shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you guys think of this whole pledge thing?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Babylon1023

Rough_Rock
Forgive me for posting something way off topic but I just want to know how people really feel about this. Personally I don't know what to think about this whole thing. On one hand, I have to agree with the guy that the under God clause should not have been put in there back in the 50's and that the pledge would be just fine without it. However, legally speaking, it's a horrible can of worms that would entail the alteration of countless songs and government displays/documents. Not only that, but he's kind of coming across as an obnoxious and uncaring idiot. I'll be honest with you guys, I'm an atheist too, but what I've learned today is that somethings are better left alone. Yes I would like it if the Pledge had no God clause in it and the phrase "In God We Trust" was taken off the money (it really isn't necessary and it is rather inconsiderate of a lot of people who aren't Judeo-Christian), but to me it is not worth the emotional damage it will cause this predominantly religious country. We aren't living in the Dark Ages anymore, and today's religion is a lot more focussed on love and hope more than it has ever been in history. Taking that in perspective, this kind of stuff is easily ignored even though it gets on my nerves from time to time. When change comes about it has to be a majority decision, not just some guy raising hell and not caring what most of the country thinks or feels. Also, from the way the news is portraying it people think the whole pledge is being outlawed, when all that needs to be repealed is the two word addition that shouldn't have been there in the first place. This whole thing could have been handled more delicately but appearantly he's going to be a jerk and the media is going to twist it and the public is going to overreact. In the end, he will do more damage to non religious people than he can imagine. Well, that's what I have to say, and honestly I'm torn between both ends and I have a headache...:blackeye:

Jess

Rough_Rock
Hey Babylon,
I don't mind replying. I am a Christian, and probably more of one than most that claim to be. I myself don't have a problem with "under God" being in the pledge. I do have a problem with changing the rules every time someone gets his feelings hurt. I believe that people are created beings with free will to choose what they will. I think it is pitiful that one jerk of a guy whines about his kids getting exposed to something that he doesn't like and he gets his way. If I pull my kids out of school to home school because I do not like the liberal slant on things, I am a backwoods right-wing weirdo. In the same way, I don't like that they are teaching evolution to children like it an undisputed fact and never mentioning creation. Evolution is definitely not an undisputed fact, and even the scientists that support it will tell you that. On the other hand, I do not think that preventing them from being exposed to that belief is right either. Let there be a choice. I think the same is with the pledge. If you don't think it is right, don't say it, or leave out the "under God" part, but let there be a choice. With the money, I don't know. Like I said, I am a Christian and like it on there, and I do think it would be WAY too much trouble to change.

I think this turned out to me way more than 2 cents, but there it is!
:twirl:

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
As a 7 year old atheist child, I hated the reference to God in the Pledge.

As an adult convert to Christianity I am indifferent. After all, the reference to God is hardly a resounding expression of faith, and hardly an affirmation of the God of the Judeo-Christian tradition.

There is a myth circulating that atheists are a persecuted minority in this country, a myth bolstered by polls that show that 95% of Americans believe in God. But when you did deeper and find out what their ideas are about God, you find a huge departure from the God revealed in the Old and New Testaments. In America, for better or for worse, faith in "God" means whatever you want it to mean.

Only the most superficial atheist would fail to apprehend that. And only a superficial atheist with a huge chip on his shoulder (or psychological problem) would take the matter to court.

Babylon1023

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I know what you guys mean. People are getting a bit whiny around here. Like I said I personally would never have brought it up as it is too much trouble and hurt to change what has been done. It really should never have been done, but what's done is done. I always thought the issue as a whole could use some national attention, but this guy is hell bent on shoving it down everybody's throat like some crazed evalgelist. I personally don't like his attitude towards everybody, as this is a VERY delicate subject. Oh, well. Better things to worry about, like pretty shiny rocks and weddings and the like! Let's drop it! Sorry for the intrusion.

Jess

Rough_Rock
I appreciate you not wanting this to get on the "hot topic" list. I think bringing it up is fine, and I think we are all mature adults. I appreciate you being open to what others think, Babylon. Have you guys see the discussion on Superbcert V. H&A (I think)! I know you posted there, Caratz...0h my. not going there!
:errrr:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results