem.com you will find some good looking stones packaged with some unusual chat about indian talismans. Well, I don't know about the magic, but the stones are well priced and at least good quality. I have seen some greats there too.-----And www.burmarubies.com is for info only (B2B otherwise), but what they show is what pecious gems aspire to be when they grow up!----Same for www.sapphires.ca/ but prices here are not really as good as they can be. Still, great gems are too rare to bargain for. ----- The greatest range of choices could well be at www.walterarnstein.com. I know they do not quote prices on their site, but this is the usual protocol for collectors' items anyway. If you fall in love (this is very easy) with their fare, you need to let a trustworthy jeweler to do the buying, preferably with the gems in sight. However, their selection IS great.

Well, this is a good sample of gems online! Enjoy!
2.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Mozaffarian Jewelers is in San Francisco , I just looked it up on line, I will have to check it out since it's not to far from where I work.
-
loopy.gif

Kitten

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results