shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you HATE spending money on?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
So besides the *OBVIOUS* (bills, mortgage/rent, gas, food, etc...) what "extras" in life do you hate spending money on?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cars (depreciate the moment you drive them off the lot), haircuts, movies, um . . . everything. hehe I want to keep the money all for myself
face20.gif
lol

eta: Airport food & water, school books and school (so expensive but worth it).

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
The movies. I love movies, and I''ll pay to go see them, but walking in after paying $20 to just SEE the movie, and then being expected to pay $5 for a bottle of water that I could have bought elsewhere for $1, gets me every time.

So I''ve decided that we''re only going to see matinees if BF insists on us going to see movies at this particular theater, and we''ll eat and drink beforehand.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Toll roads. Especially I-95. I always find backroads to avoid paying tolls.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
clothes

I''m a horrible shopper. It takes me hours to get around to even spending £10 on a t-shirt. I will do it if pushed and I find the perfect thing. I can talk myself out of buying almost any item of clothing.

I also don''t like paying for movies or other sources of very temporary entertainment.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
Gift bags. I know that sounds corny but some of them are so expensive and they are just paper!!! I usually try to buy at the discount store because I can''t bring myself to spend $4.00 on a gift bag. I also enjoy buying cards for people but the prices of those get me too.

Also, when I am out and about and thirsty, bottled water. I just saw some tonight for $1.79. For one bottle! It''s just water!

Concession food of course at the movies is a total rip off and makes me so angry when I am at the theatre. Also, I try to check out the matinee as well since it is usually less crowded and cheaper. One time it was just me, dh, and one other guy watching a movie. It was kind of amusing because we weren''t sure if he worked at the threatre or not.

Of course with the higher prices of everything now, I notice myself getting sticker shock a lot more often, especially at the grocery store. I''ve seen some big increases there.

One other thing I find expensive is my dog''s grooming. She needs to go every 6 weeks ideally, but we usually take her closer to 8 weeks. It can run up to $45. I know the groomers have experience and it isn''t an easy job, but it really bugs me having to spend that kind of cash to get my dog''s haircut. It costs less for my haircut with my local hairdresser! It is worth it I suppose as she needs it (she is a schnauzer), but it''s one thing I don''t look forward to. I tried to groom her myself but that didn''t work out so well!
emsmilep.gif
Let''s just say she won''t sit still for me and I don''t have the proper tools. It ended up with me yelling and with her not too happy!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m with Skippy...airport bottled water pisses me off. You can''t take any in, but they can charge you $4 a bottle? So wrong.

Since I have always gotten them with my job, I think I would hate to pay for laptop computers and cell phones. And being a new mom, the price of diapers and formula still has me in shock...but I guess those aren''t "extras."

But just baby stuff in general is nuts...yet I would rather spend money on my daughter than on me. So I guess I hate spending money on me for any type of extras!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Toilet paper. Okay, so it''s not an "extra," but $10 per pack? (Big pack, but not THAT big.) It''s gotten ridiculous.

Light bulbs.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Cover charges when going to a bar

copays for doctors apts and drugs

food on the airplane, or any overpriced food product at the airport

Parking

I am sure I can think of more....

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Martinis...Especially weak ones! It irritates the tar out of me to pay 9 bucks on a weak drink! I''d rather mix it up at home anyway!
martini.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Food and drink at most live venues (theatre, baseball stadiums, etc.) as it is typically mediocre and overpriced. But our local theatre is the exception to the rule, their little outdoor has yummy soup in a bread bowl at a reasonable cost and they have wine!

The things we do spend money on are things we both enjoy such as dinner out a couple times a week, clothes shopping (a few times a year), travel, etc. but otherwise I don't spend money on anything (I don't have a Starbucks habit, don't buy the latest DVDs, use the library for books for the most part, etc.) and DH does all of the household shopping so I don't have much to hate.

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/28/2008 7:47:11 PM
Author: Miranda
Martinis...Especially weak ones! It irritates the tar out of me to pay 9 bucks on a weak drink! I''d rather mix it up at home anyway!
martini.gif
ooohhh, ditto, I can''t STAND that!!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
clothes, shoes (unless they are to do something fun like rock climb or go horseback riding), anything having to do with electronics, cars...and I hate to say it on this forum, but jewelry (when DH put money aside for a RHR, I stuck it in my 401k). Basically anything but food, travel, thing that appreciate in value or provide fantastic experiences.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate spending money on my hair too! Probably why I haven''t gotten a trim in so long and use cheaper shampoo/conditioners. Airports do get to me! You are so right Skippy and TGal.

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Yup -- I agree with everything everyone has suggested. I think I''m just cheap (DH would remind me to say "frugal", though). We go to movies maybe once per year (people annoy me so much, I''d rather wait and watch things at home where I can control cell phones and talking). I despise clothes shopping -- I honestly wish I could do this better as I''d love to look better and more put together ... but I get frustrated and things either never seem to fit right or cost a fortune (and when I do spend a lot it seems those items fall apart faster than the rest). Ugh.

