shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you all think of these Radiants?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooeemusic|1447858471|3951260 said:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/0.50-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-432245 No, terrible light return under the table

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06394548?click_id=123872944 No picture so nothing to go by. Need to stick with
JA or somewhere that has pictures of fancy cut stones. I'll take a look at JA for you and see if I can find anything.

Just looking for thoughts as I'm still on the hunt.
Thanks!

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Ty!
I actually searched JA a little more after I posted that and realize the .5 is probably not a good buy.
My H actually bought a stone, it's a .5, but it's from a big box chain, an I1 and an I color...It does sparkle quite a bit, but, it also has a bowtie that I can see and I'm just not convinced it's the best we could do for the price.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
It's for a right hand ring. Max I would say is around $1000.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Music,
Radiant cut diamonds are quite different form many other shapes- and although radiant cuts are very popular in the real world, unfortunately the shape has never been embraced here on PS- hence there's really not a lot of radiant experts here.....

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Rock!

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
bump to see if anyone has an opinion on the last one I posted.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That last one doesnt look like it's going to have very good light return to me (IMO).

You know you can pick up to 3 stones, request asets and get a gemologist opinion on them. With that being said, it only works
if the stones are located in the NY area.

If your credit card/budget allows, you could order a couple and send back the one you dont want. Being able to see them in person
and being able to play with them in different lighting situations would really be helpful.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
tyty333|1447943410|3951701 said:
That last one doesnt look like it's going to have very good light return to me (IMO).

You know you can pick up to 3 stones, request asets and get a gemologist opinion on them. With that being said, it only works
if the stones are located in the NY area.

If your credit card/budget allows, you could order a couple and send back the one you dont want. Being able to see them in person
and being able to play with them in different lighting situations would really be helpful.

Oh, no, did not know that Ty, maybe I will request an aset on the H .51 and hope they are able to do it.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI music, what would you like to see in the ASET?

What I wrote above applies to ASET interpretation as well. If someone else "reads' the aset, you';ll only get their opinion, which very well might vary from yours.
My point is that if you pick by eye using pics, you're just as likely to choose well.
Make sure you get a money back guarantee- and once you get the stone in hand you'll know if it's right.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Rockdiamond|1447962787|3951806 said:
HI music, what would you like to see in the ASET?

What I wrote above applies to ASET interpretation as well. If someone else "reads' the aset, you';ll only get their opinion, which very well might vary from yours.
My point is that if you pick by eye using pics, you're just as likely to choose well.
Make sure you get a money back guarantee- and once you get the stone in hand you'll know if it's right.

Right, I understand that with a cut like this it is mostly about what looks good to the naked eye, but, if they can provide an ASET to at least get some idea of the light performance before physically having it in my hand, I wouldn't think it would hurt to at least look at it, if they would let me see the image. Don't most places usually send you a screen shot of the actual ASET, not just a report from a gemologist that looked at it?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Music,]
ASET is virtually unheard of outside AGSL stores, and PS.
SO, there's not standard for how ASET images are taken, or transmitted.

I can tell you that understanding what the ASET is telling us is not all that simple- in the case of a well cut radiant, it's near impossible with the current assessment literature.
TO be able to understand a radiant ASET you'd need to look at a lot of actual stones and their corresponding ASET...
Which is why I think photos are far more informative for consumers.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Only one I liked but it is square:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/0.47-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-618593

JA's radiants are either cut too deep or with very large tables and few have nice faceting (a lot of gray mush which is leakage/not returning light)...good grief!

You can get a cushion and set it in a cut cornered setting. 4.5 x 4.5 is a really tiny stone, which is what you will get with the radiants I'm seeing on JA.

Stones this small do not usually show inclusions unless they are large and black ...

I would splurge for this 5.3x 6.1 cushion ...even if it is an I1 clarity:
It is elongated and faces up like a 1 carat stone. Plus it is a "cushion brilliant" which are a very rare & nice facet pattern in cushion cuts. Cut is KING and you will notice that this stone has NO gray mush under the table or anywhere else.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.83-carat-i-color-i1-clarity-sku-703308

Another excellent cut elongated cushion:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.73-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-sku-674394

this one is phenomenal cushion brilliant and F color...note the small table 54% and high crown and in budget...truly perfection!!!:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.51-carat-f-color-si1-clarity-sku-678575

Elongated:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.50-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-734459

in budget but small but will show you an ASET image:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/0-50ct-i-si1-modern-cushion-diamond.html

Please note that a well cut lower colored stone can face up whiter and brighter than a poorer cut higher colored stone....contrary to what most ppl might think. you can have a high color/high clarity ugly diamond believe it or not.

