shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you HATE spending money on?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
paying a cover charge at bars!!!!

I won''t colour my hair because I think its a waste of money (...until I get greys - then I''ll fork it over)

I hate when restaurants try to ''sell'' you bottled water. Tap water is good enough for me ;-)

I don''t buy my lunch at work. I brownbag it.

Parking.

Renewal fees for ID. Everyone needs ID, so I think the renewals are a total cash grab.

Thats all for now
16.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate paying for parking tickets. Sometimes I have no change (as many meters in my area are quarters only!) or I get back too late. I hate it, but feel there is nothing I can do about it since I deserve them. (most of the time!)

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Shampoos, conditioners, and other misc beauty products. All my life my parents owned a beauty supply store so I grew up using the best stuff for free
9.gif
When I moved out I was most frustrated with having to pay for shampoo/conditioner for the first time in years, not to mention having to buy the cheap brands since it was coming out of my own pocket
14.gif

A few years later I got a job at a beauty company and life was good again
2.gif

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
MAKEUP. Not only do I loathe wearing it and putting it on, which I am horrid at, but it''s also SO expensive for anything decent!

In general, I really dislike paying money for "intangible" items like food or entertainment. I always feel like I get more use out of something that is an object, even though that is sort of a silly stance to take. I''d much rather not get a meal out when I''m shopping for the day and spend the extra $10 on an on-sale shirt or something.
20.gif

I also dread buying bras. I am so cheap that I can''t make myself pay the full price for them. I end up finding some on the sale rack that *almost* fit, but don''t quite do the trick, and then I buy them and am constantly uncomfortable. I''m lucky though that I am "challenged" in that area- that would make it much more difficult.
31.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
taxes, car insurance, cell phone bill, car maintanence, dog food!
emotion-39.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
1-Health Insurance
2-tips when the service is poor.
3-hair cuts
4-gas
5-car repair
6-movie tickets
7-airline tickets

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Home repairs and major appliances--Not fun expenditures and I can''t wear them!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
This is my big one. I have to pay nearly $10 each way on the PA turnpike to go visit my family (which I do often), and lately it''s really been irkiing me because not only do I have to pay $10, I pay $10 to sit in hours of traffic! But there literally is no other route to get there!

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
taxes on the phone bills!!!!!!!

they just keep getting bigger and have no clue what half of them are for..

allikatac

Shiny_Rock
1. Tolls- I pay $3 a day on the PA turnpike to get to and from work. The drive is already 45minutes and if I would try to take a different route it would almost double my time. Not worth it with what gas prices are today.

2. Haircuts and color- I stopped highlighting my hair this past year because it just became too expensive!

3. ATM fees- I hate having to spend money to get my own money out!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
ALL TAXES!!! The co-pay on prescription meds: I''m already paying premiums of $300/month for insurance, but the med I need is never covered
7.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Parking, and parking tickets is a waste of money...I hate to spend money on beauty services, such as hair, pedicures/manicures...I would NEVER spend money on any type of cosmetic surgery, botox, implants, lipo..etc. I think that would be a waste of money (to me), I will just stay fit, and keep what I got! I absolutely HATE to spend money on clothes, handbags, and jewelry from a retailer, and will try to get them off E-bay, or other online sites, that offer this stuff for a fraction of what you''d pay in a retail stores!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 10:26:42 AM
Author: allikatac
1. Tolls- I pay $3 a day on the PA turnpike to get to and from work. The drive is already 45minutes and if I would try to take a different route it would almost double my time. Not worth it with what gas prices are today.

