shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think: $15.500 for a 2.01 ct

Kunal

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am currently shopping around for a 2ct diamond for an engagement ring. I have been offered this one for $15500 and was wondering if its a good price. Thank you so much in advance. I don't have any ASET Image.

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=6215986437

Round Brilliant
Measurements
8.20 - 8.23 x 4.90 mm
Carat Weight
2.02 carat
Color Grade
I
Clarity Grade
VS2
Cut Grade
Excellent

proportions
Depth
59.6 %
Table
60 %
Crown Angle
34.0°
Crown Height
13.5%
Pavilion Angle
40.8°
Pavilion Depth
43.0%
Star Length
50%
Lower Half
80%
Girdle
Medium, Faceted, 3.0%
Culet
None

finish
Polish
Excellent
Symmetry
Excellent

Fluorescence
None

clarity characteristics
Clarity Characteristics
Cloud, Feather, Crystal, Needle

q4rq24.jpg

Attachments

• 6215986437__3_.pdf
    731.3 KB · Views: 27

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Someone else on here also posted about this stone recently (I think) so if you want it, you should reserve it ASAP.

It will reflect white light very nicely and has a good spread. It won't have as much fire, though, due to the lower crown angle and the 60/60 cut.

It is a large stone for the price and should be eye clean from what I can tell but you will want to verify that with the seller. Is there a return policy.

Kunal

Rough_Rock
thanks for the quick Feedback.

The Stone is actually being held by my "wife to bes" cousin who is a Diamond dealer (Wholesalers buy from him) specializing in Canadian diamonds. This stone is from a Canadian mine. So at the moment no one else will be able to buy it.

So from what i understand according to you its a good deal?

Thanks again for your time.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
wildcat03 said:
Someone else on here also posted about this stone recently (I think) so if you want it, you should reserve it ASAP.

It will reflect white light very nicely and has a good spread. It won't have as much fire, though, due to the lower crown angle and the 60/60 cut.

It is a large stone for the price and should be eye clean from what I can tell but you will want to verify that with the seller. Is there a return policy.
Hi wildcat03. A 34 degrees crown angle is not low.

The reason this stone may have slightly less fire would be because of the larger table.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kunal|1458926203|4010954 said:
thanks for the quick Feedback.

The Stone is actually being held by my "wife to bes" cousin who is a Diamond dealer (Wholesalers buy from him) specializing in Canadian diamonds. This stone is from a Canadian mine. So at the moment no one else will be able to buy it.

So from what i understand according to you its a good deal?

Thanks again for your time.
Sounds like a good price to me if you prefer a 60/60 stone.

Kunal

Rough_Rock
thanks for your input guys. Ya the HCA scores are good at 1.6 and give me some technical comfort. The dealer (my wife's cousin) has confirmed its eye clean.

Any idea what a stone like this would generally cost on the market?

Thanks

_36861.jpg

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock
My 2cents.

Initially, I would have excluded this from my search because of a couple of the parameters.

However, I think 15.5 is a great price for that size.

After seeing my stone in person. I think there is a lot of fuss over things that are probably imperceptible or imperceptible without a direct comparison.

I'd be all over this at this price. No question about it.

Kunal

Rough_Rock
Im curious. Why would you have excluded this from your search? What parameters here would make it a no go for you?

Thanks

cchloe

Shiny_Rock
Probably the fact that the table is larger than the depth (I was wondering the same thing about similar stones to this awhile ago). The "ideal" proportions are supposed to be table 54-57% and depth 61-62.5%.

Kunal

Rough_Rock
thanks for that insight. From what I make out its a 60/60 stone. Wont the sightly larger table enable more light return and sparkle? And also wont the stone look a bit larger due to rel. lower depth?

Thanks

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The fact that you have an expert on your side is great, and makes the comments I offer below largely for-interest-only.

Kunal|1459097024|4011713 said:
thanks for that insight. From what I make out its a 60/60 stone.
It is indeed.
Wont the sightly larger table enable more light return and sparkle?
Every part of the diamond's geometry works together. In this case the table, along with the (given) pavilion angle and (given) crown angle listed are promising as it relates to overall brightness and light return. Be aware, though, that when the table % is wider there's relatively less height in the crown. The amount of room depends on table and CA working together, of course. In this case, 60% table with the (given) 34 degree CA combine for a crown height of around 13.5%.

Putting that in perspective: This candidate does have more crown height than many 60-60 makes. If you move to Tolk-Ideals, their crown heights run closer to 15%. If you were seeking an antique/transitional make which is darker overall, but has slow, big chunks of fire you'd want an even higher crown: Higher crowns permit more room for dispersive fans to widen, increasing the chance your pupils will detect fire.

