shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you do for a living?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ArtistJess

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, not sure if this has been done before, but since I'm (fairly) new here I thought that a fun way to get to know everyone a little better would be to discuss what we all do for a living. I don't mind starting...

Okay.. so I graduated school in February, and the last year I WAS working as the senior graphic artist at a large digital media company in Texas. I was able to work with some big names such as Dell, Walgreens, and Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston (tooting my own horn a little by name-dropping.. but hey, a girl can be proud of accomplishments after working EXTREMELY hard to achieve them, right?
9.gif
9.gif
). However, some things happened after the deal with Dell that made me feel like I was being taken advantage of. I quit and two weeks later I started a new job on Halloween, doing graphic design for a very well-known and respected photojournalist back in Louisiana closer to family and wedding location. I work primarily with brides, which really gives me some interesting ideas about cool things I can do for my wedding. Paycheck took a hit, but I think it's a fair trade because I absolutely LOVE it. It is by far the best job I have ever had. I have found that I prefer working one-on-one with clients and individuals, as opposed to working with huge suits and corporations.

In my free time I do freelance graphic design and art. I have also just purchased a nice Canon digital SLR so that I can revisit my love of photography as a hobby.

That might be more than you guys wanted to know!
37.gif
Sorry!

Can't wait to hear from everyone!

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
2nd year law student
39.gif

It doesn''t provide me a living yet...but it''s what I do
14.gif

The way things are going, I can only hope it''ll provide me with a living...someday...eventually
39.gif
*knocking on wood*
28.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Graphic Designer here too
1.gif
Currently I''ve been working in QA testing websites though since the Graphic Design industry is pretty cut throat here in denver. I spend my spare time building up my portfolio by doing free websites for family and friends
1.gif
Although I''ve started charging for those I don''t know. Just working my way up
2.gif

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
I work in finance, as does my fiance.
2.gif

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I work for an energy company. I work on corrective billing adjustments. Is it my dream job? Absolutely not. But it pays the bills and in this economy, I''m not complaining.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Special ed teacher, currently going back to grad school for my masters in special ed with an endorsement in autism.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I''m a lawyer. To quote my husband (said tongue-in-cheek), I "help people avoid the logical consequences of their actions."

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
I''m an SAP logistics functional consultant and I work for a big mining company, in the Marketing department.

if you have to look up SAP, please don''t bother because it is very boring. however, if you''re into IT and looking for a career, I would highly recommend it because it pays good money.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I an ultrasound tech. I do both general and vascular. I feel blessed to have picked a career that after ten years I can still say I love.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wife and mom, and 1 day a week I work at my Dr''s office doing front desk and scanning/indexing records into patient''s electronic records.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Retired family lawyer. Just doing some pro bono now.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
wedding planner in NYC

After 8 years, I still love going to work every day. Although, the "occupational hazards" of the job are surfacing now that it has come time to plan my own wedding. In my line of work, I get to see first hand why the wedding industry is a multi-BILLION dollar industry. Unfortunately, I know whats out there and I know what can be done...and I want it ALL.
12.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I''m a physiotherapist, hoping to do a masters in public health in September. Would like to someday work for the WHO.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stay at home wife and mother. Previously worked in banking.

JerseyGrl81

Shiny_Rock
I am a 4th grade teacher. I love my job!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am a full time mother and study part time towards a degree in Social Sciences.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IT. FI is a MechE grad student.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am a bonbon eater but I work *really* hard at it ;-)

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a nurse, small business owner and mother of three.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
Not a thing......
I''m retired......
From nursing.....
Caring for special needs kids

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I am a freelance writer. I write short articles on family and parenting for various local publications. Good way for me to stay home with my daughter and still bring in income. Other than writing I am a stay at home mom. My husband owns a restaurant.

Erinleigh

Shiny_Rock
I''m a research associate in an academic laboratory that studies female reproductive biology & ovarian/breast cancers. I''ve actually only been in the job since September, as I graduated from my Master''s in August, but I''m enjoying it so far!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Retired secondary school teacher.
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/17/2010 3:15:22 PM
Author: Travel Goddess
I work for an energy company. I work on corrective billing adjustments. Is it my dream job? Absolutely not. But it pays the bills and in this economy, I''m not complaining.
so your the one who''s been sending me those high electric bills?
slap4.gif

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
I work for a financial software company, but I''m an aspiring nap taker.
9.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Administrator and oversee Accounting department for Commercial Real Estate Firm

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Admissions and Marketing Director at a skilled nursing facility (nursing home).
I graduated with a degree in Health Sciences specializing in Geriatrics and Gerontology.

At times I feel like an ambulance chaser, always trying to get people into the facility. I plan on either going further into marketing, nursing home administration, or hospital services as my career progresses.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
opera singer, non-profit fundraising and internal strategy, and pursuing an MBA.

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Nothing yet, but I''m finishing undergrad in May and *hopefully* going to grad school starting in the fall to become an Occupational Therapist. DH is the sole worker for now (as a financial analyst).

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
fun thread!

I am currently finishing up a BS in Biomedical Sciences- I LOVE all my biomed courses- physics and chem, not so much, but they have their place. With that I will be pursuing a spot at a school of Osteopathic medicine- woohoo!
FI is the ''breadwinner'' at the moment. He is a personal trainer and loves it very much. His clients are great and he feels good knowing that he is empowering people with the skills to improve their health. I hope to do the same in my future profession
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results