Date: 6/28/2008 7:31:19 PM
Author: TravelingGal
I''m with Skippy...airport bottled water pisses me off. You can''t take any in, but they can charge you $4 a bottle? So wrong.
Oh, and just to prove how frugal I am ... I don''t travel a ton, but the bottled water thing really got to me. I finally decided to see if I could get an empty bottle through security. It does (at least for where I traveled), and now I bring an empty bottle and fill it with the water fountain once I get past security. I figure the only thing I''m risking is 1) throwing away an empty bottle and 2) potential increased time and searching at security.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aside from gems, anything that's not on sale.

P.S. Happy Belated Birthday!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
WATER (except that runs out of my faucet) and AIR (yes, air! our gas station makes you pay for the air to put in your tires!!)

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Diapers, bras (overpriced!), and late fees!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2008 9:21:59 PM
Author: Harriet
Aside from gems, anything that's not on sale.

Me too.
Husband and I were discussing this today when we were out jewelry shopping.
31.gif
I can justify any gem/jewelry purchase. Everything else? BAH!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2008 9:37:55 PM
Author: coatimundi

Date: 6/28/2008 9:21:59 PM
Author: Harriet
Aside from gems, anything that''s not on sale.

Me too.
Husband and I were discussing this today when we were out jewelry shopping.
31.gif
I can justify any gem/jewelry purchase. Everything else? BAH!
Ah, my pal.
9.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Hair. I hate having to spend money on my hair. And I''m in the process of going blonde (needed a BIG change) so I''m having to shell out $$$ every time I go to the salon.

Books. I love buying books, but I *hate* spending the money. However, I reread everything, so I feel it''s worth it to buy them.

Sheets! I hate buying sheets. And they''re so freaking expensive if you want something that''s more comfortable than a hospital bed.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I don''t consider formula/diapers as "extras"
9.gif
They are necessities in my house!

I hate paying for shipping charges too (when shopping online) I always try to find a coupon (don''t always).

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
rent...but hopefully we will own a home in the next couple of years!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
My hair!! Keeping it highlighted and looking nice. Big expense. Right now I need a trim and a highlight. Will cost me an arm and a leg next week.

Toll booths:
14.gif
Seems they are always going up.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
I am totally with you on the bra thing...I have a..um....*ahem* larger chest area than most people my age (23) and i have to buy all my bras at victorias secret so they are usually around 45-60 bucks a piece. They have great bras but they are to darn expensive to avoid that gravity will eventually do to me anyways.....
38.gif
15.gif
14.gif
11.gif
7.gif
20.gif

I also hate movie theaters when they rip you for food....we usually sneak in...like tonight we went and saw Wall E and we brought in cans of soda and pop tarts and gummy bears for the kids. We have brought in checkers and stuff before too...

TP, detergent,tampons, shampoo and other household goods that literally go down the drain...I just see dollar signs just go straight down the drain too....

I wish we could all figure out how to really "stick it to the man" but it seems we all just get taken for a ride....this whole economy thing sucks....

We pay for the rising costs of cars, fuel, daily essentials and taxes but our paycheck does not increase..its all crap......

If I didnt have to drive everywhere here in MD to get to places because they are so spread out, I could conserve on gas, but that is not an option any more....we have conserved in others ways though.....

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Alexis, I am with you on the bras. I am.... uh..... gifted in that area too. Bras are expensive.

Linda

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I forgot about the bra thing! Oh my goodness, I can''t even cope with how much bras cost. It drives me nuts because I can''t use cheap bras. I''m just too large on top to wear the cheap ones.
38.gif
Plus they stop looking pretty at my size and just look ridiculous when I want to buy a pretty one.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Princess, Oh boy you have that right. No pretty colors at all!!!!!
14.gif

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2008 9:54:54 PM
Author: princesss
Hair. I hate having to spend money on my hair. And I''m in the process of going blonde (needed a BIG change) so I''m having to shell out $$$ every time I go to the salon.

Books. I love buying books, but I *hate* spending the money. However, I reread everything, so I feel it''s worth it to buy them.

Sheets! I hate buying sheets. And they''re so freaking expensive if you want something that''s more comfortable than a hospital bed.
Try bed bath and beyond''s modal jersey sheets. They aren''t terribly pretty, but they are the most comfortable sheets I have ever used, even more so than the very expensive ones I had growing up. Plus, they are quite cheap.

I hate paying for most insurance. I know it is technically something I have to do, but other than medical, I don''t like it. If it were a good deal for the consumer, then the companies that provided the services would be non-profits, not multi-billionares.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
as for the bras I always tell Frankie don''t blame me that they are not pretty....he just says he doesnt care what it looks like on....
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
total man statement there....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results