2. Haircuts and color- I stopped highlighting my hair this past year because it just became too expensive!

3. ATM fees- I hate having to spend money to get my own money out!
Yeah, that is the biggest pet peeve I have. It''s the most ridiculous ripoff, especially because you have to pay the fee to your bank who making the interest off your money.
29.gif

Aside from that, I am grateful that I have a job that pays me well enough to complain about how I have to spend it.
21.gif

I hate clothes shopping, more than I hate the spending. I wish I had a personal shopper that would run all over town finding me the perfect outfits for the best prices.
36.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 9:39:31 AM
Author: Eva17

Americans pay taxes on the phone bills? That''s the craziest thing I ever heard. I guess I''m fortunate to have unlimited long distance calling for $5/month..especially when my best friend in California spends at least 1.5 to 2 hours on the phone with me every other week!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 9:39:31 AM
Author: Eva17

No kidding.

How about service fees on insurance bills. I pay an extra 3 bucks each bill, for WHAT? Someone to open the bill and record my payment? What a rip, as if ins. isn''t expensive enough.
29.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate buying gym clothes-no idea why, I just hate spending the money on it.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Underwear - I finally found a style that I LOVE, but they''re $9 a pair and NEVER on sale. I find it even weirder that DH''s boxer briefs cost more than my undies! Usually guys'' stuff is so much cheaper. Bras are completely heinous too. I finally started getting them at Target - those last just as long as my VS ones.

Birth control - the price of the stuff is ridiculous and I think my insurance company should be shot for not covering it. I''m doing them a FAVOR by not having a baby, thanks!!

Internet - $40 a month for flipping a switch..what??!?!

Books - so overpriced. We used to get books all the time from my MIL after she discovered amazon.com but then I told her about an article I saw for bookswim.com which is basically Netflix for books. Dumb, dumb, Elmorton - the flow of new books into our house has slowed down considerably. I know we could use the library, but I''m bad at returning, and I like owning my own books. Don''t get me started on the cost of children''s books - I feel like that''s a contributing reason for low literacy rates...
7.gif

Bedding/towels - we don''t really have to buy these for awhile since we''re pretty set after getting married last year, but the prices of towels and sheets are SHOCKING. I love our Nautica set and love high thread counts, but $150 for sheets...yikes. Even the "cheapies" run $40, though! Same goes for towels. A set costs some pretty good money, but it''s SO HARD to find ones that last more than a year!

Postage - the prices to send stuff seem SO high. Didn''t stamps used to be .29? Sending packages is so much worse, too.

Cat litter/cat food - DH hates this more than I do. We don''t even buy the very top of the line stuff, but it definitely increases our monthly groceries in a noticeable way.

Parking - I don''t carry cash, so this is a giant PITA always.

Carwashes - I love having a clean car, but I always have a hard time figuring out if it was worth $6, and my car is never completely clean. And it will, without fail, rain the next day.

Can/bottle deposit tax - DH and I don''t lose sleep over this, but we do complain every now and then. We live in a state with can/bottle deposit charges (so a 6-pack is .30 more, not noticeable really) - but we recycle at the curb, so we never see that money returned. We think it''s kinda unfair that we get penalized for recycling.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Red light tickets from intersections rigged up with cameras. I just got my first and last one a couple of weeks ago. I honestly don''t remember running a red light because that is something I would never ordinarily do, but I guess I shouldn''t try telling that to the judge.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 7:12:27 PM
Author: Elmorton

Postage - the prices to send stuff seem SO high. Didn''t stamps used to be .29? Sending packages is so much worse, too.
I know it seems like stamps just keep going up, and for what, but hubby was telling me it''s because of gas. Every time gas goes up a penny, it costs the PO an insane amount of money per day. Think about it, all those trucks...

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 6:45:41 PM
Author: bee*
I hate buying gym clothes-no idea why, I just hate spending the money on it.
I am the same way! I flat refuse to buy them, though, because I usually work our at home.

Brynn

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/28/2008 10:50:33 PM
Author: mela lu
paying a cover charge at bars!!!!

I won''t colour my hair because I think its a waste of money (...until I get greys - then I''ll fork it over)

I hate when restaurants try to ''sell'' you bottled water. Tap water is good enough for me ;-)

I don''t buy my lunch at work. I brownbag it.