Cushions on JA are not cut as deep as radiants....the deeper the stone the smaller it will face up.
You will have more choices and get a larger face up diamond if you go with a cushion and set it in a cut cornered setting.

I had two 4mm x6mm .5c emerald cut stones for stud earrings GIA D SI1 so I know how small these .5c stones are. I would try to find at least a 5mm x5mm stone you can afford for a ring. Have you looked at a 4.5 x 4.5mm stone in person?

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the suggestions Ariel and for the link ty. I will give it all a look when. I can get back to my computer. I have seen a Stine that size in real life Ariel. The one my hubby got that I'm not sure about is almost exactly 5mm by 4mm. Herr are some pics of it. Not great pics at all but if anyone has any thoughts on it... 20151119_203941.jpg

20151119_200224.jpg

20151119_191204.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like some of the cushions ariel posted. Does it definitely have to be a radiant?

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
tyty333|1448023196|3952046 said:
I really like some of the cushions ariel posted. Does it definitely have to be a radiant?

I would prefer it be a radiant. My husband hates, with a capital H, cushions, and since this is basically his project for me, I really don't want to get a stone he doesn't like the shape of.

Just because I'm looking at some other shapes this morning...is this an example of a high clarity, high color stone that is badly cut? It doesn't look like it sparkles at all to me.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.50-carat-e-color-if-clarity-sku-596901

sharonyanddave

Rough_Rock
ooeemusic said:

$1000 Budget, if I was looking for size I'd go with a colored stone or save more.

Definitely not looking at high color and clarity diamond, in this size the body color is not that noticeable you can get away with I J K color.

I agree with Rockdiamond I wouldnt be using an ASET or let LP guide my decision you have enough constraints already without worrying about the best in LP.

The priority should be size of the outline shape and size of the virtual facets(sparkles). In 0.5 carat flashes are really tiny and a lot that aren't visible to the eye so you want to try to choose one with bigger than average virtual facets(sparkles) which is what I think a lot of the posters in this thread are trying to do with the pictures at James Allen.

The stone your H bought do you notice a big black bowtie across the middle of it? Does it sparkle or always look dark? Thats just about the the one thing I'd try to avoid.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
sharonyanddave|1448030510|3952072 said:
ooeemusic said:

$1000 Budget, if I was looking for size I'd go with a colored stone or save more.

Definitely not looking at high color and clarity diamond, in this size the body color is not that noticeable you can get away with I J K color.

I agree with Rockdiamond I wouldnt be using an ASET or let LP guide my decision you have enough constraints already without worrying about the best in LP.

The priority should be size of the outline shape and size of the virtual facets(sparkles). In 0.5 carat flashes are really tiny and a lot that aren't visible to the eye so you want to try to choose one with bigger than average virtual facets(sparkles) which is what I think a lot of the posters in this thread are trying to do with the pictures at James Allen.

The stone your H bought do you notice a big black bowtie across the middle of it? Does it sparkle or always look dark? Thats just about the the one thing I'd try to avoid.
Yes, I do notice the big black bowtie in it, that's what I said up there somewhere is my concern, are you asking if the bowtie area every sparkles? I'll have to give it another look tonight, the rest of the stone really does sparkle, but I agree about avoiding a huge bowtie in the middle, because to me, it's basically all I would look at.

I'm not going for size. a .5 to no bigger than a .75 is about where I want to stay. I'm also not interested in a colored stone. I'd be fine with an I if it faces up fairly white. Any opinion about the cushion I posted?

sharonyanddave

Rough_Rock
ooeemusic|1448030839|3952073 said:
I'm not going for size. a .5 to no bigger than a .75 is about where I want to stay. I'm also not interested in a colored stone. I'd be fine with an I if it faces up fairly white. Any opinion about the cushion I posted?

You lost me, 0.75 is not going to be in your budget, but as a general rule with fancies don't look at carat weight look at length and width as the weight ratio varies significantly depending upon the cut. If you are widening your search to Cushions it changes things dramatically.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! The first link leads me to a search page, the 2nd is actually one I was considering!

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
sharonyanddave|1448033931|3952093 said:
ooeemusic|1448030839|3952073 said:

You lost me, 0.75 is not going to be in your budget, but as a general rule with fancies don't look at carat weight look at length and width as the weight ratio varies significantly depending upon the cut. If you are widening your search to Cushions it changes things dramatically.

Maybe I misread, I thought you said you would go for size over quality. Maybe I misunderstood. I would rather have something that is good quality and smaller, than getting something bigger just for the size of it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results