shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you like the least about the diamond industry?

What do you like the least about the diamond industry?

• Sales People

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Confusing terms

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Subjective grading

• Marketing methods

• Lack of consistent information/Lack of training

• No complaints

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a follow up of Garry''s thread.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
If other please specify in this thread should be the 7th option...

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Drats...too late to edit? I think 7 should be all of the above. Thats is how I would vote.
2.gif

Oh with the exception of excluding 6 from my vote.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
So, you''re just interested in our opinions on the commercial aspect? Because the first thing that popped into my head when I saw your topic was the ethical issues associated with diamonds.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Um, the pricing.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2008 1:17:59 AM
Author: door knob solitaire
Drats...too late to edit? I think 7 should be all of the above. Thats is how I would vote.
2.gif

Oh with the exception of excluding 6 from my vote.

Ditto :)

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I wish diamonds were more of an investment.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are talking about non-PS vendors and regular mall or brick and mortor stores it''d be the sales people. It drives me nuts that I know more about types of settings/terminogy than they do. and diamonds, that''s just as crazy. one very popular store in my area told me they do not carry AGS diamonds b/c that lab will only grade branded stones like HoF. I decided to not mentione that I owned a non branded AGS0 stone at the time
20.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2008 8:49:27 AM
Author: mrssalvo
If you are talking about non-PS vendors and regular mall or brick and mortor stores it'd be the sales people. It drives me nuts that I know more about types of settings/terminogy than they do. and diamonds, that's just as crazy. one very popular store in my area told me they do not carry AGS diamonds b/c that lab will only grade branded stones like HoF. I decided to not mentione that I owned a non branded AGS0 stone at the time
20.gif
I agree! They look at you like you have 3 heads when in reality THEY have the wrong information! And they are so pushy, will not take no for an answer...and they follow you around from case to case! I would also have to say the pricing...it would be lovely if bling were a bit more afordable, that way I could have SO much more!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto ad nauseum on the sales people. I can hardly stand to go into a B&M store for that very reason. They practically start panting when you walk in the door and as mentioned, follow you from case to case (car to car anyone?), or they try to get you into a HoF, and/or they DO look at you like a PITA when you KNOW something.

Of course I''d wager that most PS''ers are not, like the average shopper, nearly as susceptible to the hype. Just more aware of it and annoyed by it, as the poll results attest.
40.gif

A Day Late

Rough_Rock
I also agree with MrsS and DiamondD. I have been shopping for a few weeks now, and I am starting to take these salespeople to heart. I feel now that they are just falt out lying to me, and trying to take advantage of those of us who know little about diamonds. I am VERY happy with my BF, as he asked me to find my ring with him. I went shopping (with him) and the prices ovewhelmed me. I really felt that I could get the ring of my dreams with my budget, but was seriously let down. (see my story in this forum).

The more research I do, the more i feel i am being lied to and pushed into spending my money on less-than-OK diamonds.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Crap like this - the education page on some B&M websites :

A diamond with a cut grade of ‘excellent or very good’ from the GIA can be said to be an ideal cut diamond. A grade of good can be seen as nearly an ideal cut.

Most leading diamond retailers will not stock diamonds with a clarity level of SI2 or less as this is the minimum that the naked eye cannot see.

All the leading diamond retailers such as Cartier and Tiffany & Co, provide a GIA certificate with all their diamond products.

Colour is generally accepted as being more important for it is the first thing that one sees in a diamond.

23.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2008 4:29:02 AM
Author: Jelly
I wish diamonds were more of an investment.
Yes, this would be nice! I checked the diamond prices at the store my eng ring was purchased at, and it''d be less now than it was in 1994!

The issues I have are the high prices and lack of great quality stones sold locally. I cannot stand that sales people do not know their stuff AND even if they do, they''re obligated due to ignore the importance of cut in order to keep their jobs at low-quality chain stores.

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
I hate the salespeople in B&M stores. I agree most of them know very little about diamonds. They pass on all kinds of misinformation. Furthermore, they prey on uneducated consumers who don''t know what a ring is worth. I couldn''t in good conscience sell someone a ring for more than twice what it is worth, but I know there are many people who would.

Also, I wish there wasn''t such a shroud of secrecy in the diamond industry.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/17/2008 12:12:18 AM
Author:strmrdr
This is a follow up of Garry''s thread.
Its primitiveness..., and cowardliness to move on to the next level of where this industry should be at.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love diamonds, but there are so many things I dislike about the industry and I don't think I can pick the worst one.

I don't like the inflated prices on goods that aren't really that rare.
I can't stand the poor training of salespeople and their snooty attitudes.
I don't like the cheesy marketing campaigns.

That's why I buy online...b/c most of these issues are ameliorated.