Parking.

Renewal fees for ID. Everyone needs ID, so I think the renewals are a total cash grab.

Thats all for now
16.gif
Ugh! I pretty much agree with all of these Mela Lu!

Oh! And replacements for anything. *sigh*

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I just spent $150 on an exterminator the other day. Painful.

I hate having to spend money on mental health for my son. Not becuase I think he does not need or deserve it. He totally does. but becuase I resent that my insurance company does not see it as a necessity and covers ZERO percent of it. That if he broke his arm they would pay but don''t consider mental health a legitimate cost. This steams me to no end.

Dental stuff thats unexpected. Last year I had root canal and then a crown on that tooth. Even though I have dental insurance, it only covered 50% so it was still $1,000 out of pocket.

Spending money to fix vandalizing, like when you find someone elses car paint color on your car becuase they slammed into you and did not leave a note.

Or plumbing problems and then having to pay a contractor to fix the wall that the plumbers had to destroy to get to the pipe in question.

Tampons! Hate spending money on those.

I could go on and on and on but I am too tired.

Great thread and fun to read othes responses.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
I'm with Elmorton... BOOKS. I like some good fluffy "chick lit" once in a while... but I read very, very fast and can't bring myself to spend $16 on something I'm going to finish in 2 hours. So now I'll only buy one if it's super-small print and 400+ pages, and I can get it on Amazon for cheaper.
3.gif
Text books used to drive me crazy too... $100 a book?? Seriously??

My other pet peeve is the cost of toppings on pizza. We have a local place that charges $3 a topping... c'mon!! That's ridiculous. Or the take-out places that charge for each little extra (guacamole, cheese, etc). DH and I argue more over the cost of food/groceries than anything else. I go for the cheapest, most generic option, always... while he just buys what he likes with no regard to the cost. Drives me insane!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I feel like toothbrushes and socks should never cost more than $2.

I''m happy to pay for them, I love new toothbrush day, but I really feel like they should cost less.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
emp! I hate when restaurants charge you for a side of sour cream (or the like) too! Or to add cheese or something! So annoying!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 8:10:38 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux
Home repairs and major appliances--Not fun expenditures and I can''t wear them!
AIIIGHHHHHHHH. AIIGHHHHHHHHH. This is all we''ve spent on the last couple of years. If one more major thing breaks or falls off or needs to be painted or anything of the sort I WILL PITCH A TENT ON MY LAWN AND MOVE THE FRICK INTO IT.

Did I mention AIIIGHHHHHHH?

Patiently_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Alexis & Linda - I feel your pain. I am also *ahem* gifted up top and have trouble finding decent (cute) bras for a good price. I usually mail order mine and wait for sales and hope they have cute ones left in my size!

ephemery1 - I agree with you on the pizza place extras. BF & I recently picked up a few pizzas on a Fri night and after we paid, I asked for ONE packet of grated cheese. The person told me that they are supposed to charge for it but don''t worry about it - ugh!
38.gif

I also agree with others on the cost of movies, movie theatre food, etc. I rarely go to movies for this very reason. I''d rather wait until they come out on video unless it''s really a must see in the theatre.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too hate paying to take my money from the ATM. Really seems unfair to pay to take out my money. I am sure I can think of more...

krisvrn

Brilliant_Rock
Gas right now. LOL. But that is not an extra, I guess I could always drive our spare car rather than our SUV.

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
Shoes. I know, I know -- I''m an anomaly amongst females. But seriously, they go on your FEET. And they are super expensive (unless you go the Payless route, but those types of shoes always hurt my feet).

Also, going to the movies. We always just wait til it comes out on video. I''d rather watch most movies at home, anyway. Comfier, better food, no strange people kicking your seat...

And BAD food. I don''t mind splurging on restaurant meals when it''s worth it. But I hate when a $50-60 meal for two turns out to be totally mediocre.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results