shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you guys think about wearing black at a wedding?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I'm getting married in the spring at 4 o'clock and I certainly hope people aren't dressed in black! Weddings are supposed to be joyous events, so I don't really find black necessary or all that appropriate.

I'm planning on wearing black with a hat AND veil!! Maybe I'll cry into my handkerchief a bit too.... with gulpy sobs!!!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Upgradable|1306437878|2931021 said:
I'm getting married in the spring at 4 o'clock and I certainly hope people aren't dressed in black! Weddings are supposed to be joyous events, so I don't really find black necessary or all that appropriate.

I'm planning on wearing black with a hat AND veil!! Maybe I'll cry into my handkerchief a bit too.... with gulpy sobs!!!

But that won't look nearly as good with your new tourmaline ring!! A good PSer should have at least one gown made to match her jewelry. :lol: :lol: When are we going to go visit Mo in The Village??

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NovemberBride, my bridesmaids wore black dresses, too! I thought they looked fab. They had colored sashes for a pop of color.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl|1306440086|2931055 said:
Upgradable|1306437878|2931021 said:

But that won't look nearly as good with your new tourmaline ring!! A good PSer should have at least one gown made to match her jewelry. :lol: :lol: When are we going to go visit Mo in The Village??
As soon as I lose 20 lbs!! :shock:

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Most people look great in black and probably the main reason why more and more people break the rules lol.
Black is perfectly acceptable and classic, specially for an evening wedding dressed up with tasteful jewelry and a colorful shawl and shoes.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think black is perfect for a wedding. A lot of people wear black over here at weddings.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
The bride and groom get to dictate a lot of things about their wedding day. What their guests wear is not one of them. They can denote a requested dress code, i.e. 'black tie', and it is considerate of guests to try and honor that, but it all comes down to circumstance. Would you turn away a dear friend who could not afford black tie attire, but wore the nice, clean, black dress already in their closet? Expectations and expenses for weddings are out of control; weddings are about joyously bringing family and friends together to celebrate, which has zero to do with the color palette of the guest list.

You have a found a very pretty dress that fits you and you will wear again- wear it, regardless of color.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KittyGolightly|1306437763|2931019 said:
So, off topic, but are thank you cards not supposed to have thank you printed on the front? Because that's what I've been sending out for my wedding gifts, and should probably stop if it's considered tacky. :-o

Haha I haven't a clue, I actually read that on here -

StonieGrl|1296087285|2834104 said:
Sillyberry x2. No prob with one note, just get 'em out in a timely fashion, LOL.

If anyone wanted to 'go there' the only supersniffy thing about thank you notes is that they should not be written on THANK YOU notes, meaning have THANK YOU printed on them (I know a lot of people do disagree and have used them lots and these are sold almost everywhere but the poster is asking and I'm mentioning this because depending on whom the recipients are, some people do know that these are not, strictly speaking, correct).

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wore black to my own wedding...lol well, we got married at lunchtime and I had to go back to work! :lol: At my friends weddings, its usually something black , gray or dark blue unless I was in the wedding party.

You should be fine though. lot of the so called no no colors are prefectly fine for weddings these days.

The one thing I've seen that made my mouth fall open is seeing these young gals at some of the weddings I've been to, running around with half they butt hanging out looking like they forgot the bottom half of their attire. Seriously, if it looks like a shirt, its likely a shirt. No need to try to pull it down to try to make it look like a mini dress.

-A

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think black is more than appropriate for formal or evening weddings. I light to add a punch of color by wearing a chunky turqouise necklace and matching shoes, or something fun like that...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it all depends on the couple's social circle and what's generally accepted. If I wanted to wear black to a wedding, I'd consider whether that was something I thought the couple's other guests would do as well. That being said, I don't wear black to weddings (unless I have to, which I have as a bridesmaid) but I wasn't upset that a couple of our guests chose to wore black to our wedding.

misssoph

Shiny_Rock
I think it is probably wise to ask first, maybe family or matron of honor. In my family/parents family friends of Irish-catholic Australian background wearing black to a wedding would be unusual and considered inappropriate but I have been to many of my friends weddings were many if not most of the female guests were in black.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I'm intrigued at how many 'rules' there are in the USA compared with here in the UK regarding dress at weddings.

In general our weddings are much more formal but there are no rules about not wearing certain colours. It would be seen as very odd if someone turned up in what looked like a wedding dress, but many people wear white or cream or oyster or ivory to a wedding and it's seen as totally appropriate. After all there is a big difference between a woman in a oyster-coloured suit with a big hat and the bride.

Black and red are also fine. One of my favourite wedding outfits was a huge black hat with ostrich feathers with a black jacket. I do make a point of wearing a coloured jacket with a black dress and a coloured dress with a black jacket but that is mainly because it looks better on me.

The rudest and most inappropriate thing in my opinion is to not make an effort and to turn up in scruffy clothes or jeans or something. Or to ignore the dress code - Samatha Cameron (the British PM's wife) made a total faux pas by not wearing a hat - a hair-slide is not a hat Samantha - to the Royal Weddding despite it saying hats on the invitation.

I went to a formal church wedding here in London a few years ago and a friend and one of my BILs turned up without ties (they were wearing suits). I ticked them off about it outside the church and they said they hadn't realised. When we all arrived at the reception they weren't allowed in and had to go off shopping for ties and thus miss the pre-dinner drinks. :rolleyes:

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
I can't imagine caring about what people are wearing to my wedding. I mean, we're having an intimate ceremony without a bridal party, but the last thing I'm worried about is if anyone will wear black. I personally think a lot of these rules are old-fashioned and silly. But that's just my take.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Historically, women didn't wear black except in mourning. Men wore black jacket and black trousers at night in contrast to womens' bared skin and glittering jewels.

Then, weight became a problem for more women, and black is slimming. It also took fashion by storm; today, we still have "XXX is the new black!" even though it never is... A woman religious remarked to me in the 90s that it used to be very difficult to find black swimsuits, it being the most conservative color, but it had gotten to be very fashionable.

Black suits for men are still considered to be an etiquette faux pas, as the wearers tend to look like funeral directors, and are a fashion no-go due black's harshness in the daytime and the lack of makeup's aid in preventing a washed-out complexion.

I think today, there is a isn't a case to be made against black. Black in the daytime is a bit harsh. For evening, a black cocktail dress can be a little boring without some accessories; a little black dress is considered a wardrobe staple, but can be a great choice as long as the outfit isn't something you'd wear on just any old night out. Where I see black being most appropriate is a long evening dress, since such a dress by design says "party" and not mourning, and the starkness of black is not a concern at night. But the bon vivants know that midnight blue is where it's at.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results