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Ask most jewelry store sales people what they did before (job wise) Most will say sales (car sales, retail sales, electronics sales, something like that) I would agree that probably 95 percent of salespeople don''t know their s**t, because they were just hired based on the fact they know how to sell. Very few stores will actually have any GG''s that actually came into the business for the love of the product and not the sales aspect. And this is very unfortunate for all. It frustrates customers and the few and far inbetween educated salespeople that choose to work in those stores.
7.gif

Yep, next time you get a salesperson with a "used car" presentation, ask him where he worked before out of curiousity..hehe.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I feel badly that many people will overpay for inferior quality jewelry. There's something very sad about the fact that people are getting taken advantage of especially because they have their emotions involved in something that is often a representation of love. That aspect is very unfortunate.
40.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
What I find interesting was I included 1 and 5 too see how many people would separate the sales person from what the sales person was pushing and what I see as the biggest reason for it.

I'm rather surprised it was almost 50% that did.

The one person that said no complaints either hasn't been in many diamond stores or is in the trade LOL

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Economic Downturn Requires Retail Re-think

"In effect, do whatever it takes to understand what consumers are thinking right now and why they are behaving the way they are. Find ways to immediately put consumer feedback into practice. They will guide you not only to survive --but thrive-- in any landscape, including the current downturn."

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2008 2:27:31 PM
Author: Serg

Economic Downturn Requires Retail Re-think

''In effect, do whatever it takes to understand what consumers are thinking right now and why they are behaving the way they are. Find ways to immediately put consumer feedback into practice. They will guide you not only to survive --but thrive-- in any landscape, including the current downturn.''

interesting article nice too know PS isn''t the only voice in the wilderness.
But treating wealthy consumers different than others can backfire also.
One local place had a very wealthy client who bought 10s of thousands of dollars worth of stuff there year round.
His executive assistant went there too buy a $300 item and was badly treated, they lost both customers.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think we''d get a kick out of another poll named: "What''s to like about the diamond industry?"

It is easy to generalize and find free criticism, but darned difficult to really make a positive contribution toward betterment. Most thinking folks in the trade recognize the many problems and issues, but have little influence as relatively small business people. It is a daily scramble to make ends meet for many supposedly wealthy merchants.

The poll reminds me of the two picky woman eating at a rather posh restaurant. The waiter came by and asked them: "Ladies, is anything alright?"

One said the food was simply horrid today and the other chimed in to voice her agreement and made the comment that the portions were so small.

This is a lot like the jewelry business. It is often a love-hate thing, but it has been a good working model for decades. Change in a tradition bound business is very difficult to observe or live through.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2008 4:31:56 PM
Author: oldminer
I think we''d get a kick out of another poll named: ''What''s to like about the diamond industry?''

It is easy to generalize and find free criticism, but darned difficult to really make a positive contribution toward betterment. Most thinking folks in the trade recognize the many problems and issues, but have little influence as relatively small business people. It is a daily scramble to make ends meet for many supposedly wealthy merchants.

The poll reminds me of the two picky woman eating at a rather posh restaurant. The waiter came by and asked them: ''Ladies, is anything alright?''

One said the food was simply horrid today and the other chimed in to voice her agreement and made the comment that the portions were so small.

This is a lot like the jewelry business. It is often a love-hate thing, but it has been a good working model for decades. Change in a tradition bound business is very difficult to observe or live through.
hmm I thought of such a poll but what would I put as options.
If I put pricescope as an option it will get 100% of the vote :}
lol

Its even more painful too go out of business because you didn''t change and all the customers moved on too those that did.
Three of the biggest independent jewelers in my area didn''t exist 5 years ago.
At the same time many of them are retiring and there is no one that wants too take over.
In one case the son owns one of the new companies mentioned above.
Rather than take over the family business and the reputation he launched his own.

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
Well, if any of you read the diatribe I wrote about my day at the jewelry store, you would understand that at this point I am extremely disappointed with a poor quality stone or piece of jewelry being portrayed as ideal or excellent. Its hard if you don''t have PS as a resource--which I didn''t when I got taken for a ride with this current stone. I also don''t like the attitude you get when you start asking educated questions. Once they realize you are not a total diamond moron, their claws come out. Hence my experience today. Just my 2 cents worth. I can only hope that one day the diamond buying process becomes a level playing field even if you don''t have the diamond knowledge that many people on here possess.

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/18/2008 4:31:56 PM
Author: oldminer
I think we''d get a kick out of another poll named: ''What''s to like about the diamond industry?''

The poll reminds me of the two picky woman eating at a rather posh restaurant. The waiter came by and asked them: ''Ladies, is anything alright?''

Naahh..I''m sure most would agree complaining or finding the negative is more fun.
26.gif

Oldminer- Very good point made.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results