And also wont the stone look a bit larger due to rel. lower depth?
It will if the diamond has edge-to-edge brightness. That all depends on critical angles and cut-consistency inside the numbers. Actually, if you live in a Costco or a jewelry showroom, where you have numerous bright spotlights above, just about any diamond does that. But in normal lighting it's amazing how many diamonds go dark at the edges because they don't have the optimum angles for edge to edge brightness, nor are the internal mirrors precisely aligned.

As I said first: The given numbers are promising. One thing I've learned about 60-60 makes, especially, is to check the variation inside the numbers. In this case, due to the way numbers are averaged and further rounded on reports, the actual crown angle may be anywhere between 33.7-34.2. Whatever that number, it's an average of eight separate measurements.

All of that said, turn to your diamond pro and get his evaluation. He can best ensure that you're getting accurate color/clarity grading as well as checking a number of factors and flags which appear nowhere on a grading. He will know about makes (60-60 v others). If he trained beyond his G.G. he may be keen on angular spectrum evaluation. Or if he's old-school :) he may know Zeiss-loupe, Gilbertson-Scope, Firescope and other such assessment approaches. There are many ways to skin the cut-cat. Enjoy the process!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW, I LOVE 60/60 stones... Both of my diamonds have been, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another! At that price, I'd be all over that stone! :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's not a steal of a deal or anything, but it is a fair price. I found a similar 60/60 stone on Blue Nile and it was $15,700.

Kunal

Rough_Rock
@John: thanks for the excellent feedback. Helped me better understand your point of view

@ diamondseeker2006: do you still have a link of the Stone you found on Blue Nile or GIA report? Is the price $15,700 you found including Tax or is Tax gonna come on top of it?

Thanks

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kunal|1459206518|4012275 said:
@John: thanks for the excellent feedback. Helped me better understand your point of view

@ diamondseeker2006: do you still have a link of the Stone you found on Blue Nile or GIA report? Is the price $15,700 you found including Tax or is Tax gonna come on top of it?

Thanks

That was the wire price. You do not pay tax on stones from BN unless you live in the state where it is located, as far as I know.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06802129

To get the link to open, you have to hold down the Ctrl button and Enter.

Kunal

Rough_Rock
Thx diamondseeker2006. That is indeed a very similar stone (well based upon the numbers). HCA score is almost the same.

Based upon my personal preferences and location the price would be higher for me:

1. I never wire when so much money is involved. So I would be paying $15,950.

2. Im in Europe (Germany) so I would have to pay 19% tax. which would make the stone cost $18,980.

Regards

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, you are right that shopping in the US will be more expensive for someone in Germany if you have to pay import taxes! So I take it the diamond you are buying is in Europe, or is it from the US and they already added the 19% tax?

Just a note, some of the diamond vendors will not take international credit cards, so wire would be necessary from some locations. As a US buyer, I almost always pay for diamonds by wire, but I am dealing with vendors I know and trust. I have never heard of a problem with wiring money to a PS vendor, just for the sake of others reading this thread.

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
FWIW, when I was in the market last year, I searched long and hard, found a 2.35ct I color, eye-clean SI2 (AGS Grade 6, so a clean SI2), AGS000, Fiery Ideal Cut on the HCA scale; it was 8.48x8.51mm, and I paid $15,900. Same budget as you. Basically I got a much larger stone, near perfect idealscope and top tier AGS000 cut, for trading out some imperceptible (without a loupe) imperfections; it isn't apples to apples exactly to yours, and typically an AGS000 would bring a premium too. So, you are in the ballpark, but I wouldn't say buy it unless the idealscope and light reflection are top tier. Hers is 62.4/55.5/35.6/40.6 in terms of cut angles. Extremely happy with the purchase, but perhaps I just got lucky.

Anything graded AGS000 should be a top tier cut, but even then, there are better and worse AGS000 diamonds. The one I got looked to have the generated light image on the cert that was better than about 80% of the AGS000 ones you see. That helped me make the decision; I felt confident ordering it up as the cert computer generated image was so strong. Once we got it through an idealscope and ASET, it was obviously a very well cut diamond and a great value at that price. Performance was on par with a Whiteflash "expert selection" which was my other option, when compared side by side.

I used Rami at Salomon Brothers. He was able to sort through the database and find a couple of very well valued AGS000 stones for me, both with excellent light reflection on the cert, and pull them in for inspection for me. Both ended up being excellent choices, both fiery ideal cuts AGS000 and at the top of the light reflection heap, but I went with the slightly larger I over the smaller H stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results